Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

String Trees

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Rookery, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Rookery

Rookery TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2017
    England
    I just got my first Tele, an Indonesian 2012 made. Why do some Teles have one string tree and others have two?

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Because some of us are totally nuts.

Not necessary 99.99% of the time unless you bend your G and D strings so hard that you pull them out of the nut slots.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Guitars with better nuts and with tuning machines that have lower post heights (or staggered posts) tend to be fine without that second tree.

But if the guitar has a trem, and heavy use of the trem is expected you could play it safe and have a second tree also.

I like to use a Gotoh split shaft tuning machine with the G string winding down the post until it departs pretty low for the nut slot. And the D gets a little of the same treatment and this serves as a "poor man's string tree" and eliminates for me the need for the second tree.

soulman969 likes this.

4. RHytonen

RHytonen TDPRI Member

What about "sitaring?" I get it on both D and G.
    Squier Mexican solid maple (no fb) neck...
    and yes, I cleaned out and imperceptibly widened the slots, thinking it might be the graphite, but no..
    (Just received Fender American trees.)
    Anyway some day this guitar (or another) will get a Sweetwater PLEK and bone nut.
    The whole point of 'going electric' was to get a SUPER low action for my CTS, (a play morecunry, 'when in Rome,' etc.) but now as I suspected, this (Modern "C"? dunno...) cramps my hand, and I'm looking at a $900 (!) "postmodern" CS ("V") neck... Apparently you can't get a Baja Classic Player neck w/a rosewood FB. Any suggestions for a DEEPER than soft "V"? I've been playing a Washburn parlor acoustic, with a very ronounced vintage V (and a 2" nut, huge radius, classical style on a steel string) and I love it, especially when putting my thumb behind it! I get no cramping (but plenty of numbness after half an hour. When I can't find the Bstring on a cowboy C chord, I know to take a break ;)
    Steeper learning curve than this finger-style/fingerpicker thought, on countryTELE style - but that's' what keeps ya young....
    >

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.