String afterlength

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Rocky creek, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Rocky creek

Rocky creek TDPRI Member

Hello everybody new to the forum I had a question and I couldn't seem to find a thread about
    it. Should the string after length be parallel to the guitars centerline if designing a 6 in line fender style headstock. When you draw it out the strings actually run at a angle when getting to the headstock. If you drew them out long enough they would eventually run into each other. Just wondering I have seen people draw them out parallel to the centerline after the nut or does it really matter that much?

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I never worried about it myself. I generally keep the general shape and hole placement regardless of nut spacing. I stick the string tree where you see them in factory photos.

3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

Personally I think the important thing is to have a string path that doesn't run afoul of other tuners. If a string comes off of the nut at an angle I always give that slot a little radius so it is pointed at the tuner post. But sometimes they just go where ever they need to

IMG_2015.JPG

4. Rocky creek

Rocky creek TDPRI Member

Just wondering in general if you want the least amount of friction at the nut what would be the best way to do it.

5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Rocky. Marty pretty much nails it... just look at the many other designs that all work just fine, with the strings running all over the place.... on a Fender types, if the string is a little askew, it's just not worth worrying about.

rk

6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

Some people seem to go to extremes to accomplish this, I believe that with a well made nut it isn't a problem.

mfguitar likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.