Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Style You Listen to but Don’t Play

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by rave, May 16, 2018.

1. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

Sep 23, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    What we listen to is our influences, but what comes out is often different with traces of the influences. Otherwise your just repeating what you've heard.
    What comes out can change with moods and age.

YeOldeTeleDuder likes this.

3. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Feb 2, 2010
    Houston, TX
    So I think there is a difference between playing a style, and being a true practitioner of that style.

For instance... I understand jazz harmony, improvisation, and I know a fair amount of standards, even a few Parker heads etc. That being said, if somebody called me to play a straight ahead jazz gig, I would probably give it to a friend of mine that is a bona fide jazz player, and hope that he sends me his calls for country gigs. IE- If on the course of a gig, we were to all decide to play Cherokee, I would kill it, but after the first 3 or 4 songs I imagine the well would start to run dry.

The flipside is, I could play a country gig and never repeat the same lick all night. I love jazz, and I can play jazz, but I will probably never be a Jazz player.

YeOldeTeleDuder likes this.

4. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Feb 24, 2005
    Florida Panhandle

5. The Angle

The Angle TDPRI Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    Put me down for another gypsy jazz. Love it; can't seem to play it.

6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA

7. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

Jan 25, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    No diving required...if you can keep a beat, and you know basic chords, you can play reggae on the guitar.

8. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Turkish makam, Indian raga, Zulu maskandi. I try to mimic them sometimes for fun, but I'd never claim to play any of those three.

9. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Holic

Aug 25, 2016
    Real reggae guitar may be more challenging than it seems. It's really easy to play too much. And there may only be 2 or 3 basic barre chords in a song, but if you don't get the tone, rhythm and muting right... well, just listen to some of the not-entirely-convincing efforts of Clapton, Page and Andy Summers, not to mention countless less conspicuously gifted American fratboys :D

10. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Ska is a big one for me. If I were going to try to play it, I'd be more likely to dust off my trombone than play guitar.

11. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2007
    Brittany

12. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I listen to jazz and classical music, but other then a couple of standards, I don't play jazz and symphony music just smokes my brain if I try to break it down and analyze it. I do steal melodies from both genres.

13. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion TDPRI Member

Apr 11, 2017
    Louisville

14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Nope. I only listen to the kind of stuff I play or would like to learn to play.

16. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Folk, classical, some disco.

17. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    I often listen to the classical station on the way to work. No way I could play any of that.

18. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Indian Classical, some prog rock - it's just too difficult! I would if I could.
    Tuvan Throat singing - same excuse.

19. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Tele-Meister

May 21, 2010
    Elizabethtown, KY
    I love Chet Atkins-Merle Travis thumb picking style guitar, but I can't really play it.

I listen to a lot of it, but I mostly play with a flat pick as I have since 1964.

20. stardawg77

stardawg77 TDPRI Member

Nov 7, 2016
    US
    #metoo.... reggae has touched me in some way and even though it's mostly 3 chords and I know I could easily figure most of it out...I prefer to listen. As musicians we tend to dive into music and pick it apart to the point that we no longer listen to music like normal people.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.