Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Strymon Deco owners

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by klkampman, May 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. klkampman

klkampman Tele-Meister

Jun 16, 2016
    US
    Question for Deco owners below...
    I have been a proud owner of a Deco for a couple months now. It was way above my usual price range and I feel guilty everytime I see it. I've thought about getting rid of it a few times but then I remembered how many pedals i lt replaces (flanger, chorus, slapback, stereo splitter, sorta vibrato, light tape compression and overdrive). It absolutely sound amazing on my THR5 when I'm wearing headphones during those times I need to be silent. The question is, is anybody using the Deco live through a tube amp? It does sound good to me still, but in a band mix and through a loud tube amp im not sure the difference is great enough to justify this fortune. It does sound different but I don't know if it sounds better. I play my parts with my other pedals and then try it with the saturator kicked in and again, it sounds different 'better' isn't the right word. I would say that's true if I'm playing alone and restrained, it's very tasty. Recording, headphones, solo it all makes it good. So, live in a band getting any use?
    The right deck is certainly functionable for live band mix but I could get other pedals that do a little more on their own for this. The Deco 'delay' only has 1 or 2 repeats for instance. Tell me how you're using it and if it's worth keeping.

2. MarkA

MarkA TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Creston BC
    I use my deco through 2 tube amps in stereo, the left side is always on and my tone is dialed in around it, band mates agree the deco is a big part of “my sound”.... The right side really comes to life in stereo mode, namely the slap back and is used rarely, usually in solos when I want a little extra character..

I use a mobius for my modulation and a timeline for delay... for me the deco doesn’t replace these, rather it compliments them.

It’s a keeper for me because I dropped my ep booster for thisand the effect on stereo rig is simply fantastic. But if I was playing in mono and didn’t use the saturation as a core part of my sound I’m not sure it would be worth it. I consider it a “meat or potatoe” type pedal rather than a “seasoning” for lack of a better analogy.

3. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    Hmm.
    You like the sounds.
    You use it regularly and dial in different sounds.
    You didn't sell your home, spent your savings or starve your kids for buying it.
    Where's the problem?

On a more serious note: I don't own the Deco, but other Strymon pedals. They add great effect to my sound, but as with all effects: it sounds good as long as the effect-signal doesn't cover up the original signal. Therefore I rarely have more than about 45% effect-signal.

4. klkampman

klkampman Tele-Meister

Jun 16, 2016
    US
    I love my Deco, I just think I can accomplish the same sounds with another setup. Seems to me the Deco is more useful in recording than live. For the price I could get a few other pedals. Though it's nice to have it all in one box, and the slapback is really nice, I need a little more delay (repeats) ala Echorec or Echoplex. If I could afford another $200-300 delay pedal I'd have no problem.

Wide stereo mode is great, any other way to accomplish this? Slapback is great but can get that in a more expansive delay pedal. Flanger is not my bag, would replace with a Small Stone or Phase90 phaser.

My biggest concern with getting rid of the Deco is stereo mode. I love the sound of splitting the signal with the right deck being slightly delayed for a wide sound, doubletracked. Would a 'regular' stereo delay pedal get me there? (Alter Ego v2) And I set my tape saturation very low but always on. Would a EP preamp mimic the same slightly compressed warm tone?

5. MarkA

MarkA TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Creston BC
    The EP booster on my rig had a totally different character from the deco, more bottom end, less clarity and "warmth". There is something special to the deco saturation on my rig.

Stereo mode is an issue, I have not been able to achieve the nice stereo width effect with any other pedal yet. I'd like to try keeley 30ms or the TC Mimiq to accomplish the same thing... but the deco just has it all in 1 box.. soo... :)

klkampman likes this.

6. klkampman

klkampman Tele-Meister

Jun 16, 2016
    US
    Thanks. Guess I'll be saving up for a new delay to go with the Deco. I'm GASing hard for Catalinbread Echorec, SA Nemesis, or Dawner Prince Boonar. May have to settle for an Alter Ego 2 for now. Any opinions on the AE2? Will it fill my Echoplex/Echorec list or will I be disappointed and wish I'd waited for the 'better' pedals? Still gotta have some left for more fuzzes, a phaser, volume pedal, and tuning pedal to name a few.

Attached Files:

7. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    The Echorec sounds great - I was considering one, but then was able to get a T-Rex Reptile Version 1 (no tap, but seperate switch for modulation) for a ridiculous price. It stayed on my main board for a couple of years until I got hold of a.....Strymon El Capistan......and thus, the circle is complete.....

8. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    And if you use the an expression pedal with the Saturation control, you are on a totally new level.

I keep mentioning the use of an expression pedal on these Strymon pedals, and it seems that people still don't experience what these things can really do. I've got the Deco, Flint and Lex now, with an expression pedal on each one. Saturation, Intensity, Speed. It's a new world, my friends.

9. Craig Thomas

Craig Thomas TDPRI Member

May 4, 2016
    Indiana
    It’s a great pedal that has a ton of uses. The Saturation section is nice but the Delay Section is great. Use it a quick Slap to fatten your tone or set it up a subtle “Zero-thru” type flanger. You get two pedals in one box each with a lot of different tones. I would never sell mine. For me it’s all about adding subtle but tasty flavor to my playing. I don’t want too much to get in the way. I use it with a Blackface Princeton. There is a guy that does lessons on youtube that uses his through old Supro’s. Killer pedal indeed.

10. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Does that mean that the right side only comes on when the pedal is on? When the pedal is bypassed, your second amp is effectively muted? Am I understanding that correctly?

11. MarkA

MarkA TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Creston BC
    Nope, left and right out are the same (dual mono) when the right side of the pedal is off. Then when the right side is engaged the stereo effects kick in. Make sense?

12. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yes! Thank you!

13. scout2112

scout2112 TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2017
    Colorado, USA
    I bought one new from Sweetwater, and the power adapter that came with it crapped out on me within 30 minutes. The power supply just looked cheap. I was disappointed with the whole experience, and sent it back. Loved the sounds I got out of it, but for a $300 pedal they shouldn't be including those cheap wall warts. Not sure what other experiences that people have had with it?

14. MarkA

MarkA TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Creston BC
    That sucks, I've never used their included power supply but I do use a Strymon Zuma and Ojai r.30 to power my board, both have been perfect.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.