Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

String suggestion: GHS Nickel Rockers -> ???

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by bluesholyman, Aug 27, 2016.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Same here. I would change now and then only to go back and wonder why i strayed to begin with because they're really faultless strings IMO. Ernies are muddy and dark. I used them for a time and couldn't figure out why my clean tones sounded wimpy and weak till i changed back and there was my strong clear tone again.

2. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

May 31, 2014
    austin
    I have used nickel rockers for a while and really like them also. Before that it was dh blues, before that EB slinky nickel (the green bag), but i splurged on a set of pyramid strings over the weekend, 15$ for the set. Not crazy expensive, but not cheap. I am enjoying them so far. I have about 2 or 3 hours on them. Just wanted to see what the fuss was about.

3. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I get Nickel Rockers .010-.046 and buy matching nickel wound single .018s to replace the plain .017 from juststrings.com

4. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

May 31, 2014
    austin
    Whats the difference in the nickel rockers and the burnished ?

5. Galibier_Un

Galibier_Un Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2016
    Colorado
    I've only used the burnished, but am also curious to hear from someone who's used both.

If they fall between the burnished and the D'Addarios I mentioned above, I might be interested in trying them.

If they're zippier than both, then they're not for me.

... Thom

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017

6. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Whatever brand, pure nickel on a round core sound great with single coil pups to my ears.

Tip: String makers started using hex cores to keep the winding taught. So the idea of stretching the strings when they are first installed became more common. Hex core wound strings are stiffer, thus the point of stretching them.

But the wound pure nickel strings on a round core don't need to be stretched. DR Pure Blues even mentions on the packaging not to do it. You can loosen the windings stretching round core strings.

Also, years ago one of the guitarists interviewed in guitar player said he used pure nickel on round cores and he mentioned that he would restring his guitars late in the evening and let them settle overnight. The reason being it prolonged the life of the strings. I don't recall who it was but when I started using pure nickel strings I started doing it and it's true. Just let them settle overnight, re-tune and rock on.

A thin coating of mineral oil applied to the strings with an eyeglass cloth or handkerchief before and after playing will prolong their life even further. Retards corrosion. Use a second dry cloth to wipe off the excess.

7. Pixies2005

Pixies2005 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jan 14, 2017
    Australia
    I like the XL Balanced Tension sets. Lots of chime and jangle on tap and they feel easier under the hand than normal sets.

Must try the coated version this year

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I'm a loyal D'Addario fan.
    I like their .11 or 12 sets.
    I like their XL or NYXL series.
    The NYXL last longer, and cost more.
    The XLs are a little "brighter", IMO.
    Try em', see what you think

9. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Been using the D'Addario EXL110's for years. Quality and sound seem to be very consistent. Usually buy them by the 10 pack. Less than $4.00 per set.

Brookdale works out with that Bowflex so he can handle the 11's and 12's. PUMP IT UP!!:)

10. TBurst Std

TBurst Std TDPRI Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Winter Park, FL
    Used to use Nickel Rockers. Got hard to get. Tried the Blues DRs and didn't like them. Have settled on XLs. Trying out a set of NYXLs and see no need for them (some tonality lost in the neck pups) don't care if they last longer. Maybe now decades later I'll try Nickel Rockers again

I won't try EBs yet. The only strings I have had break in 4000+ performances.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.