Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

String suggestion: GHS Nickel Rockers -> ???

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by bluesholyman, Aug 27, 2016.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    South Florida
    I am currently using GHS Nickel Rockers and I really like them, but they are hard to find locally. Could order them online but I am thinking I want to use something that is more commonly carried and readily accessible.

Slinky's just feel too loose to me. I actually like some tension. I like a bluesy sound with an edge/bite (brightness??) to it. Are D'Addarios exl110/115 the thing, or is there something else I should consider?

2. mhainz

mhainz Tele-Meister

Feb 8, 2009
    australia
    Personally i hate D'Addarios because they feel too stiff but if thats what you like give them a try. Theyre definately cheap enough and easy to get so give them a go.

3. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Aug 21, 2005
    Michigan
    I like the D'Addario Pure Nickels, but those got almost as hard to find in a store as GHS which I really liked (the Gilmour and EJ versions that came in half gauges).

brokenbones likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. don m

don m TDPRI Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Naugatuck, Ct
    Though I do stray at times, for over 30 yrs I always go back to D'Addario XL110's. They not only sound, & feel good to me, but I find them to be very consistent.....Don

fender4life likes this.

6. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Same here, at least 30 maybe more. They just sound "normal" unlike so many other strings that don't sound balanced or sound unclear ior too bright etc etc. They sound right, last, and tension is more than EB for example but not that they are high tension, but RELATIVELY high compared to a few like EB that are lower that normal tension. I too have tried others only to go back. I would especially recommend to those using EB and care at all about cleaner tones to try XL's. I went to EB for almost a year a while ago due to a hand issue that made me want low tension, and when i went back to XL's I was a bit taken aback by how much cleaner and chimier the XL's were compared to the slinkies which by comparison sounded muddy and midrangy clean.

7. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    South Florida
    I had these on a Pat Martino signature at once about 10 years ago, and I remember really liking the sound. I also remember not liking them as much on solid bodies and that is when I moved over to Nickel Rockers - EJs at first, then normal sizes.

I think I'll go to D'Addario's for a while and see - not sure if I have ever run them on a tele, probably only ever on 'bucker guitars as my Tele addiction came about only in the last several years or so...

8. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    South Florida
    What do you use?

9. mhainz

mhainz Tele-Meister

Feb 8, 2009
    australia
    I use Dean Markley Blue Steel in 9s and 10s. Love the feel and the tone. They can sound mellow but also give a nice spank when you dig in. Only problem is they can be a bit hard to find where i am.

10. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    DR Blues - using .11-.50 - not available locally so I get them on Amazon.

If too stiff they also have a .10 set.

brokenbones likes this.

11. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    South Florida
    For the time being, I am trying a set of D'addario EPN110 Pure Nickel.

They actually remind me of GHS Nickel rockers - tone did not change too much from what the nickel rockers sounded like.

Could be my new favorite...we'll see

12. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2016
    San Antonio
    If you decide that you need to go back to GHS. I order mine from Elderly. Surprisingly cheaper than just strings.

I'm not affiliated. I just grew up there.

13. tonejam

tonejam Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2010
    brisbane
    If you like Nickel Rockers, why don't you just order them online? It's the thicker core in the wound strings that make them less flappy. I've used them for 40 years.
    Couple of years ago, I went on a string search that lasted over 2 years, and I tried lots of different brands, many of them quite expensive.
    I'm now back to Nickel Rockers, after finding nothing clearly superior.
    Music stores will tell you whatever they currently have in stock are the best strings ever.

MickM and ScribbleSomething like this.

14. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    South Florida
    Valid point, and I could get them online, but tend to buy a pack here, buy a pack there, not all at once. Just seeing if I can use something that is more readily available at brick/morter shops.

15. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Meister

Oct 22, 2011
    Wiltshire UK
    A few weeks ago I decided to try GHS Nickel Rockers on my Tele, and fitted a set just in time for a gig. I absolutely loved them, that guitar became so much easier to play!

I bought enough sets for all my electrics, and have just fitted a set to my Les Paul, on which they sound and feel equally good. To me they have a slick easy-playing feel, but they don't suffer from the whininess that you get with lighter-gauge strings.

16. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I'm one of those folks who doesn't care what I put on my electrics. D'Addario, GHS, Ernie Ball, Fender, etc. you name it and I've put them on my guitars.
    I also don't care that much about my acoustic strings either but I am now using Martin SPs or Gibson Masterbuilt because they are relatively cheap and they sound ok.
    I just don't notice that much difference in the feel or sound.

17. tonejam

tonejam Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2010
    brisbane
    I used 10 to 46 Nickel Rockers for 30 years. Great strings and so cheap. I tried many many brands but kept coming back.

About 6 months ago I was tempted by D'Addario NYXL strings. Did a check, and found their 10 to 52 set was similar tension to the 10 to 46 GHS.

Gave them a try. WOW! What tone. Considerably more expensive, but I can't go back. And playing 52s makes you sound tough!

18. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Www.webstrings.com
    Something like 2.75/set if you buy 24.
    Still cheap as chips if you just buy a few to see which you like.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017

19. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    I've had to go to coated strings because my hands sweat like crazy, but the daddario NYXLs are the best sounding and feeling strings I've ever used. They feel stiff when chording, but bend very easy too. Not really sure how they pull that off but I like it. Clear, presency with very powerful, tight bass.

I'm currently on a coated strings expedition. I have Ernie Ball M Steel right now (not coated but the different alloy mix means they don't corrode with sweat as much). Next up to try are cleartones. Then the new EB paradigms. I don't like elixir.

20. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I went with David Gilmour's GHS Blue Boomers for a long time....then....
    went with Ernie Ball Cobalt's for a long time...then...fairly recently switched to D'Addario's, NYXL, .095 - .42 and like them.
    For that matter still like the Blue Boomers and the E.B. Cobalts.
    Don't know if this does you much good as I'm assuming you'd need to order these on-line.

21. Galibier_Un

Galibier_Un Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2016
    Colorado
    Loving EPN110s on both a Lollar and Don Mare equipped Tele.

GHS Burnished Nickel Rockers are a bit more "zippy" on top, if that's what you're after.

I should really try Curt Mangan's offerings.

... Thom

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.