Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Studio monitors.. help me decide

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by puddin, Jun 2, 2017.

1. puddin

puddin Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2010
    Punta Gorda, florida

2. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    They are quite good for the price.

I am using the LSR 28Ps, they are monsters.

For the money the Presonus Sceptres are nice, they are coaxial, and have very good DSP.

3. puddin

puddin Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2010
    Punta Gorda, florida

Thank you Sir.. I'm willing to spend more..I'm just concerned about the hiss. Is this common. I suffer from tinnitus.. looking for something good, that's dead silent. I don't know .. maybe to much internet.

4. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2011
    Lansing, Michigan
    puddin likes this.

5. privatesalt

privatesalt Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2014
    Alabama
    I'm not familiar with the monitors but noticed they had input sensitivity switch. Maybe that is being set wrong causing hiss?

jimash and puddin like this.

6. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2016
    Belgrade
    Beside JBL, there are many, like Adam, Tannoy, KRK...

P.S. I love JBL, have two pairs, LSR6328P and Control1 Pro. I have Adam A7, also.

puddin likes this.

7. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2016
    Belgrade
    Few days ago, I talked with a guy in a shop regarding a new pair of monitor speakers, just to have something beside (and for playing) bunch of keyboards. So, I look around to see what's new in low price range, with 5 (maybe even 8) inch bass driver.

So far, the M-Audio is the lowest priced, and I'm considering Tannoy, KRK, Adam or even maybe another JBL. The guy played a 3 Adam monitors, F5, A7X, and a larger one which is near a thousend bucks per piece. The quality difference between F5 and A7X was immediately obvious, in favour of more expensive A7X. No wonder, F series is Adam's low end. Based on that comparision, I would never buy F5. YMMV.

So, if you have any chance to hear them side by side, with same refference material in the same room, one by another, I suggest you to try the as largest offer as possible.

For usual studio work, I wouldn't suggest anything with below 8 inch bass driver. For my current search/application, just playing 5 keyboards (keys-mixer-monitors), I think I can get away with 5 inch driver.

8. Millebern

Millebern Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2011
    Canada
    +1 for the Equators, great monitors.

puddin likes this.

9. RedWhiteBlues

RedWhiteBlues Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2014
    Canada
    I'm sitting in front of a set of the LSR305's these as I type this. Outstanding monitors, outstanding value - no hiss that I can hear... cannot figure why the larger more expensive 308's would be worse...

Felino and puddin like this.

10. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2016
    Belgrade
    Since I'm cosidering buying another pair of monitors, I'd like to know have you compared 305 with other 5 inch monitors and if so, with which one(s)?

11. RedWhiteBlues

RedWhiteBlues Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2014
    Canada
    I had some KRK's for about an hour - nice, but not as flat a response and, at the time, more expensive. I got the JBL's at a great sale price. I like the JBL's better. I also read a ton of reviews which helped sway my decision.

Felino likes this.

12. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    I have Events on my desk. They were not expensive, and they sound glorious. If the monitors hiss, they are probably turned up too high.
    Gain staging counts. Turn them down to about 1/2, so that whatever you're feeding them with can breathe a little.

puddin likes this.

13. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I had a pair of those JBLs for a short time. I had issues with my Tannoy Reveals, so I bought them to finish a project and kept them for about a year.

Now, I have Neumann KH-120s.

The Neumann monitors are fantastic, especially if you're in a smaller room. If you can afford them they're amazing.

That being said, the JBLs are way nicer than they should be for the price. Having owned and used them for a year I have zero complaints.

There was a slight amount of hiss with the JBLs, but nothing that ever bothered me that much.

14. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc

15. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2016
    Belgrade
    Thank you, @RedWhiteBlues and the others for insight of JBLs.
    I hope that OP has more information on the subject.

16. puddin

puddin Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2010
    Punta Gorda, florida
    I do appreciate everyone's help. The 308's are on top of my list... because of all the good reviews, and the price point. Getting ready to call my man Jason, at Sweetwater.. thank's all.

17. Allthesound

Allthesound Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2011
    Connecticut
    I went monitor shopping in the fall , went to GC determined to pickup the JBL LSR308's and went home with the Yamaha HS8's . It wasn't even close sound wise. The Yamaha are superior IMHO. They are a little more but you get what you pay for.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017

18. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    One word of caution when looking for studio monitors- they're not supposed to sound "good." They're supposed to be neutral, so you can hear everything going on in a mix in order to get the balances right. Stereo speakers are often hyped to accentuate the low end, scoop out some lower mid and boost the upper mids in order to sound more "pleasing" or "exciting"- that's a deathtrap for mixing music. It's always a good idea to check your mixes on "real world" speakers, but you don't have a chance unless you know what's actually going on in the first place.

The ubiquitous Yamaha NS10s you saw in every studio in the '80s & '90s were horrible sounding speakers, but they perfectly replicated the sound from TV sets and cheap radios of the day. You needed to mix on bigger speakers that let you hear where your bass actually was and what the midrange actually sounded like, but if if your mix was happenin' on NS10s too, you knew you were doing OK.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    puddin and paratus like this.

19. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2016
    Belgrade
    ^ This.

puddin likes this.

20. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

May 6, 2009
    Texas
    I had the previous 5" JBL model LSR2532. No hiss at all - I'd check out the rest of the signal path or HF driver level if you're hearing a hiss.

Unplanned, I just got a new pair of the 5" Yamaha HS5 monitors. One of the JBLs developed a loud buzz and I was in the middle of something. At just a couple months past 5 years it was unexpected and disappointing, so I didn't look at the new model. I was hoping to wait a while and really upgrade my monitors but having just dumped a few hundred into sound treatment, had to go with a more budget friendly pair.

Anyway, I like these a lot. In my small room they are fine, and to my ear have more midrange clarity than the JBLs, though I now have to get used to something new...

(JBL said they'd sell me the amplifier section for $175! Local authorized repair shop starts at $50 bench charge, plus parts, so I'm looking at maybe picking up a used JBL to match from GC - they seem to have a fair number of singles for sale so I'm guessing they have some failures - could be good money after bad at this point though.)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.