Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Strat sound vs. Tele sound

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Turtletwang, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamblehamblebum

jamblehamblebum Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2010
    morecambe uk
    both great its a tough one . but the tele is just awesome looking like a spitfire or something .. the bridge pick up on the strat isn;t inspirational like ona tele . where youcan really affect the sound.. with the tonepot . they are both magic though i have two of each . and a les paul with p90.s which is great for ac dc ? free type stuff . but it;s heavy and not as comfy and not a reacher like the strat or tele . i recently got a cv tele and it;s hard to put it down .. not hard tp play atall really fast action .. superb guitar

2. Granola Child

Granola Child TDPRI Member

Mar 27, 2011
    New Orleans
    here is a really great video I found demonstrating the differences in sound between the Strat and the Tele. There is a noticeable difference, even on a low quality youtube video. I imagine the difference is far more pronounced in real life.

http://youtu.be/O7Mh2n6MMUU

Neither is one "better" than the other, both are great and beautifully different. I used to own a Strat, I miss it every now and then, but I can only own one electric at the moment, and it undoubtedly must be a Tele. he he ;)

3. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Jan 29, 2010
    Marietta,GA
    Give me a good eq and I'll make any guitar sound like any guitar. It's all in the voicing of the pickups and the woods. I've done it over 40 yrs with every guitar that Gibson or Fender has made. I have 3 telecasters, 3 stratocasters, LP Classic, and a es 137. I'm lazy and rarely play more than one guitar a gig, and that's playing 60 songs a night.

4. oxfordian

oxfordian Tele-Meister

May 24, 2010
    Oxford UK
    Nicely put!

5. cosmiccowboy

cosmiccowboy Tele-Afflicted

It's been said a million times over, so I'll make it a million and one ... it's all in the fingers ;)!

6. Meggy

Meggy Tele-Meister

Nov 26, 2010
    Manchester Uk
    It all depends on what sound you are after.
    I play Mostly with lots of gain so it doesn't really make a difference.

7. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I can make my Jag sound "strat-ish."
    Much easier to make a tele go that route.
    And yes, it's the fingers.

8. Big Burly

Big Burly Tele-Meister

Feb 23, 2011
    Oklahoma
    A real good way to hear how each guitar sounds subtly different in the same hands can be seen and heard in David Gilmour's concert (I think it was On an Island, but I may be wrong). I've always loved his sensible, emotional playing.

I lucked into this concert while channel surfing one night. It was on PBS of all places. He had Graham Nash and David Crosby singing harmony on a few tunes.

Gilmour played Strats, a Gretsch DuoJet, a Les Paul with P90s and a Bigsby, and a Telecaster.

His tone was slightly different with each guitar. Personally, he sounded the best with his LP with P90s. Such a rich and full sound! His Tele was sharper sounding and more defined than his Strat sound. His DuoJet has FilterTrons, IIRC, and it sounded nice for the one song for which he used it.

You can really hear for yourself the difference if you seek out this concert. You may not be a solo Gilmour fan, or you may not even like Pink Floyd. For no other reason, you can hear what these different guitars sound like run through his rig.

9. Suicideking

Suicideking Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2010
    Palm Bay FL
    How many times has this thread died and yet to see it come back and back and back yet again. LET IT DIE!!!!!!!!

10. Cheesehead

Cheesehead Friend of Leo's

11. mrtoulouse

mrtoulouse Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2009
    denmark
    No need to battle... You simple need both.... If I would have to choose though my strat would have to be first choice though... Something about the way a strat works with an amp that is juuust on the verge of break-up. :) To me that is THE ultimate gutiar sound and feel.. Tele's are just so lovely and attack-heavy without being too imediately boomy and percussive like those guitars that start with G tends to in a cleaner setting:p

12. vanguard

vanguard Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    i've got to address this post, even if it is 4 years old. i find this claim obtuse and silly. yes, thanks to john mayer, SRV, et al, the strat appeals to a lot of banker/lawyer weekend warriors. let's not forget, however, the sounds made with one of tom waits' "rain dogs" and ESPECIALLY the sounds of robert quine with the voidoids. that was some of the most original playing, both tonally and otherwise, i've ever heard. if a strat sounds generic in your hands, it's definitely the operator and not the tool.

13. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Anytime someone new joins the forum, this will be necro'ed.;)

14. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2010
    Switzerland
    This thread shall never die, so it is decreed, lest a clear victor should be determined among the two combatants!

15. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2010
    everett wa
    Like Bonnamasa vs John Mayer

16. Suicideking

Suicideking Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2010
    Palm Bay FL
    I just really dont get why you would look at a conversation held 2 years ago and say hey I wanna chime in. Its a little too late for that if you to discuss the differences the TDPRI has said MANY times to start a new thread instead of bringing the Zombies back. They even lock them sometimes when people do this then they are lost forever cause some people can go back and at least get good info from old threads by just READING. So if you have a comment on an OLD thread just START A NEW ONE..

17. mrbretward

mrbretward TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Georgia
    It seems like my Tele anyway has a more focused sound than my Strat. My Strat seems to be more airy and bright, where the Tele is a punch in the face (in a good way). I love both though.

18. euro

euro Tele-Holic

Apr 30, 2014
    Lyon
    I'm surprised that the strat has not been called more "vocal" then a tele. That's how Eric Clapton described a strat. He meant that the pickups have a slightly more balanced tone and being less "in your face" sounding then a tele tend to almost sound as one talking, compared to one speaking firmly.

I have found that a tele records better for me then a strat, and can be used in more types of different styles better on stage. A strat, as mentioned earlier, does have a slightly more generic sound with pickups 1 and 2. The bridge pickup on a strat, by itself, is not as easy to work with as a tele bridge pickup.

While the strat has that Clapton/Knofler tone in position 4, a tele with a middle pickup still sounds slightly more forward, like a person leaning into your face to speak to you. I believe it is the body having more mass then a strat that enables this to be.

Also, the tele's two pickups in any combination against the strat's pickup 1 and 3 in any combination, the tele wins. It has more personality then a comparible strat using only those two pickups. The tele's pickups are more useful to me.

I solved the strat problem by having Vigier build me a strat with an h-s-h combination. The switch is not wired in the nomral way as a strat is, and I can get all the different pickup combinations. Still, as heard in the video above comparing a tele to a strat, the pickups have more of a balanced tone low-to-high then a tele has.

When I was younger, there was a phrase; "Only a man can play a tele". This had nothing to do with gender, but more of a feeling that you had to be a more forceful player to handle a tele, and it took more work to play a tele.

The strat is more forgiving then a tele is and easier for me anyway to play.

Today with the flatter fretboard radius', and larger frets, the statement above is less meaningful then it used to be. Still, dialing in tones on an amp using a tele, to me, takes a bit more finess and deliberation. I don't want it to be too shrill, or too covered up sounding, yet I want it to fit into the band instrumentation, which takes a bit more time dialing in then when using a strat.

Another thing is that I have heard a lot of players who use LP's, and I was one of them, say that they like the bridge pickup on a LP to sound like a tele on steroids. I never hear anyone say they wanted a LP bridge pickup to sound like a strat on steroids. The very best sounding LP I ever played was at The Guitar Trader, in Red Bank, NJ. It was an original '59 burst with a plain top that had faded to a green/yellow burst. It had the best balance, weight, tone, neck, everything that I ever wanted in a LP and the tone was the very best I ever heard. The neck pickup sounded deep, and crystal clear, like a tele neck pickup, with just a bit more girth, and the bridge pickup indeed sounded as a tele bridge pickup on steroids. It was the one guitar by which I judged all other LP's I ever owned.

I believe that it is this slightly meatier single coil tone that adapts better to more styles of music and amp settings that makes players with LP's want their lead pickups to sound that way.

Now, I have a pair of teles being built, both chambered. One will have an alder body, the other a basswood core with maple front and back, and both will have a maple neck with a pao ferro fretboard and large ss frets. The second tele will be set up and wired like a Brent Mason tele, while the first one will be wired stock, and both with a 4-way switch.

This is how I have come to like my teles built, after years of trying every combination I desired. The chambering will open up the width of the pickup frequency a bit and further reduce the need for a 335.

19. Tele Belly

Tele Belly Tele-Meister

Feb 2, 2011
    Pa
    ...or Ginger vs Mary Ann.

We need a necromancer for this thread.

20. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I used to think so, until I was trying to make a Strat sound more like a Tele.

I experimented with various pickups in the Strat, finally dropped a Tele bridge pickup into a strat pickguard with the bridge route altered

Suddenly it sounded MUCH more like a Tele. Not exactly of course, because yes I do believe the bridge plate has something to do with it.

But not all, the Tele pickup itself has a lot to do with the Tele sound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.