Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

String Ferrule Issue

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Fendereedo, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    Just restrung my Nashville Tele, and when loosening off the strings and cutting them, the low E Ferrule popped out. Looks like the hole is slightly bigger than the Ferrule that fits inside. I added a dab of wood glue in then restrung the rest of the guitar. Is there a more permanent fix for this problem if it happens again? Thanks in advance

2. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    sorry not much help- I've had teles that this happened to. I so rarley change strings that I don't worry about it

skunqesh and Fendereedo like this.
  3. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    It won’t drop out when it’s strung up and under tension. Just don’t lose it while restringing and you’ll be fine.

RodeoTex and Fendereedo like this.
  4. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    a little super glue will work as well. It just means your tele is drying out a little and getting more mojo!!

StrBender and Fendereedo like this.
  5. Fendereedo

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    I think I will go the super glue route next time I change strings. Thanks all! ;)

6. Beech Creek Gary

Beech Creek Gary TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Hawkins County, Tennessee
    Clear nail polish will work too.

Fendereedo and RodeoTex like this.
  7. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Meister

May 17, 2008
    West Coast
    this seems to be a common problem of older teles - body drying/ferrules slipping out.

side story

long time ago (20+ years) my '73 Tele Custom dropped a couple of ferrules.
    So I go over to the local geetar shop and look for new ones.
    Shop keeper says 'bring me your old ones I'll give ya new ones free'
    Me, being mostly broke and young and dumb, did just that.

My 2c - at the time it was probably a fair trade, but now knowing that they were worth more as OEM parts, and said chop shop keeper was taking advantage of my naivete', I would recommend anyone with a 'vintage' or classic guitar to consider a dab of wood glue.

8. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2008
    Texas
    The wood glue will hold them fine

Fendereedo likes this.
  9. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    you could also wrap masking tape around the ferrule, cut off the excess, and tap it back in.

10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    Two threads about Tele ferrule issues!

I never knew about this little headache, till today.
    I've owned 3 Teles ( back to mid '80's ?) and no loose ferrules; the Superglue or fingernail polish fix seems like a good idea.
    Always learning...

11. Fendereedo

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    Yes, seems to have worked fine. I only used a small amount on a cotton swab. Worked just fine.

12. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Apr 1, 2011
    Far N.E. Philadelphia
    I always just fed the string through the ferrule then the body, and let tension keep it in place.

13. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I'd avoid super glue. Cyanomethacrylate outgasses as it cures. It leaves a residue that is VERY difficult to remove on anything the vapor comes in contact with. It will be noticable on glossy finishes. I'd put a thin film of 5 minute epoxy inside the hole next time I restring. There is nothing in epoxy adhesives that outgasses. Press in the ferrule and wipe away any residue. Don't restring through that ferrule for a few hours. A string that can't be removed is a much bigger problem than a ferrule that slips out.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Jim622 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.