Strat Trem Blocks

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Zepfan, May 16, 2019.

1. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I've known that the specs for trem blocks varied by string spacing, plate mounting screws and Trem Arm placement all labeled "Made in America", "Asian" or "Made in Mexico". And whether or not you need a Shorty Block.

Recently I ran into a problem. I have an Asian made guitar(SX) and I ordered a trem block for it. I ordered the "Asian" spec block, but the original was the "Made in Mexico" block. The difference between the 2 is the plate mounting screws and trem arm placement. The string spacing is the same(10.5mm)
    I also have a Indonesian made S type guitar(Johnson by AXL) and I decided to look it over. It was also "Made in Mexico" spec.

I just wonder now about how many Asian made guitars have the Made in Mexico spec trem blocks. It's hard enough to try and order a trem block going through 3 different spec blocks and if you need the shorty block, now they have to go and mix them around too.

From now on I'll make sure to completely disassemble the trem unit and check every measurement before ordering because you can't assume that an Asian made guitar will have the Asian specs.

awasson likes this.
  2. Zepfan

th.jpg

In the pic, you can see the difference in the plate mounting screws and trem arm between the "Asian" and "Made in Mexico" units.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I ran into one, might have been an SX, that was just not a normal spec at all. Trem arm hole didnt even line up with the plate hole.

Zepfan likes this.
  4. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I bought one of those upgrade kits from GFS with the plate, springs, arm, full size blocks and saddles. It was for my 94 MIM Fender Squier Series Strat so I ordered the Kit for the MIM guitar. During the upgrade I decided I wanted to use the stock bridge plate with the GFS block but the arm didn’t line up so I’m using the GFS plate. I suspect the MIM Squier Series used an Asian bridge assembly. I’ll have to look at the OEM block against your photo above.

5. Zepfan

I started thinking that maybe some Asian guitars were imported to Mexico with the Mexico specs and then import to the US? It's definitely weird.

6. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Now that wouldn’t surprise me. That whole 94 - 96 period when Mexico didn’t have a plant to manufacture in made for some oddball guitars. For sure the electronics in my 94 are from Asia, with potentiometers the size of a dime and the Asian selector switch. All that got swapped out for proper components. Decent ceramic pickups with twin magnets running parallel on each side of the poles. A little too gritty for my tastes but decent.

Zepfan likes this.
  7. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

The Asian guitars we get here have never been to Mexico or the US, they simply have tremolo units from different Asian suppliers, different price ranges and different specs.

Fender uses parts manufactured in Asia on many guitars, but they usually say "Fender" on them if they're going to be visible, and sell them as genuine Fender parts.

8. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Some Fenders have 'PW' stamped into the trem block.
    The MiM Standard and others use the PW-29 block and the American Special/Performer PW-36. Both made by the Taiwanese company Ping.

9. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

The Highway One replacement steel bridge block is a milled in the USA one and NOT the same as the stock part (at least when I got one). It’s a decent enough MiM upgrade if you just want higher mass.

10. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

I did the same on my American Special. The original Ping PW-36 block suffered from a badly threaded arm socket. The Hwy 1 block is slightly bigger and a lot heavier.

Unfortunately Fender stopped listing them around 2 years ago.

Matthias likes this.
  11. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

They wait until they hit the US to paint them, because they are handled so many times.

:lol:

12. Zepfan

You have to completely take the one you have apart and measure everything before you order. You can't assume that your Asian Strat will have Asian specs anymore, It may have Made In Mexico specs. You've all been warned.

Next we'll have Made In Mexico guitars with Asian specs or USA specs and USA with whatever specs.

So definitely look at all the specs before ordering guys(which is what I should've done), can't assume anything these days.

awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.