Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Strymon Deco owners

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by klkampman, May 17, 2018 at 1:58 PM.

Tags:
  1. klkampman

klkampman TDPRI Member

Jun 16, 2016
    US
    Question for Deco owners below...
    I have been a proud owner of a Deco for a couple months now. It was way above my usual price range and I feel guilty everytime I see it. I've thought about getting rid of it a few times but then I remembered how many pedals i lt replaces (flanger, chorus, slapback, stereo splitter, sorta vibrato, light tape compression and overdrive). It absolutely sound amazing on my THR5 when I'm wearing headphones during those times I need to be silent. The question is, is anybody using the Deco live through a tube amp? It does sound good to me still, but in a band mix and through a loud tube amp im not sure the difference is great enough to justify this fortune. It does sound different but I don't know if it sounds better. I play my parts with my other pedals and then try it with the saturator kicked in and again, it sounds different 'better' isn't the right word. I would say that's true if I'm playing alone and restrained, it's very tasty. Recording, headphones, solo it all makes it good. So, live in a band getting any use?
    The right deck is certainly functionable for live band mix but I could get other pedals that do a little more on their own for this. The Deco 'delay' only has 1 or 2 repeats for instance. Tell me how you're using it and if it's worth keeping.

2. MarkA

MarkA TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Creston BC
    I use my deco through 2 tube amps in stereo, the left side is always on and my tone is dialed in around it, band mates agree the deco is a big part of “my sound”.... The right side really comes to life in stereo mode, namely the slap back and is used rarely, usually in solos when I want a little extra character..

I use a mobius for my modulation and a timeline for delay... for me the deco doesn’t replace these, rather it compliments them.

It’s a keeper for me because I dropped my ep booster for thisand the effect on stereo rig is simply fantastic. But if I was playing in mono and didn’t use the saturation as a core part of my sound I’m not sure it would be worth it. I consider it a “meat or potatoe” type pedal rather than a “seasoning” for lack of a better analogy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.