Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Strat wiring - Can this be done?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by gmm52, Feb 18, 2018.

1. gmm52

gmm52 Tele-Meister

Sep 23, 2016
    Southern Ontario
    I spend the vast majority of time on the neck pickup, and occasionally go to neck/middle. I'm thinking I'd like to have the option of using mostly neck, with a bit of neck/middle dialed in, to cut some noise and scoop mids. Is it possible to wire a Strat such that one can blend neck and middle in any proportion one desires?

2. gmm52

gmm52 Tele-Meister

Sep 23, 2016
    Southern Ontario
    As usual, some quick internet searching after I ask the question shows it can be done, so perhaps my real question is, what is the easiest and least invasive way to be able to blend neck and middle?

3. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

4. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

K.I.S.S. :D

Or do this, just take the wire from the MIDDLE blender pot terminal, and and put it with the "middle hot" terminal on the switch. In other words, drop it down one from the diagram. Use the same (tone pot) bottom pot you have there for the blender, assume 250KΩ audio (what's stock/standard).

blender pot.jpg

Andy B and moosie like this.

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Here's a diagram of that second idea.

Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 1.25.25 PM.png

If you like the first idea, it's also possible to make that a 4-way, adding Neck/Bridge in series (and you can blend Middle into that as well).

Tootle likes this.

6. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    you can also wire your strat like a tele either three way or four way and wire the middle to the bottom tone as a volume pot. Wire the volumes as in the pic below. Then you can turn up the neck or middle as much as you want in relation to each other.

1240_2133_2.gif

7. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
    I’m planning to put a push-push pot in place of the second tone, and using the switch to add the bridge to the neck so I can get the Tele sound. I will use the pot as a bass cut, like Reverend’s bass contour.

8. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2011
    Here
    A graceful solution would be to replace the 5-way switch with a 3-way switch.
    • Wire this as a Telecaster, with only the neck and bridge pickup connected to it. Run the output of the switch to one volume control.
    • Run the middle pickup directly to a second volume control (deleting one tone control).
    • Wire the two volumes and (now master) tone as a Jazz Bass. This allows you to adjust the volume of both the neck pickup and middle pickup independently.

This also allows you to have all 3 pickups on at the same time, as well as just the outer pickups. It also lets you adjust, say, 80% middle pickup and 50% neck pickup, and you can endlessly adjust the volume of each like you can a Les Paul.

Anode100 and awasson like this.

9. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    My problem with the blend pot is it effects the signal. Bottom line was I didnt like it.

fordguy_85 likes this.

10. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I like this solution. Simple to do and simple to operate. I don’t see a downside.

11. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    To be clear, this is the same thing @warrent described the day before.

12. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Excellent. The motion was made be @warrent and seconded by @Manolete. All those in favour?

Sorry, it’s been a long day. I’ll see myself out :confused:

moosie likes this.

13. gmm52

gmm52 Tele-Meister

Sep 23, 2016
    Southern Ontario
    Would you happen to have a schematic, or does this wiring have a name so I could search for one? It sounds intriguing, but I'd be hard pressed to execute the wiring without a diagram.

14. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver

See Post #6 for the schematic.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/strat-wiring-can-this-be-done.806021/#post-8185042

EDIT: Nevermind... That's not particularly well illustrated. If I find something useful, I will return with it.

gmm52 likes this.

15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

My player Strats I wire the second tone pot as a Blender that converts the 5-way from SSS thickening up to full HSH operation. Only a wiring change. If you spend more time on the HSH end you may want 500k pots. Hot humbuckers ~13kohms output from run of the mill Strat coils. A couple of out-of-phase tones that may fit your desire for the Reverend circuit. If you like the Reverend circuit, try out the Arlo Cocked Wah mod sometime.

Schematic and magazine article
    Build walk through video

16. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    This should do it.

Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 8.07.23 PM.png

AAT65 and awasson like this.

17. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I would buy a dual gang blend pot and a 3 way switch and do the following, Master volume, Master tone, Blend (neck to middle pickup). I'd wire the 3 way switch so you have,

1) neck + middle (blend)
    2) neck + middle (blend) + bridge
    3) bridge

you can get all 7 parallel pickup combinations and plus your blend options as requested. Personally I think one knob for blending pickups is easier than 2, this type of blend control is a common mod to Jazz basses rather than 2 separate volumes.

I can throw a diagram together if you're interested?

18. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I did this mod to my strats
    A) I istalled a 3 position switch 1) Neck 2) Neck / Bridge 3) bridge
    B) I removed the Middle tone control and made it a volume pot for the middle pickup
    C) I removed the tone control and replaced it with a TBX

this allowed me to BLEND the middle pick up in any configuration

wiring 1.jpg

19. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    The way around this is to use a no load pot for the blend pot.

awasson likes this.

20. gmm52

gmm52 Tele-Meister

Sep 23, 2016
    Southern Ontario
    Thanks to everyone for diagrams and info. Will spend some time studying and planning my modification. One more question though. In my mind, the humbucking effect of bridge/middle is variable over a range, and can gradually introduced, if one is able to dial in any amount of middle with neck. In other words, one can reduce hum a bit with dialing in say 25% middle pickup, or a bit more, until both pickups are at unity, with full humbucking then coming into play. Is this a correct assumption?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.