Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Strats and Teles: Who has both?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by vetplus40, May 20, 2017.

1. DonM

DonM Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    One Strat, three Tele's. Really like the Steat but probably won't get another unless I find a killer deal on one of those E.C. pewter ones someday.

2. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    NW USA
    7 Telecaster type guitars(one real one-I like the Tele Custom best and own 3 of those) & 3 Strats. I can say that 2 of my Strats are hardtail and they have been modified to be a bit more like a Telecaster. I have put copper zinc base plates on the bridge pickups of these two guitars. The wiring has been modded with a 4 way switch & a 3 way switch. The 4 way switch governs the bridge & neck pickups like the 4 way switch is used on a Telecaster with the 3 way switch controls the middle pickup. In one position, it is the 4 way switch, middle position is the 4 way switch plus middle pickup and the 3rd position is the middle pickup alone. I get 9 pickup selections this way(Bridge+Neck in series with the middle pickup added in parallel is truly a unique sound). I like this mod as the tone control is also usable with the bridge pickup. Never made any sense that the bridge position has no tone control on a Strat-it's the one position where you might want to tame down some of the top end. The two models will always be different guitars, but I personally like them both. Can't do Mustangs though.

That's easy, just a get a Strat neck pickup & take the cover off. It will fit right into the hole of Tele's neck pickup without a problem. Unless you sweat a lot, it isn't any issue. Some people believe the Strat neck pickup balances better with a Tele bridge pickup. I like the neck pickups in both guitars, but get why people prize the tone of a good Strat neck position pickup. It's a great sound.

3. Tele5015

Tele5015 Tele-Meister

Dec 29, 2015
    Holton,Michigan
    I have 3 teles and 3 strats.

4. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2015
    Canton, Ohio
    Got 'em both, love 'em both, but starting to love the Tele just a little bit more.

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Three Strats, Two Teles. All different. I play the MIM Strat the most.

6. silvertonebetty

silvertonebetty Tele-Meister

May 13, 2013
    canada
    Betty my strat an daphne my telecaster IMG_0662.JPG

7. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Meister

Oct 20, 2012
    Oley Pa
    I usually play standing but I prefer the tele slab body, I would like strata better if they came with tele bodies, with the rest of the strat assembly !

8. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    The thing I don't get about Strat volume (and tone) controls is that from the cheapest Squier right up through Custom Shop, they almost all have those cheap plastic knobs. I guess they have to or it won't be "Vintage", but if I sink five grand into a guitar I want solid metal knobs with mother of pearl inlays on top. And an ice cream sundae on the side. The first thing I did when I got my Squier was to put one of my Tele knobs on the volume control and chicken head knobs on the tones.

9. Linc Gray

Linc Gray Tele-Holic

Nov 6, 2009
    Sydney Australia
    Two of each. My favorites are my 2005 Am Deluxe Tele and my EJ strat

10. AlexEP

AlexEP Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2011
    Genoa, Italy
    Me....love both, I play them in different situations and for different goals

P_20170115_172053_HDR.jpg P_20170212_160448_HDR.jpg

Jessro and stinkey like this.

11. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    Long time Gibson player.

Picked up my first Strat 10 years ago, love the clarity. Got my first Tele 7 years ago or so (why would I want a Tele? They are for C and W!!!)

My 52 AVRI has been my #1 for some time now. I also have a Baja I slapped a Bigsby on, great fun!

12. tedduddy

tedduddy Tele-Meister

Aug 10, 2012
    Raleigh
    Try a strap . Duh

t guitar floyd likes this.

13. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

14. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2017
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I have both, and an LP. I find my tele gets way more playing time.

15. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2011
    Lansing, Michigan
    I have both... 5 Teles and 3 Strats, all a little different.

I really need to take some pictures (a family shot in particular).

16. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2015
    Troy, AL
    Have both. The tele is warmer and thicker. The strat almost too bright. Love them both for different things.

American special tele with OV's
    Classic Player 60's strat

17. theprofessor

theprofessor Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I always thought of myself as a Gibson or Epiphone player, but now the only two electric guitars I have are a Telecaster and a Stratocaster.

The telecaster is a 2012 FSR Butterscotch blonde with maple fingerboard.
    The stratocaster is a 1996 MIM SSS Sunburst with maple fingerboard.

18. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    3 tele-style, 4 strat-style. Oddly enough, none are Fenders. Nothing against them, it's just the way it happened.

19. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2014
    Oxfordshire England
    Yup, like most good folks here I have both. Been a Fender person for 45 years of playing, gigging and recording. These days the Tele is number one, go to guitar and the PRS SE is for those humbucker moments but the Strat is for those very personal, self indulgent times. There are quite a few of them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.