Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Strymon Brigadier Delay

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by LP26, May 11, 2018.

1. LP26

LP26 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Earth (Part-Time)
    I'm in the market for a new delay pedal and, on paper so to speak, I'm quite taken by the Sermon Brigadier. I have a Flint and it is, hands down, the best Reverb/Tremolo pedal I have ever owned - and I do own a few very good ones.

So, from those of you with real world experience with the Brigadier, I'd love to hear some opinions before I forge ahead and put my money on the counter.

Thanks…

rjtwangs and DaphneBlue like this.

2. LP26

Nov 5, 2017
    Earth (Part-Time)
    Well, no responses, but…

Well, as I thought I would, I succumbed to temptation and ordered the Brigadier. It should be on my board in two or three days.
    I did try the Boss DD-500. It sounded good, but simply had more bells & whistles than I want or need.
    The Boss DM2W seemed good enough, but no better than my Wampler Faux Analog Echo.

In the end, my overwhelmingly positive experience with the Strymon Flint compelled me to give the Brigadier the nod.
    I have a significant decade demarcation birthday coming up in two weeks and decided to treat myself with generosity.
    So, the Brigadier is now making the coast to coast journey to my doorstep.
    Oh, and there's a Fender Custom Shop 1951 Nocaster being built for me as well. It won't arrive until sometime in June, a bit after the birthday.

I've been both industrious and fortunate over the course of my working lifetime and can be modestly self-indulgent at this point in my life.
    For me, music is a hobby that brings a significant amount of joy.
    So what the hay… At this juncture I say go for it.

ddhr likes this.

3. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    Strymon is always a great choice! Congrats!

I tried the Brigadier in the local shop and liked it a lot. Very cool. And versatile. I liked that you can dial in (or out) how much “clock noise” you have.

As far as mojo goes, it’s still no carbon copy. Or AD9 or DM2. But the digital control (and extended delay times, etc) can bring its own rewards.

I ultimately went with an El Cap for the lofi looping capabilities. I had a handmade delay for years that sounded better, but the strymon bypass and great tones and tap temp (etc, etc) beat it out.

And great news about the ‘51! Make sure you follow up with pics on that bad boy when it arrives. June is not so far away :)

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    rjtwangs likes this.

4. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas

5. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    Good buy. I own both Flint - excellent pedal - and the El Capistan. The Brigadier would have been an option, but I was looking for a tape delay.

rjtwangs likes this.

6. LP26

Nov 5, 2017
    Earth (Part-Time)
    It arrived around noon today.
    And because I know it didn’t happen without photographic evidence…

Strymon Board_003W.jpg

rjtwangs, RoyalBaby and DaphneBlue like this.

7. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    That’s a great looking board! So what do you think of it?

8. LP26

Nov 5, 2017
    Earth (Part-Time)
    Well, it's been a very busy couple of days so I haven't had a whole lot of time to play.
    Nonetheless, I'll try to give you some first impressions.

First off, I primarily play jazz and 1950's Chicago style blues. My Teles and Strat are set up with pure nickel 12's - D'Addario EPN21's. I like a darker/fuller tone.
    So, one feature I really like is the ability to darken the repeats. I have a couple of other delays with tone control, but they certainly don't function to the degree the Brigadier offers.
    I also like the fact that I can add some rough edges to the delay, a bit of "hair", via the bucket loss dial.

The range of possibilities is remarkable. Mostly I'm after a quick slapjack. The Brigadier offers delays up to 5 seconds sending sound into deep space territory!
    The modulation dial can get you a vibrato/chorus territory. I plugged in my Fulltone Deja Vibe just to provide a point of comparison. The Brigadier is clearly not designed to do what the Deja Vibe does, but it sure as shootin' can get you deeply into that neighborhood.

Another plus is the fact that you can set its operation to true bypass or analog with trails. I'm running it analog as I do with the Flint
    And, I suppose best of all, it doesn't sound remotely digital.

The Strymon stuff is definitely pricey, but you seem to get what you pay for both in performance and build quality.
    This little Nano+ is powered by a Strymon Ojai R30, the flatter version of the standard Ojai.

Nano+_004W.jpg

So, in a nutshell, I'm mighty happy with the Brigadier thus far keeping in mind that this is the honeymoon period.
    I have a significant decade demarcation coming up in a week. The Flint and the Brigadier were gifts to myself.
    There's one more gift due to arrive a month or so after the actual birthdate, a Fender Custom Shop 1951 Nocaster!
    http://www.fendercustomshop.com/gui...elic-maple-fingerboard-faded-nocaster-blonde/

I've been industrious and successful over the course of my working lifetime.
    So what the hay. At this juncture I say it's time to go for the joy!

Last edited: May 17, 2018

9. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    Great! Glad you like it. That bucket loss knob is very cool.
    And I'm with you about the dark repeats - I can't have a delay that isn't murky, or at least has a knob to get me there.

Happy birthday! Enjoy!

10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Nothing wrong with that line of thinking.

rjtwangs likes this.

11. WallyD

WallyD TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2016
    AZ
    +1 on the Flint being Killer. Look Hard at the Strymon DIG. It’s not all pristine digital repeats you can get some rougher tones too. Plus you run it as a dual delay either in series or parallel. Even run it in stereo. Best Delay Pedal ever made in a small form factor. Maybe best pedal ever regardless of forum factor or effect type. The guys at Strymon should be inducted in the Hall of Fame for creating the DIG, seriously!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.