Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

string through teles

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by 24 track, Oct 3, 2017.

1. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    last month i bought a left handed affinity almost fender tele, but I have to say it plays and sounds outstanding ( I am surprized believe me). I noticed that amongst the construction shortcuts - no skunk stripe, cheap wiring etc. there was no string through body set up on it, ( what one would expect on a 200.00 guitar) the strings come through the bridge not through the body.
    dont get me wrong this guitar rings and sustains, but I was always a believer that body resonance and sustain from string through added to the flavor of the sound .

also is it benificial to replace the bridge with one that would allow me to get a set of ferules and load the strings from the back of the guitar. I by no stretch am a purist just curious , what say you experts!

P1011794.JPG

2. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    sub arctic
    Loving the Crown DC300

. . .a Laboratory Power Amplifier!

24 track likes this.

3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    The bridge plate is about the only original part left on my Affinity. No Need to replace that i can see.

24 track likes this.

4. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    got to love KIJIJI people throw all sorts of goodies out there , this was 50.00 and a full recap job , it is still dead quiet , crown released AMCRON for export DC300A
    Thank you

5. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    If it rings and resonates - not broken, don't fix it. Cool tangerine.

Tommy Biggs and 24 track like this.

6. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    sub arctic
    I've only played one original top loader, but the bridge is so different on the affinitys I can't imagine there can be much comparison. Not as much difference I think as with hard tail strats.

24 track likes this.

7. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    thank you I didnt know what color it was but thats perfect also there is some interesting wood grain on the neck so I really like this beast

8. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    A friend was told to try and destroy a Crown when they first came out. It ll run Neon lights, but they won t arc weld.

24 track likes this.

9. 545454

545454 TDPRI Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    I've got a top-loading bridge on a string-through body - I don't notice any difference tonally or sustainally by top-loading. Maybe feels slightly looser, but that's all, and I like that. But I'm not a great player and have bad ears so your experience may vary!

nojazzhere and 24 track like this.

10. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You know all this stuff already.

Converting a top-loader to string-through...and you have to drill...is ridiculous. Plus, you're happy with it NOW!

When I pick up any of my guitars, the last thing I'm thinking about is how it's string loaded.

24 track likes this.

11. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    So you're just like the 99% of us who post here.

24 track and 545454 like this.

12. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    When I recapped it, I used it to drive 2 X 100 watt light bulbs as a load, very efficient that way

13. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    thats what i was looking for , My only other expirience with teles was my early 60's butterscotch, but I was 17 at the time ,I couldnt play it upside down it had a steep radius so I dumped it .

14. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I was curious about the sustain dynamics from a string through , the guitar I made , out of oak with an ebony neck is string through and it will hold a note forever , but , I used active electronics in it, ( It sure do sound purdy) , drilling is nothing its a 200.00 guitar , BUT!!! it plays well the way it is!

P1011377_3.JPG

15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Jim Campilongo and I both like our top-loading Telecasters.....I actually drilled for and installed a string-through bridge. I couldn't tell ANY advantage, played it that way for a couple of years, and then on a whim re-installed the top-loader....still can't tell any difference, and kinda like being somewhat unique....I'd recommend sticking with what you've got.

16. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    thank you, it was more of a question than a wish, but I am surprized , really surprized , this is the FIRST Fender guitar I havent wanted to gut and redo, it like all things some times they get one right and this is it, I bet dimes to donuts I could pick the twin to this guitar and I would want to surgically alter every aspect , but this one is different.

17. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    String-thru or top load make no difference to me, I have both. Too much is made of the break angle because the geometry supports there being a difference and some think they can feel it. Good for them. I have a Gretsch with a Bigsby that has a very shallow break angle and it rings like a bell. Play what you like.

24 track likes this.

18. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    You got a good one where the string break at both ends of the neck makes it ring. IMO Leo Fender who was a radio repair/salesman did things like this just because - the lap steel the Broad/No/Telecaster is derived from had it.

When they tried pulling it out in 58 it was probably (correctly) seen as a cost reducing measure and people whinged. Even though as many have noted there's little practical difference. So it went back on.

24 track likes this.

19. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I have both and have no reason to believe the through vs top loader changes sustain. I do hate the guitar flipping required with string through to string them up. Top loader is far more convenient. I have converted some through bridges into top loaders too.

Lining up those six holes is a PITA, you'll have one out and you'll hate it. Not worth the time messing around.

The mods you should consider are the 4-way switch and reversing the control plate (volume up front switch in the rear).

FenderLover and 24 track like this.

20. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You should also realize that despite the assurances of many...

"Oh, it's easy to drill properly aligned ferrules! Just do A, B & C!"...

Believe me, it ain't easy. That drill bit, even on a drill press, has a mind of its own. And I'm sure you don't have to ask me how I know.

24 track likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.