Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Strongest Telecaster Pickups?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by RoCkstAr256, Apr 16, 2018.

1. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    Hey

I've been wondering, what kind of pickup has strongest output for telecaster, borth bridge and neck? I have had Quarter Pound by SD, was really strong. Now i have Mexican Tele Standard and pickups are really strong n the bridge, not as Quarter Pund but come close too.

Any other?

2. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Bruxist, dead mike, uriah1 and 3 others like this.

3. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

Feb 1, 2016
    Jefferson City, MO
    Dimarzio makes some cool SC-size Tele bridge humbuckers. I really liked the Tone Zone T that I had installed, before I routed the guitar for a bridge humbucker, but they make a mini Super Distorion as well, which is even higher output.

kookaburra likes this.

4. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    The real pickup gurus may correct me, but I don't think you can base "strength" strictly on DCR. Different magnets have different "power" levels too. 10k DCR on Alnico 2 mags might equal 8k of A5 mags or 5k on A8 mags. I'm sure there are other factors. Look at G&L MFDs. LOW DCR but they're more "hotter" than stock tele pickups. I had a tele with a Cavalier Fat Lion bridge, at 9.5k. I currently have a full size Dimarzio PAF Master humbucker, at 7.63k. The PAF Master drives an amp considerably harder.

That said, in a tele, a Hot Rails is the hottest I've ever played. Didn't sound anything like a tele bridge though.

blille and Bootstrap like this.

5. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011

6. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    I was thinking about hot rails but it doest sound like tele. I liked quarter pound really much, still has twang. Cant say thing about dimarzio

7. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Sep 7, 2008
    Princeton, NJ
    Bill Lawrence's L298 is a higher inductance pickup (~5.2H vs the ~3.2H of a 60s-style) that uses steel poles but Alnico 8 magnets to get huge lows and high voltage output but a Fender-style's inbetweens and bell tones, rather than trying to be a "distortion pickup". It sounds fantastic in the bridge but because it has a wide magnetic window more like a P90, it sometimes doesn't play well with a traditional magnetic steel plate if it's not completely flat, etc. I'd highly recommend it.

Kreepy likes this.

8. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    If you are after a pure single coil and not rails or single coil sized humbuckers, the hottest that I know of are the piledrivers from bare knuckle pickups. But I'm pretty sure other winders can offer similar

https://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/pickups/tele/vintage-hot?hide=-

I haven't tried them, but had the Flat 50s in my us std before getting my current tele and I really liked those :)

9. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Get a Cavalier Huge Lion

FrontPU, lineboat and 4pickupguy like this.

10. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    For what purposes are you looking for a 'hotter' pickup? QP pickups are pretty strong as far as single coils go. Without going into modern metal territory if you want strong than that I'd consider a P90. Other than that you're looking at stacked style pickups like the hot rails.

11. Xtyfighterx

Xtyfighterx Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2018
    North idaho
    I’m running a hot rail in the bridge of my tele it’s twangy like a Tele should be and very clear and sounds great with gain. I recommend it. I also have a push pull pot to go from series to parallel which is awesome to.
    27123B49-1034-4185-BD04-1E0339916BDD.jpeg

Ben-Zion, blille and ftbtx like this.

12. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    The stock pickups in a Standard are pretty dang hot.

RoCkstAr256 and Ex-riverman like this.

13. dead mike

dead mike Tele-Meister

They’re TexMex I believe which I think are awesome for the price.

Chicago Matt and RoCkstAr256 like this.

14. htwheelz67

htwheelz67 Tele-Meister

Jan 22, 2011
    mission viejo, ca
    duncan BG1400 is about the highest output noise cancelling pup, The GFS Fatbody's are excellent too for a single coil pup, they make one in 15k as well and they still twang but are fat as well the neck fatbody is one of the best sounding tele neck pups at any price and they are CHEAP. Another great bridge pup is the dimarzio tone zone T, big and fat in series, twangs in parallel, splits nicely and with 500k pots and a treble bleed just a GREAT versatile pick up, I have one paired with a gfs fatbody neck in my MIJ 69 thinline and they will never come out of that guitar.

Mincer likes this.

15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    If you're talking about the MIM ceramics, yeah... they're sizzling.

16. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    Bardens are pretty powerful pickups.

17. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

Jan 19, 2005
    bloomington, in
    Muy Grande be muy caliente.

18. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    Fat lioness is pretty rowdy

19. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    What do you mean by 'strongest'? highest voltage output? Just slap some neodymium booster magnets on the Quarterpounders, and put a 9V-18V active preamp in your guitar. That'd eat anything posted here already.

xafinity and bgmacaw like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.