Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Strings, Set Up, etc...

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by RTod, Mar 16, 2003.

1. RTod

RTod Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2003
    How big can you go on strings? I am thinking about "10's". Is there a web page or anywhere I can go to get the set up instructions for a Tele, suc as setting intonation.

2. PeterUK

PeterUK Friend of Leo's

Mar 4, 2003
    Nottingham, UK
    Everything you'll need is at MrGearhead

Hi

I recommend you go to:

http://www.mrgearhead.com/.

It's got everything you need about set etc. It's easy to follow but comprehensive info. and the linked with Fender so it can't be bad.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Peter

3. the Dharma Bum

the Dharma Bum TDPRI Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Kansas City, Missouri
    strings and things

Shouldn't be any problems with 10's. I used to use a set of 11/56's and switched about 2 years ago to 10/46's to ease some of the pain I was experiencing in my wrist and to reduce wear and tear on my fingers. In my younger days I used 12/56's, but that I played with such a heavy style then. I ended up raising the action a smidge with the lighter strings and that required some intonation work. In my crazy days I used to have different string sizes and brands on each of my guitars; recently I found that required too much adjustment on my part as I switched guitars and have gone to pretty much a standard setup on all of my electrics. Now, I can pick one up and play without having to re-familiarize myself with the guitar.

4. Kevin

Kevin Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Terre Haute, IN
    10's

10's are probably one of the more popular string sizes around these parts...

I use them on my strat and my teles, but use 9's on guitars with locking trems....

I don't think that you 10's will put any undue stress on your guitar....

5. Matt Plescher

Matt Plescher Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    West Michigan
    I use 11s...

and really like them.

Cheers
    Matt

6. Kevin Nybo

Kevin Nybo TDPRI Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Mini-Soda
    Many companies, including Fender, market their 10-sized strings as "Regulars". A large portion of Fenders 2003 guitars come standard with Super 250R strings, which are 10-46.

My Di'Adderios are 10-46 and are labeled "Regular Lights".

After seeing quite a few polls on this subject at Harmony-Central, it seems like 10's are usually the most popular choice. Actually, that's always been the case on the forums over there.

7. Ian

Ian Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Alberta, Canada
    I've been using 0.11-0.49's for years on everything. When I got my strat a few years ago, it came with 10's. I've slowly started liking them more and more.
    After all the mods I've made to my guitars over the years, trying to get the elusive TWANG, I've come to the conclusion that lighter strings will give me the spank that I've been searching for. Yes, 0.11's give way fuller tone, tuning stability, and break far less, but for some tones, lighter strings are a vital part of the recipe.
    I doubt that I'll go lighter on all my guitars, but I'll definately be stringing one of em up lighter for the SPANK.
    I noticed that I play wayyyy faster on 10's too!! At least the 0.11's fight me more, and I need to dig in more when playin em'.
    CHEERS!!!

8. Revrund

Revrund TDPRI Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Iowa
    I've been experimenting with various gauges, from 10's to 12's (can't bring myself to use 9's, feels like I'm gonna cut myself ;)
    Come to the conclusion that 10's offer the best spank for the buck, but those 12's sure do have tone, tone, tone.

9. trey

trey Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    s. austin
    Back and Forth-

I've been playing with 10s for years. I tried 11s on the Tele for awhile but decided I was a 6'2" wuss. I split the difference and got the D'Addario 10-52 (light top/heavy bottom.)

Gives me the flexibility on top and the pseudo Bari "thwank" on the bottom.

All my other guitars have straight 10s except for the ones with Bigsbys. Bigsbys like 11s and mostly with a wound 3rd, I think.

trey

10. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Ventura CA
    A Tele will handle 10s or 11s without a problem. You may need to touch up the truss rod adjustment when increasing guages. Definitely so with 12's. But it won't collapse the neck or anything.

11. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    IMHO nothing beats the sound and feel of a tele loaded with 011's.You can get a lower action with 011 strings since they tend to buzz less.Get the neck as straight as possible and you'll have absolutely no trouble.

12. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Blacksburg, VA
    Nut

If you are just going from .009 to .010 you probably won't have any problem with the nut, but make sure the new gauges slide through the slots easily just in case. If not, you could have tuning and string breakage problems. Having nut slots that are the correct depth, well shaped, and smoothly polished makes for a better playing, sounding guitar.

13. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    What Nick just said really works well.

If you need to do lots of bending, and you haven't got the strength/chops to deal with .011's, next best will surely be .010 - .046 EB Slinky.

14. Michael Minnis

Michael Minnis Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    I realize I'm in the minority in that I don't do a lot of twanging, but I usually have 12s or 13s on my Tele. I mainly play jazz and I love the thick, rich tone afforded by the heavier strings. Heck, all my archtops have 14s, so anything lighter than 12s slips under my fingers. That said, I use Thomastik-Infeld strings. They have much less tension, thus you can go up a gauge or two and not feel any appreciable difference. At the moment, my Tele has BeBop 12s. Experiment for yourself and find what works best for you.

Michael

15. Aaron Schiff

Aaron Schiff Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Cedaredge, CO
    Varies with guitar

12's on the Tele. 11's on the Strat. 13's on the Stromberg. 13's on the Santa Cruz. The dobros run 18, 18, 29, 38, 48, 59. Steel guitar is in it's own realm.

16. GuitarGeorge

GuitarGeorge Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Back in the old days, Fenders used to come from the factory with 12's with a wound G.

17. Kit

Kit TDPRI Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northern Michigan
    VG had an article about intonation a last yea. The writer suggested a wound 17 for a G string to help with open chord intonation. GHS makes these and I put them on with a set of Boomer 10's. I haven't broken one but I wear through the windings pretty quick. they sound good with flush pole piece pups.

Kit

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.