Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Strymon Flint for Slapback?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TelZilla, Feb 17, 2017.

1. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    So I'm gassing hard for the Flint. I totally dig the two trem styles that I would use (never loved the photobug style).

I'm also wondering how close the 'Verb can get to slapback delay with the '60s verb setting and the decay at 0. Obviously no repeats, but from what I can find on Youtube, it might be usable for rockabilly style supershort delay.

Anybody use it for that?

2. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free + Supporter

Jan 29, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    The Flint is a great pedal. I love the trem sounds and all 3 of the reverb sounds are just as wonderful. However, trying to use it to get a slap back effect is kind of like using a screwdriver for a hammer. I would contend you need a delay for that.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

3. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    I have a delay. I'm just wondering.

Have you tried it and found it not to your liking? Or are you just guessing?

cowboytwang likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    It is probably usable, but a slapback and a quick room reflection (reverb) aren't the same thing. If you want real slapback, go with a delay.

JustABluesGuy and Agitator like this.

6. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    Urg, Never mind...

7. badfish_lewis

badfish_lewis Tele-Meister

Jun 26, 2014
    Toronto
    I have the flint; wouldn't use it for slapback. As suggested, a delay would work best.

Great pedal, sold my big sky and moved to the flint which is fantastic and not as complicated as the big sky can be.

8. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free + Supporter

Jan 29, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Not guessing - I have fooled around with all kinds of different settings on the reverb. No matter how you set it, it doesn't sound like slap back. I hope that answers the question.

9. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    I have the Flint and it's one of the pedals that will NEVER leave my board, whenever someone thinking about buying one, I'd happily say go for it!
    BUT it does not provide a good slapback (and we do a lot of Rockabilly, R'n'R stuff).
    What does work is a combination of a slapback delay and the tube reverb/'63trem cranked up. Great for a 60's surf sound, the more you crank up the Flint, the more spooky it gets.

10. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    - unintended double post, sorry -

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017

11. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    If slap back is your thing take a look at the Strymon Deco

12. steam-powered

steam-powered Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2013
    Midwest
    I'll echo prior posts: While the Flint is a great pedal, it won't provide a nice sounding slapback delay.

13. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I know what you mean by slap back from a verb. Yes, technically its a delay term but, I use verb instead delay for this most often as it is a smoother version of the same overall effect as a slap back delay. Im gassin' for a flint as well. I saw a video interview yesterday with Shawn Tubbs and he uses his Flint that way. He also uses a true delay slap as well.

14. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Meister

Rogue Analog (it's not) Delay seems to get some love around here, costs about $25, and IMHO does a great job at slapback. I've got a couple more expensive, versatile delays on my PT2, but my small Tele board I use for country flavored stuff uses the Rogue for slap.

15. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Holic

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    The Flint does a wonderful slapback of sorts...70s plate reverb...mix to about 11 o'clock...decay to 0.....color to taste.... let me know how you like this setting.
    A KILLER pedal. I love mine.

wulfenganck likes this.

16. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    Nope. Two different animals. Any reverb is more diffuse, or spread out, than any discreet delay. Reverb, by definition, has many, many small delays all mixed together, smeared over a larger time period. Think of a slapback delay as a single word, where reverb is more like a sentence. It can be a short sentence, but it still has more "words".

17. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I use a cheap Donner Yellow Fall delay as a dedicated slapback.

18. Birdinlays

Birdinlays TDPRI Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Manitoba Canada
    Yeah that's kinda how I use mine, it gets that Rolling Stones start me up type thing. The Flint is so the ****.

19. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    I tried out the setting Jakeboy mentions and yes, it sounds nice, somehow 60ish surfy.
    I still wouldn't call it slapback, because it not only spoils terminology and my ear tells me "it's a reeeevvveeerrrbbb" instead of "it's an echo, echo, echo....".

Up to certain point any natural reverb also contains audible reflections = echoes, just as well any natural echo contains elements of reverb, but the term "slapback" just doesn't fit here.
    The personal taste may differ - my standard slapback is about 80-10 milliseconds and usually at least 2 or 3 repeats - but I find it necessary to have a certain understanding of the terminology just for communication with other musicians, engineers, techs.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.