Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Styles or players that make you want to give up playing...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chick-N-Picker, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    ...or work harder to achieve.

For me its two styles that really get me down. The worst is by far finger style stuff. Think Tommy Emmanuel or Jerry Reed. I've always wanted to get really good at this whether it be with a thumb pick or hybrid picking. Tommy does it both ways, which is encouraging since I mainly hybrid.

I've gave it a go a few times but usually never progress as far as I want. I mean I can do it somewhat but not oike I can play bluegrass, country, blues, and rocknroll.

But when I think retrospectively about those four genres they were really really hard to learn, especially country and bluegrass. Yet, I put the hours, days, and years into learning them. So why do I give up on this style. It's not because I'm not willing to do the work, that's never stopped me.

Then I watched a Tommy Emmanuel video on youtube today and I think he helped me discover the answer. My trusty old Guild has become become very difficult to play over the last 1-3 years. Not sure how long it been bad but over the last year or more I've been noticing it and complaining bigtime. I've played it until it's wearing out. I'm sure it needs a nut, a re-fret, truss rod adjusted, possible new saddle, etc.

He talks about how this can effect people struggling and even cause carpel tunnel later on. I had never put the two and two together. I guess after playing for 11 years I had forgot that the instrument does make a big difference. I've never been one to use excuses. If I want to do something I learn how but I guess it comes a time to admit that my tool is holding me back. Time to work on it myself, just like I do everything else. I'll post some up to date pictures of my Guild tomorrow. It's looking old these days.

He starts talking about it at 14:47.

smartsoul72 likes this.

2. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia

3. Pickcity

Pickcity Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2017
    Atlanta, Ga.
    There are plenty of guys who send me back to the woodshed, and I would be posting vids all day if I showed a small portion of them, so instead I'll post the last one I watched. I'm a big fan of Brian Setzer. This one is pretty phenomenal.

4. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Nothing or nobody will every make me want to quit playing..
    Just makes me work harder..

5. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    Pat Martino, Lenny Breau, George Van Eps, Howard Alden, Wes Montgomery ... the list continues to the next line and off your screen.

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2006

7. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    Never wanted to quit.....its a little late for that now. But, I enjoy these two guys and admire their musicianship.

DougM and TheOneFatGuy like this.

8. idjster

idjster Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

This would be my position on it, too, really. Thanks Papa Joe!

william tele likes this.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Though I agree with Papa Joe, regarding quitting, there are lots of guys that play beautiful music beyond my scope.
    My hometown hero Eric Johnson, Tuck Andress, Pat Martino, John Scofield, Alan Holdsworth, and the late Lenny Breau, Ted Greene, Django, and Shawn Lane.

10. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Too many to list them all, but the latest is Molly Tuttle. Her video where she shows her cross picking style is dumbfounding. I think she, like many others who easily do things that us mere mortals can't even imagine, let alone execute, is secretly an alien visitor from an advanced civilization.

elihu likes this.

11. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm with Papa Joe on this one. They all just make me want to expand my capabilities.
    If there were not people like that, things might get a little boring.

DougM and jrblue like this.

12. televillian

televillian Tele-Meister

Oct 3, 2013
    Clarkdale, AZ
    youngsters like Julian Lage make me question my grasp of reality

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    boris bubbanov and DougM like this.

13. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm pretty comfortable knowing those guys and gals are the astronauts that explored the unknown capabilities of music and technique that I'll never get to. Bless em' all!

14. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    Pretty much everybody I hear play. At 57, I start doing the Math on how long it would take for me to get there and it doesnt look good.

chiefline and DougM like this.

15. TheOneFatGuy

TheOneFatGuy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2012
    Sheffield
    Very few people make me want to give up playing guitar, but I'm finding banjo very tricky. A lot of fingerpicking on guitar is difficult for me as well.

One guitarist that always makes me work harder is Todd Rundgren. Jim Steinman said that to record the final solo in Bat Out Of Hell, Rundgren just fiddled with some knobs on his amp, and then launched into it - the motorcycle sound leading seamlessly into the solo. I wish I could be at that level - my lead chops are sloppy at best, and this is the one solo that always encourages me to work harder.

tintag27 and DougM like this.

16. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Holic

Aug 25, 2016
    I sometimes see videos of stuff like a 9 year old Japanese girl playing perfect double speed Rachmaninoff on two guitars simultaneously behind her back in midair... and yeah, it kinda makes me question the extent of my capabilities a little.

DougM likes this.

17. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    I long ago came to terms with the presence of phenomenal players with abilities way beyond my grasp. Like Papa Joe, if find more excitement in encountering these guys than I do any sense of defeat or frustration. Seeing Hendrix when I was 16 made me want to play more. Ditto everyone since then. The only players who I find discouraging are the absolute posers who are fundamentally commercial acts. Really hate that bogus theatrical nonsense, which I think detracts from the reputation of the guitar in general.

tintag27 and DougM like this.

18. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    This guy can really burn bebop (check out his Donna Lee) but I love his grasp of harmony and counterpoint. Really nice...

19. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    Just about every day I see someone I’ve never seen before on YouTube who makes me think I should play more golf. Then I remember that above all else, this is supposed to be fun. That’s when I know everything’s gonna be alright.

elihu and DougM like this.

20. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Holic

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    There was a series of army recruiting ads a few years back with a "Be all you can be" theme. I can't be anyone else. I'd love to bring jazz into my playing like Elvis Costello. I'd love to be able to sing and solo together like Brad Paisley. Chickn pickn still eludes me. I refuse to feel bad about it. I can hardly believe that at 68 I keep getting better. I know that can't last forever but I read a thread earlier today about a young guy with MS who's playing against all odds. It's all about perspective. No giving up here.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.