So .. I got a mexican humbucker as payment for replacing the switch in a friend's guitar. I realized I had a neck kicking around from a 90s squier strat and a string through body hardtail bridge kicking around from an ebay purchasing spree from a few months ago. Only one logical thing to do ... I hit the wood store, and spent an hour or two sizing up what to use. Found a couple real nice pieces of bubinga, but when I picked them up together it became clear that would be way too much weight. Maybe when I have some way of reliably resawing, I'll go a nice thinline something or other with them. it's gorgeous wood. Found some other possibilities, but nothing that would really make up the dimensions cleanly. Ended up getting a chunk of bloodwood that I'm going to use for a center piece, and a nice plank of yellowheart to cut for strips to alternate with sapele. I would have used all bloodwood, but nothing else they had was the right size for what I needed. So, a stripey strat it is. Single humbucker angled like the singles are, hardtail string through body bridge, and a single volume pickup with a pushpull for series / parallel of the pickup coils. Though, does anyone know of a source for a concentric push-pull pot ? I've managed to get the strips cut, jointed-ish on my bench belt/disc sander and glued together. I have a couple little gaps that I'll attribute to the "learning curve", but the front should be completely gap free thanks to some creative positioning of the body outline. 20170222_064338 by adamkoop posted Feb 27, 2017 at 3:41 PM Dry fit of one set of wing stripes against the center block. I was able to clamp most of that out when I glued the wing together. 20170224_131854 by adamkoop posted Feb 27, 2017 at 3:41 PM Dry fit of the wings against the middle block. Those joints looked pretty good when clamped and I got some good squeezeout. the wings and the center block worked out to be different thickness, so I have some levelling to do, which I'm in the middle of now. Bloodwood is wicked hard though, so I'm going to pick up a hand help belt sander and some "assertive" grit paper to help bring things down to the same level. I've also added yellowheart to the lower bouts to finish out the shape. I marked off the gap and was able to position the wing piece so most of it will be waste when I cut the body out. On a more serendipitous note, that inclusion in the center block will sit just about perfectly between the neck's end, and the humbucker 20170223_082642 by adamkoop posted Feb 27, 2017 at 3:41 PM This is going to be another tung oil finish, no grain filling or anything .. I like them bare and I like the coarse, grainy texture. Feels more natural to me than a really thick glossy finish. The bit at the end is bloodwood with 3 coats of oil on it (and a film of sawdust, apparently) then the yellowheart and sapele wings with some water to get a feel for the grain. Picture doesn't quite do the yellowheart justice .. there's some really nice sparkle to it. 20170224_121910 by adamkoop posted Feb 27, 2017 at 3:41 PM As ever, my trusty garage companion was on hand while her two brothers frolicked in the snow outside ..