Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Styles or players that make you want to give up playing...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chick-N-Picker, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    Death Metal or Country makes me wish they would give up playing.

brookdalebill and O- Fender like this.

2. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    There are too many highly skilled and musically knowledgeable guitar guitar players in the world for me to waste my time comparing myself to them. I will never be able to do what they do. But, neither can any of them do what I do, I guarantee it. (Not that they'd want to, but hey, whatever gets you through the night, right?)

Dave W likes this.

3. ElJay370

ElJay370 TDPRI Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Los Angeles, CA
    Any good bottleneck players....Duane Allman, Billy Gibbons, Lowell George, Jimmy Page, Johnny Winter, Rory Gallagher, Ry Cooder. Every 3 or 4 years I try to give slide playing another go, but then I listen to those guys and just say “Screw it. I’ll never get to that level.”

4. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

Jan 25, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    Eh...at this point in my life, I'm not trying to prove anything with my guitar playing. I don't get hung up on what I can't do, and I don't get envious of those who are more skilled.

Not that I don't practice...I do. If I hear something that blows me away, I'll take the time to sit down with it and get to the essence of what the guitarist was doing and see if I can apply that to my own playing.

5. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

Mar 25, 2003
    Canada
    I don't want to quit, just makes me realize how many different ways there are to play guitar and that I won't get to that level of expertise.

But then you have to consider the level of passion and interest they must have in order to want to spend the time to learn to do what they do.

6. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Nothing changes my view on my own playing
    Why should it ?

Im a total hack , but I am still able to make something work with other people , front a band , and from time to time , even make some toanz that make my hair stand up , LOL...

Sure, I cant play like Steve Vai ,and I dont care
    I cant play slide like Derek Trucks , wish I could but Im still a fan

No , I dont want to watch the latest Youtube video of a blind 8yo that plays way better guitar than I will ever be able to , Im just not interested......

I just listened to some Chet Atkins , will never be able to do that kind of playing either , but , Im still a fan

Dave W likes this.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm convinced you're exaggerating.

But in New Orleans, We're always surrounded by way too much talent. Not going to drop any names, but I've talked to some of our most celebrated guitar and other musician/heroes in New Orleans, and even they will admit they're not always the best player on their block. There's just a sea of unrecognized talent, and I've long since stopped worrying about all the new youngsters that are better now, playing 18 months, than I ever was or ever will be.

I've represented people in car accident injury claims, only to find out about the time we're settling and closing out the case, that they have their own group or they play with one of the Brass Bands, and there's so many of 'em singing Gospel I completely lost track. I took guitar lessons from one of my clients (and he taught me a ton) only to find out he's primarily a pianist and plays guitar on the side.

Toto'sDad likes this.

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    It is amazing how many people there are who can not only play guitar, but play really well. Years ago a guy who I worked with who came over from Spain came to my house along with another co-worker, and spotted a 12 sting guitar that I had. He asked if he could play it, sure I said. He picked it up tuned it quickly by ear, and broke out singing in his native tongue in the most beautiful melodic baritone voice that you can imagine, his finger style accompaniment was as good as his singing.

My daughter in law is a very accomplished classical pianist, but can pick up a guitar or violin and improvise along with almost any kind of music. She was first chair violin in high school, but can play by ear just as well as by note. One year for my birthday when I was still playing the five string banjo, she brought along a friend who played guitar, she played the fiddle, and we played for quite a while together. It was a wonderful BD present that I treasure to this day.

9. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

Nov 28, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    My quick answer is likely to be, "almost any other guitar player I hear." But I'm like Papa Joe: I play for my own gratification, not anybody else's.

Due to an injury and life-changing events, I gave up guitar playing for 30 years. I'd played for 22 before that, and was pretty good. If I hadn't quit, I'd probably be pretty awesome today. As it is, I'm a bedroom player, and content to be that way.

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I do what I do and I'm happy with it. I'll never be a guitar god. Rather then get upset I just enjoy my hero's playing and if I can steel a few licks, I'm happy.

11. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    I don't care a wit about hot shot guitar players, I learned a long time ago no matter how good you think you are, there's always someone better.

12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Several years ago I quit comparing myself to other players...when I asked them to play the licks I did easily (they were going to play a song my band had recorded and I was going to play harp/harmonica on them live)...and they struggled with them

I realized I struggled with something that didn't flow naturally because of my technique/style/(lack of) formal training...and they might have a hard time duplicating my idiosyncrasies, too. I can't do exactly what Player _____ did, but I'll bet he couldn't play Texas Roadhouse Music, either.

13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Several years ago I quit comparing myself to other players...when I asked them to play the licks I did easily (they were going to play a song my band had recorded and I was going to play harp/harmonica on them live)...and they struggled with them

I realized I struggled with something that didn't flow naturally because of my technique/style/(lack of) formal training...and they might have a hard time duplicating my idiosyncrasies, too. I can't do exactly what Player _____ did, but I'll bet he couldn't play Texas Roadhouse Music, either.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.