Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Strat wiring mod, 2 volumes, 1 tone

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by No-Name, Nov 13, 2011.

1. No-Name

No-Name TDPRI Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Cody, Wyoming
    Hey folks,

I worked up a wiring mod for a strat . this way one volume works the neck and middle pickups. the other works the bridge. the tone is a master tone. This does have the Les Paul thing where if either volume is turned all the way down, then there is no output from either. The schematic just shows the hot wires. grounds go to the bottom of the pots and all pots are grounded together.

[​IMG]

Enjoy,

Matt

2. No-Name

No-Name TDPRI Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Cody, Wyoming
    I will likely revise this a bit. I think by running the lines from the switch to the middle tab of the volume pots, and have the output from the other tab, i can keep the output independent. will let you know.

3. No-Name

No-Name TDPRI Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Cody, Wyoming
    This is a revised schematic for independent volume controls. I still only show the hot wires. Ground wires are grounded to the bottom of the pots and all pots are grounded together.

[​IMG]

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. misterjohn

misterjohn TDPRI Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Sudan
  6. billmag

billmag TDPRI Member

Going off your idea....what could you do in that middle position if only 2 pickups are configured? I have a project strat that has a filtertron and a single coil configured.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  7. sansa

sansa Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2009
    ITALY
    What about this one? http://diystrat.blogspot.it/2014/11/wiring-stratocaster-for-two-volumes-and.html

I really can't understand why both wiring diagrams should work in the same way...

The only differences I can see are:
    1. the neck+middle pot is connected to the wrong pins in your scheme; this is obviously your mistake;
    2. the 0 pin in the pickups side is connected to the other 0 pin in your scheme but in the other there is a different configuration... why??

Here a pic to compare it to yours

Attached Files:

8. sansa

sansa Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2009
    ITALY
  9. sansa

sansa Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2009
    ITALY
    also the tone lug connected to the switch is the wrong one... you have to connect it to the opposite lug

10. Asmith

Asmith Tele-Afflicted

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Personally I'd go for one volume for mid and then one for neck and bridge then you can do different blending in position 4 as well as position 2.

11. sansa

sansa Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2009
    ITALY
    that's a great idea. I can do the killing effect easily. Thanks mate!

12. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I would use one side of the switch to route the neck/middle to their volume pot input

Hard-wire the bridge pickup to the other volume pot input

And use the other side of the switch to select between the outputs of the two pots.

Your diagram sends both pickups through both volume pots in parallel in the bridge/middle position. You can't get a custom blend of the two pickups this way.

btw, this would require wiring the tone control input from the jack, not the volume pots inputs.

13. Asmith

Asmith Tele-Afflicted

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Hi again I had to do a new wiring diagram for 1 volume (neck and bridge), 1 volume (middle) and a master tone:
    [​IMG]2 volume 1 tone strat by ashleyjsmith1996, on Flickr
    Your wiring diagram in the position middle and bridge sends the signal from both pickups as one through two volume pots in parallel. So you don't actually blend just normal volume where you need both volume knobs all the way off to get no volume and when you have at least on on full, the full signal will get through that one pot regardless of the position of the other pot so you wouldn't actually get any blending in any positions. My diagram keeps the signals from the pickups separate before they reach their designated volume pot and then combines the signals once they passed through them, then through the tone pot and then to the output. It's also a bit more tidy/easy to wire especially around the switch.

14. sansa

sansa Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2009
    ITALY
    You guys are great!

15. sansa

sansa Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2009
    ITALY
    Can you tell me if I can do your type of diagram with this kind of swich? This has just one "common pin" (0 pin)...
    I can do the diagram posted by "No-Name" because the "common pins" are connected. Having only one "common pin" is exactly the same as having two pins connected...

Thanks very much again!

Attached Files:

16. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    The wiring I was talking about would require two separate commons. :(

17. Asmith

Asmith Tele-Afflicted

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Same with my wiring diagram you need to keep the pu signals separate before they reach the volume pots. The only way you could get something similar this wiring using that switch would be using 3 pots for individual volumes but then you loosing the tone control which I assume is a no. But since each pickup now has an individual volume (no pickup selector is required) you could wire the 5 way to be a tone switch so you'd wire different caps off the lugs on one side to ground but because of how the 5 way works position 2 and 4 would give a bigger treble cut but you could get used to it but caps aren't cheap unless you're buying from china and getting economy delivery and then you have to do loads of experimenting to see what you like best. You do get the options for all pickups on and neck and bridge whit blending options. I think your best option, if you still want the original idea, is to get a new switch. You can find them at different prices and qualities, I don't think there is anything wrong with import switches that you can get for 2$ plus p&p they work fine on squiers but if I can get one I'll get an oak grigsby.

18. sansa

sansa Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2009
    ITALY
    Ok sure I'll take a new switch but since I would have a good switch I'd have to wait for a long period to order one from the US. Mean while I'm using the old squier one and that's why I asked. Thanks so much for your help guys!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  19. Asmith

Asmith Tele-Afflicted

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Alright, it is a funny switch having a singular common lug a two pole switch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.