Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Strat vintage tem post..not again. :(

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Skub, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

Yep,sorry. But it's different this time because I need to know,not some other random ethernet abuser. :p

I've just finished a strat partscaster and I'm in the process of fine tuning to suit my needs. All is good so far,with no major issues aside from the compromise that is the trem system.

Question.

Is it possible to have the bridge floating as per Fender specs and still be able to do all the little double stop,double bends,pedal steel stuff I like so much?

This is how things presently stand.

1. I can have the bridge floating enough to give me the intervals on the G,B and E strings A#,C# and F respectively. Tuning is really stable with this setting,I can lay the whammy bar flat on the body,or pull back to the fullest extent and it returns perfectly to tune. BUT,I can't play the double stops because once I bend one string the others go flat.

2. I can have the bridge down on the body just enough to allow me to bend a string without sending the others flat. BUT,only gentle use of the whammy bar is permitted,otherwise several strings are returned sharp,probably hanging in the nut. The nut seems good otherwise lots of behind the nut bending doesn't adversely impact on tuning.

I will live with situation 2 if I have to,because at least I can play the way I want to,but I don't like giving up on little thing that niggle.

Fix me up,you bad boys. :cool:

[​IMG]

2. Stratified

Stratified Tele-Meister

I've heard of folks using more springs to get some level of double stop with bend before the non-bent string goes flat.

There is a technique to push up a tad on the non bent string to get it back to tune. I use this on non aggressive stuff, but I have to mute the open strings with my palm because they do drop.

Some say those devices like tremstoppers or whatever (I think Hipshot Products markets one), but I've never tried them.

Oh, and nice strat.

3. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

Thanks Stratified. The hipshot device sounds interesting,but like yourself I don't know anyone who has tried one.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

It's a compromise. I float mine so I can get a full step up or down. For two string bendy stuff, I compensate with the heel of my right hand.

6. electricjr

electricjr Tele-Holic

I do the same, it becomes second nature after a while. I find if I keep the trem flush against the body, I don't like the effect of the down-only vibrato. As for the trem-setter, I had one years ago and it makes the tremolo feel stiff, with a "detent" in the resting position, so it doesn't really allow for smooth up and down shimmery stuff.

7. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

That was one of the things I tried,but thought to myself,this can't be right having to faff about. But if fezz has done it,then it can be done by mere mortals too....hopefully..

Yeah,I too prefer the trem to float,if I can adapt to play the way I want. Good info on the tremsetter. I always wonder about free lunches.

8. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

I do the right hand palm thing too; as electricjr says, it becomes second nature and you do it without thinking, like muting strings or adjusting grip for chords etc. Also a good technique to have on a Strat when you want to bend more than a tone but the bridge is lifting and going against you - just keep the pressure on (or even push down a bit) and you can get there.

9. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

10. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

You bad man,hell has a special place just for you. :(

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.