Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Stringing question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Breezecookie, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Breezecookie

Breezecookie Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2009
    Shelby, NC
    IMG_1679.JPG

This is okay, right? That on my fifth string (actually all three bass strings but you can't tell) it's just the core going into the locking tuner and not the wraps?

2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    I’m pretty sure those suckers will unravel on you.

3. Breezecookie

Jul 24, 2009
    Shelby, NC
    Really? Could I tape them or anything? Drop of nail polish?

4. Something unique is going on as I notice your 6th string has the entire string entering the tuner but only the core is coming out. I have never seen strings too short but either they are the incorrect length or something is wrong at install. Are you sure the string ball is fully seated in the bridge/tremelo end?

As cheap as strings are I would just throw on another set, or couple strings.

nojazzhere likes this.

5. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midlands
    Wouldn't do it that way myself!
    The thicker the string guage ... the better/easier it grips.

imho, althougth not the quickest/easiest to assist with re-stringing .... Fender vintage style tuning pegs are the absolute best compared to standard or locking ones for keeping strings in tune.

6. Breezecookie

Jul 24, 2009
    Shelby, NC
    Well, it's complicated. They're Tenorio, so they're not cheap (but if they have to go, they have to go). I ordered regular Tele strings, but ended up putting them on my Bigsby guitar. It looks like the wound section is going in on the sixth, but the windings stop just short of the hole. Also: I have a gig Tuesday night! I guess just careful watching?

7. Unique. I just buy electric strings & any brand I buy I cut off a ton regardless of strat, tele, or Les. Could you have gotten a faulty set? At the price I would be prone to check unless they specify for specific guitar model on their strings.

8. Breezecookie

Jul 24, 2009
    Shelby, NC
    Yeah - they're no-tremolo Tele specific. I thought that surely they would be long enough, but....

eallen likes this.

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    It's commonplace on bass strings that they aren't wound all the way to the tuning peg, or in some sets I've seen even all the way to the bridge, especially on a 5-string set. I wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes an issue.

10. Breezecookie

Jul 24, 2009
    Shelby, NC
    I was thinking that, and since your theory makes my life better, I will choose to believe it!!

AAT65 likes this.

11. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2008
    Texas
    This.

12. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I agree — I doubt it will be a problem.
    I've got a set of Rotosound “Core Contact” strings on my acoustic where the windings stop an inch before the ball-end so that the core rests on the bridge, and they don’t come unwound. I don’t know what magic they do at the end of the winding but it seems to work!

13. Breezecookie

Jul 24, 2009
    Shelby, NC
    They don't spontaneously unwrap in the package, but they're not under tension then either. Honestly, since they're round core strings I almost feel more secure with the tuners gripping the cores.

14. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    I guess the real question is, are they worth $21 a set?

15. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    The reason *bass guitar* strings don't require putting the wrapped portion through the peg is the *wrapping* on the string is too thick.
    Unless this particular brand is designed like this, for only putting the core through the tuner, I'm suspicious.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.