Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Strats and Teles: Who has both?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by vetplus40, May 20, 2017.

1. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    I never really respected Strats the way I respected Teles, so I avoided them for years.

UNTIL...

I walked into a GC maybe six months back and had an experience I've never had before: I saw a guitar, fell instantly in love with it, and had to buy it. It was everything I dislike in a guitar, but I loved it anyway. It had gold hardware and rosewood. 3-color burst. And it was a Strat.

Bought it. Love it. Still figuring out what it can do.

71Tele and awasson like this.

2. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    It's too late... That's how it starts. The same thing happened to me.

Back in 2010 I was happily playing the same ES335 shaped Ibanez AS100 I had been playing for 30 years. Then I innocently signed up for an account here at TDPRI. Pretty soon I was consumed with this idea of playing a Telecaster. I had never played one before but they just seemed so perfectly simple in design and single coil pickups are so crystal clear. I figured there would be no harm in trying out a Telecaster.

Yes to a Telecaster I told myself but I didn't even think of a Strat. I tried one out in the early 90's and it just didn't work out.

Well as you can probably guess, within a year of the Telecaster showing up, I've got a black Stratocaster too.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017

3. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    I have and play both (along with other guitars) - I like them all. ;)

4. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    14 Teles and 11 Strats.

studio1087 and uriah1 like this.

5. kubiakl

kubiakl Tele-Meister

May 9, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I have both. Both have had so many parts changed I can't even call them Fender any more, but they started life as an American Standard Strat and a Highway One Telecaster. Both have Allparts FAT necks and different pickups along with various other hardware changes.

The Telecaster suits me better but the Strat is a great guitar. I'd hate to part with either of them.

6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee

7. teledude1958

teledude1958 TDPRI Member

Mar 23, 2017
    bradenton fla
    I play both, it depends on what sound I want.

8. DonM

DonM Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    One Strat and three Tele's.

9. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 TDPRI Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    '91 am std. strat, 2006 am. deluxe strat, 2015 MIM tele std. Black 35 handmade partscaster (tele)
    00a0a_9O4YNuzQql6_1200x900.jpg fs6.jpg IMG_0058.JPG Tele reworked.JPG

10. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I'm currently learning guitar from the ground up but have been lucky enough to be able to afford to buy a few guitars including a 2009-2013 "Lonestar" Strat (s/hand) and a new 1970s reissue MIJ Tele.

I don't know enough about playing them (yet) to decide which I prefer for whatever tune / style I'm learning at the time but it's fun being able to experiment.

11. Tootone

Tootone Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2015
    Perth WA
    I was one of them Strat guys who always secretly wanted a tele...

I've had three teles now, still got one on the go, but my strats still don't know.

So....shhhhh!

12. voodoo tele

voodoo tele Tele-Meister

Sep 30, 2009
    kansas
    One strat and two teles play and love them all equally.

13. Recce

Recce Tele-Meister

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    This, I actually have two Stratocasters, one Telecaster and a Les Paul.

richiek65 likes this.

14. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

No unfortunately not got both but would very much like to have both.

15. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    "Stratocaster, Telecaster and a Les Paul."

Oh my lions, tigers and bears! :)

Me too, pretty much how its been going minus my wandering eye.

16. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Meister

Sep 12, 2006
    Long Island, New York
    I've been using Teles exclusively on gigs during the last 6-7 years, partly because of how much I love the sounds in all 3 positions and also because I don't find Strats comfortable when playing standing up for hours (belly cut skews the fretboard at an angle my achy left wrist doesn't like).

Late I got the Strat bug and found that all 5 Strat sounds fit better in the mix with my bandmates' 335 tones than my Tele did. It's the better tool for what this particular band needs from me.

As a compromise I put Strat neck and middle pickups (Benson Custom - excellent!) in my Tele, along with a regular 5 way switch and push-pull to allow for neck and bridge together. So far so good.

Attached Files:

richiek65 likes this.

17. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Meister

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    I have, play, and love both. The strat sees more action simply because my kids think it looks cooler so they pull it off the stand to bang on...

18. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Meister

May 23, 2005
    Glenview Illinois
    4 Tele's and 4 Strats

19. William SantAna

William SantAna TDPRI Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Brazil
    1 Tele & 1 Strat,
    Wondering building a jazzmaster (with a maple neck i have wasting) and a les paul (I hate les pauls so that purchase can help me modifying my opinion or definitely assure that hahaha)

20. forensicdoc

forensicdoc Tele-Meister

Nov 3, 2005
    Alberta, Canada
    I keep buying Teles until I have so many of them I feel the need to unload a few, but I usually have 3 or 4 Teles. I usually have 1 Strat. I say "usually" because I keep buying them (I've had 4 now) thinking I "need" one to fill out the collection. Then, as soon as I want money for something else I sell the Strat, only to buy another one a year later... because I need a Strat to fill out the collection. Just sold my most recent Strat yesterday, in fact. A sunburst 2012 Am Std with rosewood neck. Best Strat I've owned, but I flipped it to pay off the balance on a Gretsch 6120 I bought recently. I'm sure I'll acquire another Strat soon enough.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.