Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

String Through Bridge with P90

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by EOCTele, Mar 21, 2003.

1. EOCTele

EOCTele TDPRI Member

Mar 21, 2003
    I have a question....Where can I get a string thru body bridge for a Tele (I'm making) that uses a P90 Bridge PU?

I've seen short bridges (don't extend to the bridge PU) on some of the custom guitars like Melancon, etc. Where can I get one ? I looked on Parts is Parts and several other parts sites, but didn't see any. Maybe they're using a hardtail strat bridge?

I've seen a lot of the standard size Tele bridges cut for humbuckers, but none cut for P90's.

I'd prefer a short bridge. I'd like to get one with vintage style saddles also. But at this point, I'd settle for finding something that will work.

Anyone know of a company that makes these, or a company that sells them?

Thank you
    Earl - EOCTele
    :?: :?: :)

2. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you're starting with a body that you can specify the routing for, you can cut down a standard vintage tele bridge, removing the pickup mounting area altogether, and then mount the P-90 in a standard dogear cover with screws at the sides. I did that for a humbucker tele I built, then had Vintique make me a stainless upgraded version of it. It sounds a lot better than the thicker Gotoh humbucker type bridges, and has the additional string-to-body connection of the vintage saddles. There's a photo of it at this link:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/43616575/46327846LqGNCe

3. EOCTele

EOCTele TDPRI Member

Mar 21, 2003
    Wayne
    Thanks. I like that idea. Your HB Tele looks great. I really like the bridge.

The body I'm getting hasn't been routed yet, so I can do whatever I need to with the routes. I bought the body on Ebay. It's mahogany wiith a figured maple top.

My idea was to use soapbars. I guess I'll need to chaek the elevations before I route. I don't want to make it so I can't get the P90 close enough to the strings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2515101605&category=2384

Thanks Much
    EOCTele

4. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Soapbars would work too if you're REALLY careful about routing. The dogears are a little more forgiving of a slip of the router.

5. xxicjoy

xxicjoy TDPRI Member

Mar 21, 2003
    I know its a shade different but dont both Fralin and
    Harmonic design make a P-90 wrap steel Pole Tele
    Pickup?

6. xxicjoy

xxicjoy TDPRI Member

Mar 21, 2003
    I know its a shade different but dont both Fralin and
    Harmonic design make a P-90 wrap steel Pole Tele
    Pickup?

7. Pierce

Pierce Tele-Holic

Mar 4, 2003
    skull island

8. EOCTele

EOCTele TDPRI Member

Mar 21, 2003
    Thanks for the help guys. I want to use Fralin P90's. I know that Harmonic Designs and Rio Grande makes great P90's in humbucker size. But I'm lusting after the Fralins. I am probably going to buy a hardtail strat bridge that is string thru body design. Then I can mount the fralin soapbar P90 in the bridge position and still have the string through sound of a Tele. I'm looking at the Callaham bridge. Anyone have any experience with Bill's products?

Thanks again..
    EOCTele

9. xxicjoy

xxicjoy TDPRI Member

Mar 21, 2003
    Fralins

Before you commit I urge you to investigate Fralins Steel
    Pole Tele Bridge Pickup. From what I understand, It is a
    p90 in a tele pickup package. Ive heard the Harmonic
    design p90 wrap for strat (strat siized) and its great. I
    play Juniors and Goldtops so I appreciate the P-90 sound
    although to me a good 50's style Tele PU is definitely in
    the same family. Good luck

MATT

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.