Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

String gauge for Bender guitars

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Unpossible, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Unpossible

Unpossible TDPRI Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Cal
    any thoughts on string gauges when using Bender guitars?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017

2. Unpossible

Unpossible TDPRI Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Cal
    No experience with skinny strings

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I like DAddarrio NYXL 11-56.
    They sound great, stay in tune well, and last about twice as long as regular XLs.

4. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Woodland Hills, CA
    The bender allows me to use a slightly heavier b than I otherwise would. 10-12-15-24-32-42.

5. asatfan

asatfan Tele-Afflicted

I would say just use what you would use on your non-bender guitar. I've always used .009" - .046" strings on all my tele style guitars. That would be .011" for the B string. It's just personal preference.

6. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2005
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    By far the most common use on the 2nd string of a bender guitar is a .011... A set of 8's or 9" both use an 11 while a set of 10's uses a .013.... I think that any one using an 11 on the first string is a caveman for sure..... JH in Va.

string pull likes this.

7. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    "Bender guitar" is irrelevant. Whatever gages feel/sound best to you.

brookdalebill likes this.

8. Unpossible

Unpossible TDPRI Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Cal
    ok
    thanks people.
    I'll just have to experiment.

9. Rick Towne

Mar 16, 2003
    Woodland Hills, CA
    [QUOTE="Silverface, "Bender guitar" is irrelevant. Whatever gauges feel/sound best to you.[/QUOTE]

I use a gauge thicker b string on non-bender guitars.

10. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Ok, I'll bite - why? If the bender has adjustable tension it seems kind of counter-intuitive to me.

11. Rick Towne

Mar 16, 2003
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I erred. I meant that on the rare occasions I use a non bender guitar, the b string is a gauge thinner than the bender guitar because I would have to bend it manually.

But then the reason I have middle pickups on the benders is so I can get the strat pickup combinations and not need another guitar.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017

12. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I've never gotten that to work on a Tele - the stock pickups are in the wrong place compared to a Strat and the harmonics are in the wrong place to get that Strat "quack". OTOH my G&L Will Ray (with 3 Z pickups) does it perfectly - it has the right pickup positioning.

The string gage thing makes sense now! :twisted:

13. Rick Towne

Mar 16, 2003
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I don't remember who did the first pickup install in 1992; putting strat pickups in the neck and middle, but they did it right. It was either Westwood or Carruthers.

However I've not found anyone who could do the Jerry Donahue setup for me properly.

14. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Meister

Dec 6, 2012
    Australia
    I put 11s on mine, and am considering 12s. But I play pretty hard with a thumbpick, and prefer the heavier strings regardless. So I think I'm agreeing with Silverface -- you don't have to go lighter or heavier with a bender, so may as well start with what you already like and see if it still works for you.

15. cal57

cal57 TDPRI Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Marion,NC
    I have been using ghs flatwound nines they last better than anything else I have tried.

16. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2009
    Georgia
    Whilst scrolling rapidly by, at first glance I thought this said "String Gauge for Bartenders"...lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.