Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Stratotone H44

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by helectrix, May 19, 2012.

1. helectrix

helectrix Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2004
    Belgium
    verrry, that pu is here to stay :) amazed by the punch & volume of those tiny bars

really eager to play it through a small tweed amp

2. Wildman1

Wildman1 NEW MEMBER!

Jun 9, 2013
    St Louis
    Your H44 build is awesome...I missed buying a H42 at a reasonable price...but love the guitar...I do a lot of wood working and building one is now my only opportunity... would you please direct me to where I can purchase a copy of the drawings?

Thanks...

3. helectrix

helectrix Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2004
    Belgium
    Thx

Jan Van Cappelle made the very accurate plan. H42 and H44/88 all on one plan.
    You can contact him via his website www.javaca.eu

cheers

4. GDub

GDub TDPRI Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Sunny Florida
    The build on this guitar looks just great. A lot like the Montgomery Ward gold version. More bronze with the Harmony versions. Another player you might want to look for if you've not seen playing one of these is Rick Holmstrom, who's put a second pickup as well. There's a good number of youtube videos of him out there. Thanks for showing all the pictures of this build. It's a beaut'!

I tried to reach Jan Van Cappelle to order a copy of the 44 plans. His website would only let me see the home page and there weren't any other links. Doe anyone have an email where he can be reached? I tried friending him on facebook, but have not gotten any response, and fb will not let me send a message that way.

Also, there was a mention of a pickup builder that had ordered the magnets to be able to make the Hershey bar dearmond pickups. Could anyone post a link or number for this as well. I have a H44 which someone put another pickup of the wrong size. The strings hit the pickup. So any help with that much appreciated.

Thanks,
    GDub

5. mrkenny

mrkenny Former Member

Sep 29, 2012
    maryland
    Really nice job on the Stratotone. I had several at one time. I built a small size guitar like the 44's. I have some parts I'll post.

Attached Files:

Zepfan likes this.
  6. GDub

GDub TDPRI Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Sunny Florida
    That's a pretty build Mr Kenny

7. Mr. E

Mr. E Tele-Holic

Mar 18, 2008
    Texas
    I love you the size of the H44/H88. I would definitely like to build one but I have no experience with builds, just partcasters. How difficult can this be? Any suggestions or tips? I must say I would like to build a set neck version of it

8. mojoatomic

mojoatomic Tele-Holic

Dec 28, 2011
    Horn Lake, MS
    Kind of a Zombie thread, but does anyone have this plan or know the luthier who made it?

Thanks

9. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
  10. mojoatomic

mojoatomic Tele-Holic

Dec 28, 2011
    Horn Lake, MS
  11. warmachine

warmachine TDPRI Member

Mar 20, 2016
    NY
    Anyone have a measurement from the center of the 12th fret to the center of the neck Hershey bar pickup of an H-44? I obtained one of these pickups and plan to incorporate it onto a Telecaster.

I know the scale of the Harmony is 25 1/4” so I’m intrigued to see what it will sound like on a 25 1/2” scale guitar. Though figuring the appropriate spot to place it on my Tele would be key.

12. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I'd stick the neck edge of your Hershey bar right where your tele neck pickup is now. It would be similar in size to a mini humbucker or firebird pickup. The guitars are different scales and made out of different materials. Apples and oranges so to speak. Wavelength nodes change as you play up the neck and the string length shortens. The closer you get to the neck, the warmer and fuller it will sound. The closer you get to the bridge, the more treble it will produce.

13. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

I know it’s not the same guitar but on my Silvertone 1421 it’s 6 3/8” from 12th fret to the middle of the neck pup. On a Strat it’s about 6 1/2”. The scale length on the 1421 is about 24 1/8” so the middle of the neck pup is about 18 3/8” from the nut. With a little gain it is probably the best dirty neck tone I’ve ever heard.
    Rob

14. warmachine

warmachine TDPRI Member

Mar 20, 2016
    NY
    Thanks for the info! Does anyone have an opinion on whether a Hershey bar in the neck would be better paired with another in the bridge? Or is a Kay Speedbump a good alternative in the bridge?

15. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    I've got a 63 Silverton 1423 with a pair of Hershey's. You are right Rob, killer, killer neck tone.

16. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Ug,
    I plead slacker on this. I have about 8 speed bumps in queue for rewinding so no listening has been done to this point.

What I think you will find is that true to form for the era, pups were pups and two or three went on with no particular thought given to making the bridge hotter to compensate for the reduced string amplitude close to the bridge. When I rewind say a goldfoil set, I always throw extra wraps on the bridge in an attempt to balance the set. By balance I mean the bridge pup having more output in order to not have a noticeable volume drop when switching from neck to bridge. This was common on a lot of guitars that used the same pickups in all positions.

I personally think if you cant get a balanced set, a hot Tele bridge pup and a DeArmond in the neck is a fantastic setup.

It’s funny that the Speedbumps don’t get a lot of love due to their riveted-on mounting system being a PITA for rewinding. If memory serves me correctly, I believe Jeff Baxter had a Tele with a Speedbump in the neck used in Steely Dan waaaaaaay back when. That in itself is high praise. Again, I think a hot Tele bridge and a GF or Hershey Bar neck pup would rock. YMMV.
    Rob

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.