Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Strat, Tele or Acoustic for first guiltar?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by draggindakota, Oct 3, 2017.

What Type of Guitar for a Beginner

1. Strat style

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Tele style

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Acoustic

18 vote(s)
    56.3%
  1. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    $150 Yamahaha F310 likely playable out of the box. If the strings are a little too high spend 40 on a simple setup. It will be worth it for a beginner.
    I bought one to strum while my old love Harmony is under reconstruction and I think the Yamaha is a real bargain. Spruce and Mahogany as a 6 string should be. These are far above the crappy beginner guitars of my youth.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

2. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I'd vote electric but not a strat or a tele, I know kids can manage on a fullscale but even I think a short scale is more comfortable and having something easy to play will be the most beneficial factor for progression (other than motivation). I'd probably go for an Epiphone special model if it was my choice but if you were desperate for something more fender style I'd go with a bullet mustang, 24" scale, a 12" radius, C shape neck, I'm not sure how much the SX furrian is in the US but I assume it's similar. But as others have said, I'd get something that excites him, you can give a beginner a really nice guitar to start on but if it doesn't grab their attention and make them want to play then they won't progress.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Because he wants the electric, I'd get him the electric.
    Conventional wisdom be derned!
    I voted for the Tele.
    Simple, versatile, cool lookin' and great sounding!

4. Lone Picker

Lone Picker Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2011
    Eastern PA
    I had a cheap acoustic first. High action and hated it. Was ready to give up, then played a friends Strat and that opened up the whole can of worms, so to speak. Never looked back or had second thought ever again. I was 12.

5. draggindakota

draggindakota TDPRI Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Lehigh Acres, Florida
    Thanks for all the reply's guys. I know if I asked him he would say an electric, and I'm leaning that way myself since I think the "cool" factor will hold his interest longer. And he would get a kick out of having a guitar that sorta matched one of mine.

I didn't have an acoustic for many years, and then it was a thinline to boot. Didn't get my first real hollowbox until I was 34 or so.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.