Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Studio Monitors vs Reamping for live jams??

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Desert Rat, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Denmark, Maine
    So lately I have been playing through Apple's MainStage using Logic's Amp Designer and other plug-ins. I'm using a Focusrite interface into my mac and mainly using headphones for monitoring. However for the times when I'm able to play louder I'm wondering whether my money would be better spent on a pair of powered studio monitors or using a reamp device to get the line level monitor signal from the Focusrite back to my amps. I'd mostly be using the amps as monitors as I'll do all signal processing through MainStage. The other option of course would be a small PA of some sort.

I do like the flexibility and features of this mac based "amp" system but need to come up with a solution that will allow me to jam with others.

Appreciate the clues! Dave

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    If you run it into your amps, there will be some coloration of the tone that you may or may not like (both from the amp and the speakers used). If your amps have effects loops, you can simply run the monitor outs from the Focusrite straight into them at that point, which will bypass the preamps in the amps. If you are happy with the sounds you are getting through your headphones, then a small PA setup or even a keyboard amp (or two for stereo) would be the best way to go.

3. muronero

muronero Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2011
    shanghai
    How about the powerengine 60 by tech21?

4. davmac

davmac Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    +1. I regularly use a variety of options with my PodXT.

At home through my recording monitor set up (amp and passives), keyboard amp or occasionally turn the speaker sim off and put it through a Fender Twin.
    Jamming, I'll use a keyboard amp, or floor/wedge monitor.
    Live, usually direct to the PA.

If I had to pick just one then it'd probably be the keyboard amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.