Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Strings?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by logankolarick, Jun 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    Same here.
    :)

[​IMG]

2. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    NYXL on electrics, on acoustic Daddario EXP, i'm new to acoustics and we'll see over time, i like them quite a lot for now.

BadMojo likes this.

3. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    D'Addarrio EXL 10's. Because I know right where they are, I can get in and out of GC quickly.

4. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2011
    Lansing, Michigan
    I use Pyramid Nickel Classics on the guitars I play regularly. I use Elixer Optiweb on the guitars that don't get played regularly.

I order from Just Strings or Strings and Beyond (whoever is cheaper).

5. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Been using Ernie Ball regular slinky's for many years. Played 9s for a long time, but 10-46 for some time now. Tried a few others over the years but nothing I liked enough to switch to regularly. But recently tried DR Pure Blues 10-46 based on a discussion here and I think they're all I'm gonna be playing for the foreseeable future. On a strat now, but if I get another tele someday, I'm sure they'll be on that too...

BadMojo likes this.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Not a criticism of the poster, but we should have a "what strings" sticky post. I must have seen hundreds of these and the consensus is ... no consensus!

Different strokes for different folks.

Mr Green Genes, emisilly and RoyBGood like this.

7. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

D'Addario Chrome, 10's.

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    On the '52 RI I use D'Addario EXL 120+. On the Esquire-clone I use Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkies. It's the only guitar I use EB strings on. They just feel and sound better on that guitar for some reason.

9. Slowisfast

Slowisfast TDPRI Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Mt. Rainier
    After buying all sorts of brands and gauges I've settled on 10-52s. Been buying EB because the local mom and pop always has them at a fair price.

I've never tried the D'addario version in that size and the local shop doesn't carry that set. I know there are a couple other manufacturers that make that set as well. Will have to put together a Sweetwater order.

I'll probably play that size until my wrist/fingers tell me to change.

10. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Right now I'm using the last of my Fender 1550's (11,15,22w,32,40,48) pure nickel, ground wound Jazz lights -- Fender discontinued them (darn it).

11. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

D'Addario 9.5 - 44s on all my electrics. They last a long time, stay in tune and I've only broken two top E strings in as many years.

12. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 8, 2014
    Katy, TX
    Like others I have been all over the map on trying out strings. NYXL 9-46 are high on my preference list but I am currently trying out a set of Stringjoy 9-46 that I'm liking a lot. They are well balanced (like the DA Balanced Tension strings 9.5 - 44) have good tone and are 9, 11, 16, 26, 36, 46 gauge. BTW it will be a couple more weeks before I decide if they are keepers. Tried the EB Paradigm 9-46 and 10-46; they lasted as advertised but when the 9 string broke on me while tuning (with no excessive overshoot) I inquired to EB if this would possibly be covered by their 90 warranty I have not received any response after almost a month. Please note that I immediately install a 9 string from a spare pack of EB Hybrid Slinky's (9-46) without any issue.

13. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    Depends on guitar. 9's slinky for tele, will try GIT soon. 10's on my super strat with a whammy. The heavy bottom one on my guitar bass (see link below).

14. Gretschman

Gretschman TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2013
    Central NY
    I use Fender 150r pure nickel 10-46 on all my teles and strats ; just love the sound, feel and longevity of the strings.

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm hooked on Thomastik-Infeld :oops:

Modman68 likes this.

16. Archsas

Archsas TDPRI Member

Jul 15, 2017
    WA
    For electric, I use GHS Boomers in the true medium (.11-50) size. I play acoustic most of the time, so prefer thicker strings, and I like round cores.

aerhed likes this.

17. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Holic

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    I use Elixir 9s. I've got 4 children between 13 and 2 that routinely handle the guitars on stands hanging at their eye-level and lower. These sets seem to resist kid goop the best without premature corrosion or other weirdness. They start out a little darker than my old favorites but I get more mileage out of a set. :)

18. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    Boomers baby. They're TNT.

19. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    ...Or could it be Dyne-O-Mite?

20. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 8, 2014
    Katy, TX
    UPDATE

In the mail box today was a package from Ernie Ball that contained a set of Paradigm 9-46 Strings! No written material, just the strings. I really appreciate that they have stood behind their warranty (but it would have been nice if they had let me known something by acknowledging my post on their website). Even if they had decided that, in my case, the warranty didn't apply I would have been happy and understanding. Going to string up the old tele with the set that EB sent me as soon as my Kinman Custom 60's Telecaster set arrives with the matching Kinman Wiring Harness / Control Plate.

If anyone from EB is reading this post, I thank you for the replacement set but would suggests that you communicate with customers as it (in most probability) would avoid any bad information being spread.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.