Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Styles or players that make you want to give up playing...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chick-N-Picker, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Shidoin

Shidoin Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 7, 2009
    Ventura CA
    Ted Greene.
    He could fearlessly go forth on almost any type of tune, in any key. Freely improvising without dropping the harmony, melody, or rhythm while carrying on a running commentary on the tune, it’s structure, and possible alternate approaches.
    Didn’t make me want to quit, but sure was (and is)humbling.

televillian, brookdalebill and DougM like this.

2. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I always feel inspired after seeing an outstanding performance. Comparing what you can't do to what others can isn't really helpful.

tintag27, TeleTown and DougM like this.

3. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

Jul 4, 2008
    California
    The guys I played with recently. I was not at my best, to say the least. And my best is pretty lame, I'm afraid. I stopped playing for a week I was so pissed at myself.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Hands down right now it is Rev. Gary Davis. I can't get that ragtime into my brain no matter what I do.

I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it ... :mad:

DougM likes this.

5. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    Upper Midwest
    +1 Inspired. I love listening to all sorts of musical styles, all sorts of players. I also like and will continue to play and sing.

I never think about this giving up playing/singing idea except when other folks start talking about it.

6. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    Montclair, NJ
    Jazz guitar. I studied 2 1/2 years with a real pro, a gifted musician and teacher. Not that I expected to be some brilliant player, but I remain amazed how deep jazz thinking and technique runs. How difficult it is to be even a mediocre jazz player. A lot of study later, I can feel things seeping in and changing me, but it's slow.

7. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    I labor under the illusion that everyone has something unique to offer.

;)

8. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Holic

Mar 23, 2003
    Midland TX
    Two people that hands down astonish me every time I hear them play...regardless of circumstance:

1) Rick McCrae... formerly of ‘Ace in the Hole’ band, now working with a Jason Roberts, et al...has the smoothest chops, most miraculous tone and tasteful technique of anyone I’ve ever encountered. I was blessed to stand next to Rick for a few gigs some years back...genuinely nice man as well.

2) Leon Rhodes...recently deceased, Leon played with Ernest Tubb and the Texas Trubadours. He could play the absolute cornball stuff, but when cut loose could tear into lightning fast jazz/Western swing the likes of which will probably never be repeated. Original in tone, style, and technique. He’s on YouTube, watch him if you need to get humbled. I’ve watched his stuff over and over, slowed it down using ProTools, and still have no idea how he did some of those things...RIP.

cnlbb and ndcaster like this.

9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Mea. I don't have to go as far as Tommy Emmanuel to find someone who plays guitar better than me. I could probably go door to door, and find someone on my block who could beat my playing. If I was gonna quit because someone was better than me, I woulda quit a long time ago.

Now as far as fixing the Guild, or trading it for something I liked better, that's right up my alley. I'm sure there are lots of things within your scope that you could do to make the Guild more playable. Go slow and learn as you go, don't mess with anything you can't put back. The nut if you are careful you can adjust, if you mess up there's always superglue and baking soda, or bone shavings. The saddle is the same, I shaved the saddle too low on my D-18 years ago, and cut a sliver of a shim and put it under the saddle and it was that way for years. That thing was always a cannon, maybe I just got lucky with whatever I put under there, but it worked. If the truss rod will move, you can adjust it yourself. The thing that could make all this moot, is that box guitars can need a neck reset, if they do, it's pretty difficult to work around that. I'm sure no matter what it needs though, the guitar could probably be made more playable with little outlay.

The truss rod is the starting point, if it will turn, get the neck back in shape first. Let the forum know what it looks like, I'm sure there are lots of guys here who could give you some advice. The advice is free, good thing about that, if you don't like it, you don't have to take it.

10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    If you think you feel inadequate watching someone play guitar better than you do, try playing golf as an amateur and then go watch a PGA event. To see a guy hit a drive as far as two good shots of yours and straighter than anything in the bag you have, and know it is simply beyond your physical limitations to EVER do that, well, you just have to go with what you got. About the only thing you can really control in your life is hooking up with a good woman, and that ain't easy either. Just ask Blowtorch! :D

Paul Jenkin likes this.

11. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I would agree; everyone has something they do that is their thing, hang on to that & work it. You can draw a lot from others, but constantly comparing yourself to others or looking for areas where you fall short, is counter productive.

12. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    10 or so years ago, I occasionally subbed in a adult hockey league, it was pretty low key but we did have a coach, and one gung ho player, who was always "we should do this , we should try that". He was real big on wanting to video tape every practice & game "like the pros" finally the coach put him straight.." this is not the pros..not even close, there is nothing more discouraging than watching tape of beer league hockey..you wanna make movies move to Hollywood"

13. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Anyone who can actually play could give me cause to sell-up and move on, but they don't. I'm an enthusiastic but time-poor hack who's trying to get to a point where I can strum along with songs and work out chords and stuff and not look like / sound like a complete numpty.

There are songs by artists that give me hope (not because the artist isn't very good but, for whatever reason, the song is a bit more accessible). Others are so far ahead of me that I could play from now until the end of what's left of my life and never come close.

In some ways, this makes life a bit simpler as I know I'm only doing this for fun.

The guys who make me want to progress and learn are the likes of Bernard Allison, Ty Tabor and Mike Campbell. I've still got no hope of getting close to their skill but they play things that I might be able to strum along to.

The only thing that would make me want to give up is myself, if I were to find no enjoyment in doing what I set out to do.

14. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2003
    Minnesota
    No player or style could ever make me want to either give up or try harder.

Music is not a competition. I play because I love it. Sure, there are great players I admire, but I don't want to be them.

Random1643 likes this.

15. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Nothing will ever make me stop playing, but I was jamming with some people this weekend playing some covers and the lead guy is really good. He whipped out some Led Zep solos that kicked ass and I thought to myself, "Man that's really excellent, but if that's the next step up the learning curve for me then no thanks." I love listening to Zep, and I know if I put the time in I could learn a few of those canonical solos, but that's not what I like to play. Part of me though was like "if you want to be a guitar player you have to know some of that stuff even if you don't like it." It was a bummer. Kind of an "eat your vegetables" moment.

16. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    I agree with the Tommy Emmanuel feelings. Also, watching Chet play is pretty humbling. Albert Lee? Different tangent-Jerry Douglas?

17. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    I'm only really good at a couple things, so the list of things I'm not good at is effectively infinite

it doesn't bother me anymore -- not even seeing young players who can play circles around me bothers me anymore

after all, you can only give what you've got

working at it is fun and keeps the mind sharp, which for most of us is probably enough -- the aperture for future fame and fortune in music is extremely small

if you make the best of what you can do now, in the places you have near at hand, then you're probably doing it right

the science is in: anxiety makes it harder to learn

so relax

here's the mountain I look at:

tintag27 likes this.

18. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Steve Hunter
    Danny Gatton
    Nels Cline
    Brian Setzer

The list goes on, my mood dictates whether I feel like "what's the point?" or "I wanna learn how to do that." All these guys make me feel both ways

Chick-N-Picker likes this.

19. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    Macclesfield, UK
    I can identify and agree with your eloquently worded comment... I also saw Jimi when I was a teen - at that time I even had a 1963 white Stratocaster myself!
    It could have been a crushing moment getting home after that concert and picking up that guitar. But the show was so uplifting, and Jimi was a really nice guy with an infectious joy and passion to his playing, that I never had more than a moment of doubt that I would keep playing music for the rest of my life... that's what real Heroes do for you!

20. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Great finger pickers drive me crazy. I'm a hybrid picker. But dearly wish early on I had learned to full bore finger pick well.

Chick-N-Picker likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.