Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Strymon Club

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by gitapik, Mar 10, 2013.

1. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 16, 2010
    New York City
    My bad.

Yeah...I went through that, too. I ran through some tests with the folks at Strymon and they were surprised about the "glitch", themselves.

Seems that when you power off the board and then turn it on again, the Mix parameter on the Favorite switch reverts to whatever's on the main unit's knob (as you said).

I found two solutions that worked for me:

1) BEFORE you power off your board (or whatever pedal(s) you're using), you click your Favorite switch off and then turn the main El Cap unit to bypass. When you power the board (or El Cap) up again, the pedal will show as being on but bypassed and the Favorite switch will be off. When you click it in for effect, the Favorite switch should have the preset you arranged, originally.

2) If (when, heheheh) you forget to do step 1, you just click the Favorite switch to the off position, bypass El Cap, and then activate El Cap and then the Favorite switch, again. Your preset should be there.

Give it a shot and let me know how it works for you.

2. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

May 27, 2012
    Napa
    Thanks for the help, it seems to be working.

FWIW, yesterday was the 1st time I really felt like I had dialed in the Spring setting on my Blue Sky.

chemobrainkid likes this.

3. Jubal81

Jubal81 Tele-Meister

Apr 17, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm a firm believer in "de gustibus non est disputandem."

People love 'em. To me it sounded like my guitar and tube amp were traded in for the toy Casio keyboard I got in 1986.

4. Tronc the cube

Tronc the cube Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2013
    North Queensland
    Haven't even explored the secondary features of my el cap's dials. Enjoying it heaps

5. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2009
    Michigan
    It would be easier to figure out if these things werent so damn expensive. :).

Im thinking i need the flint no matter what, and then from there either the el cap or timeline - perhaps both. I feel like the el cap would be more suited to me as it is more plug and play - and tape delay is my favorite. But the timeline has so many cool other delays! Ahhhh.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

6. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 16, 2010
    New York City
    Agreed. It's great out of the box.

You might want to check out the Reverb function, though. It opens up some great options, both adding to or taking away from the level.

I've got the favorite switch. I've set it for a subtle double repeat with no reverb because I use a light reverb from my amp. It's my basic goto delay setting. Then, when I switch away from the Favorite, I can add more reverb for effect (or not) on the main unit.

7. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

May 27, 2012
    Napa
    Haha, yeah. Honestly, set every knob to noon and it'll sound good.

8. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2008
    california
    i have both the timeline and the mobius and they are great sounding and great fun. i also have an ep3 echoplex and an original fender reverb. while neither the timeline nor the mobius can do what the echoplex and fender reverb can do, the mobius and and timeline do what the echoplex and fender reverb can't . one major thing is that the newer gear is much quieter. ha!

play music!

9. turnstylepoet

turnstylepoet TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Denver
    I am still loving my El Cap. I built a Fav switch and I can cover just about all the ground I need to with those two settings. My saved preset is a clearer rhythmic delay and my settings are for a big ambient delay with lots of dark, modulated repeats. If I want a huge wash I increase the mix (with my foot) and if I want a subtle wash beneath my dry tone I dial it back. I've had delays with a multitude of presets in the past and I spent far more time tweaking then playing and even then I don't think I enjoyed the tonality of the delays nearly as much as I enjoy my El Cap. I can't see this pedal going anywhere.

Here is a shot of my pedalboard and my Esquire'd tele which I play into a Vox Night Train & Vox212bn cab.
    [​IMG]

10. Long_Ghost

Long_Ghost Tele-Meister

Aug 28, 2003
    Vancouver, Washington
    El Capistan, and a Flint on my board.

11. sevycat

sevycat Tele-Meister

Aug 8, 2008
    Newark, DE.
    I just ordered mine, so it will be a short while before I get to tinker around with it. Seems like there is a lot of love for this pedal and that is why I went for it.

12. teleNtweed

teleNtweed Tele-Holic

Nov 27, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Well, I currently have an El Cap. About 4 months ago I bought a new Taylor and convinced myself that I did not need all of that heavy iron so I sold my El Cap, Lex and Flint. I went back to my Rotomachine, DD7 and RV7 and all are nice pedals but I almost immediately missed the El Cap and had to replace it. Today I ordered my Flint as I miss the Trem. I am sure it is a matter of time before I reacquire the Lex as well once the sting of the big Taylor purchase fades a bit more! I don’t go for the big Strymon multi units but the Flint and El Cap are complete no brainer effects for anyone who loves music from the last 50 years!

Oh, and I got a fav switch for my El Cap also. That is handy! I save my stock slap back sound and the set the pedal for a sound that works well with tap temp. Really sweet! This time will see the addition of the tap tempo for the Flint!!

13. teleNtweed

teleNtweed Tele-Holic

Nov 27, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Nice board!

14. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2009
    Michigan
    Finally pulled the trigger a few months ago. Couldn't be happier. What I like is that I use this stuff for small coloration usually but if I'm in the mood it can get totally bonkers and awesome in a heartbeat.

image-4048902242.jpg

15. Paulie13

Paulie13 Tele-Holic

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta
    Great looking board!

I have had my eye on an El Capistan for awhile. Trying to unload a zendrive and a few other pedals to pick one up ASAP

16. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Feb 17, 2007
    Portugal
    I got a Flint some days ago but I'm having a hard time getting a nice 60's spring reverb sound.
    Always sounds to me like a fast delay trying to sound like a reverb!
    The trem. side is great.

17. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

May 27, 2012
    Napa
    I had a blue sky that I traded for a flint because i thought the spring would be better. Untrue. The flints spring sounds like an amp that has real springs but it's a solid state instead of a tube rectifier. It does sound Better (it my ears) with the Trem engaged.

18. Clankton

Clankton TDPRI Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Melbourne
    I love my El Cap and experimenting with its placement in the loop set alongside a reverb and tremolo. Right now I have it first in the loop, going into my Surf Rider reverb, then into a tremolo before returning to the amp. I live the sound of all 3 together!

I'm gassing for a that new Strymon Sky... but to be honest I'm not sure if it would end up being used for any of its fancy stuff, so echo wise I'm sticking with this setup. For now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

19. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

May 27, 2012
    Napa
    You've got it set in the generally accepted spot.

20. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

May 27, 2012
    Napa
    This may be the wrong place for this but here it goes:

i have a Blue Sky and a Flint. It's overkill I know but I got such a good deal that I can easily make money selling these two.

Here's the question. Is it worth it for me to replace the two with the blue sky or the space and free up $100-200, or is it worth my time (as a guy who loves reverb) to keep them.

Thoughts?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.