Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Strats and Teles: Who has both?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by vetplus40, May 20, 2017.

1. My faves of both but the Strat will be looking for a new home because I've never played it. Strictly ornamental.

r87970_lg1.jpg er STRATOCASTER .jpg

RoyBGood likes this.

2. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Feb 17, 2007
    Portugal
    Ignore the one at center:
    [​IMG]

3. HannibalTheCrow

HannibalTheCrow TDPRI Member

Jul 6, 2017
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I have both and love playing both but it depends on the music and mood im in which one i pick. If I had to only keep one it would be the Tele.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. vangoghsear

vangoghsear Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2014
    NE USA
    I went for years (about 30) with neither a Tele or a Strat. I tried a bunch, but just couldn't bond with any. Then a guy showed me a 1980's Fender Black and Gold Tele he wanted to sell. It's heavy as lead, about 11 lbs or more, but played and sounded really good to me. So I bought my first Tele.

Similar story with Strats, couldn't find one that I enjoyed playing, then I tried this $90 Affinity Squire Strat, played great, but the electronics were a bit weak and scratchy and hummy (60 cycle hum), but for $90 I bought my first Strat. I put a Dragonfire loaded shielded pickguard in it and it plays and sounds great for less than $150 all in.

Since then I found an Agile Tele that plays and sound great, but not quite as good as the Fender, but weighs only about 6 lbs. My last guitar purchase was a Fender Deluxe Players Strat, which I love.

So I'm up to 2 of each.

6. Beaubs

Beaubs TDPRI Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Blaine MN
    Telecaster 72 thinline RI and G & L Legacy Strat. The Telecaster is new to me, scooped it off of Craigslist. Love it, love the Strat.

7. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Meister

'93 SRV and a '96 CIJ 'JD' tele are my #1and 2. Both purchased new. They run through a first year Blues Deville 410 that's had some mods done to it. Very solid trio of tone tools.

8. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity TDPRI Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Canada
    I now have both, Mexican cousins. A 2014 Standard Tele and the newest edition, a 2009 Strat.

9. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Holic

Ignore??? Want!!!

savofenno and xjazzy like this.

10. Teddyjack

Teddyjack Tele-Holic

Jan 2, 2017
    Burlington, Vermont
    I got my tele in 1982 and for the most part it's been my go to guitar for the last 35 years. Another local musician was selling his strat a few years later - he needed money for illegal substances - so I picked it up for $120. I went through a period in the early 90's where I played the strat more but I think these days my son plays it more than I do.

11. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    I was playing my old vintage reissue Tele the other night and I realized that it sounds so full, with so much more depth than a Strat. Almost sounds like an organ at a couple of the switch stops. That's what you can't replicate with a Strat. Depth of tone. That's what I thought the other night, playing one of my Teles. Just sharing that observation.

12. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Holic

I agree.. I've owned 3 strats, still have two, one is in my avatar and is my main gigging guitar. I've have loved them all, but none of them sound as pure and massive and full of goodness as my tele.. it's my open g guitar at the moment and i need another one for standard tuning

13. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Meister

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    Matching pair of MIA Standards with channel bound necks.

IMG_0588.JPG

14. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Here ya go. I love this pic...

[​IMG]

Southpole and richiek65 like this.

15. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Both are great. I have times when ALL I want to play is a Tele, then I pick up one of the Strats, and fall back in love. Also just pulled my open G Triolian out of the closet to play some slide again. Nice to have a variety. As one famous guitar-maker here (RK) has said (paraphrased): "If you haven't been there, you can't go back". Now I'm back to playing my first MIJ Strat which has some mods BECAUSE of my love of Teles (e.g. neck/bridge option).

16. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Both... two Classic Vibe teles and a CIJ black strat... among a few others.

17. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2010
    Arlington TX
    I'm a bass player who plays AT everything else. But if you're going to record at home, you need to be able to cover all the basic necessary classic guitar sounds.

As a result, I've got a couple of Strats, a Tele, an Epi Dot, and until recently a Hamer. All heavily modded except the Hamer. I just never bonded with it.

One Strat is an 88 MIJ model with DiMarzio Area pickups (58,67,61 set) Graphtech nut and saddles, locking tuners, and a 'Strat Lover's' switching circuit. The other is a FrankenStrat I made just recently. It's essentially a Clapton Signature model, except with a Turnstyle Switch. My Tele is sort of the child of an unholy union between Brent Mason's Tele and Keith Richards Micawber.

And you could sort of claim the one I'm in process of making. It's going to be Tele-shaped, but with a Strat neck, two humbuckers, and a piezo bridge. So only sort of.

18. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire

Had two Strat's at one time, now down to one Strat, one Tele, one Nashville Dlx. Tele.

19. murdude

murdude TDPRI Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Brantford, Ontario
    After 45 years, I just recently became polygamous with my ES-335 and bought a Tele'. Never really considered a Strat.

20. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Katy, Texas
    Me too. I have a 1990 American Standard Strat, a 2015 American Standard Tele, and a 1985 MIJ 62ri Tele. Like all three; the MIJ gets played the most.

21. bluetinstar

bluetinstar TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Hampshire, UK
    I have both, enjoy both, and play both ! :cool:

2004 American Deluxe 50th Anniversary Stratocaster : 2013 Classic Player BAJA '60s Telecaster :
    2016 American Elite Telecaster : 1995 Precision Bass.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.