Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

String choice

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TELEDUDE84, Feb 28, 2013.

1. TELEDUDE84

TELEDUDE84 Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2010
    US
    Hey guys & gals, I fortunately got the opportunity of a lifetime.... I've been contacted by a fella Gene Breeden from Nashville to come down and record an album next month. Gene has worked with everyone from Garth Brooks, George jones, haggard and Waylon to name a few. He grew up with buck owens and had a hand in the Bakersfield sound and found don rich for buck.

Anyways ive been using regular slinkys for years.I got some new strings for my Tele's and I'm taking my new AVRI pure vintage 52 tele down with me that I got while in Nashville back in October. I got dadario 10-46 and DR 10-46 and 10-52 (I believe).

I put the DD's on tonight on the AVRI and my 50's RW Tele's. I don't know if I'm just use to the EB's or what. They sound okay and all but what do you guys think the best are for recording? I'm gunna be doing some lead work and thought I'd see what was out there. Maybe I should stick to what I've been use to for years?

Also, if I put the dr 10-52's on do I need to readjust the action or do you think I can get by without it?

Any thoughts or those that record, what do you use?

Also, on both gits the high E string where hard to keep in tune. I could literally watch the tuner go from E go down past D# for a while. The EB's never have done that for me. I slap'em on, tune'em up and away I go.

I always get long winded in here lol.

2. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

Dec 15, 2012
    South Jersey
    I say stick with what you know works for you and your guitar :)

3. jaycoyoyo

jaycoyoyo Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2012
    Omaha
    Agree...stick with what works! This probably isn't a good time to introduce possible headaches

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

On most of the sessions I've done (Atlantic, Polydor, Bell, Quality, RCA) it was the sound engineer, producer and gear that made my sound in the studio.

Plus my hands and my head of course but the actual guitar details were pretty much secondary.

6. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

Jan 2, 2013
    Chicago
    Slinkys have never let me down.

7. Ramblin Ray

Ramblin Ray Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    New York
    Wasn't Gene in Tacoma, Wa. back in the '60's? I seem to remember that name when I lived there from '74-'87. That's where Buck Owens got his start as well.

8. Seneca SS

Seneca SS TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2013
    Dundee NY
  9. PineBomb

PineBomb Tele-Holic

Mar 4, 2010
    NY, NY
    I'll reiterate: stick with what works. You were asked to play based on your prior work with the EB 10s, am I right? Don't mess with good juju.

10. TELEDUDE84

TELEDUDE84 Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2010
    US
    Yes I believe he told me that. I think they were in ca. too

Thanks for the advice, i leave in a few weeks to go down so a few days beforehand ill change back to them. I always get the itch to try other strings but then when I do I miss the old ones lol.

11. thinling

thinling Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2012
    New York
    I'm sure there have been thousand of great records made using Ernie Balls. Definitely don't change something before an important event, to something you're not used to; you want to be relaxed and confident.
    I've gone off D'Addarios recently, I think they are stiffer than other brands of the same gauge.

12. Ramblin Ray

Ramblin Ray Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    New York
    They are stiffer, probably due to a larger core than EB's. The upside is they don't go dead as fast as EB's, in my experience.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.