Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Strat sound vs. Tele sound

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Turtletwang, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frogger

frogger Tele-Holic

May 10, 2003
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Tele's are more "alive" "hi-fi" twangier...you screw up on a Tele and everybody hears it all the way to Texas. Strats are a bit more forgiving and have that beautiful midrange "bloom" that Knofler filled our ears with. Like two peas in a pod both wonderful guitars that I own and play daily. :)

2. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2004
    USA
    I see Yngwie when he comes to town ..the only Strat I listen to.

3. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

May 8, 2008
    portland, or
    can we re-bury this thread, please !!! :D:lol:

4. jtoomuch

jtoomuch TDPRI Member

Sep 6, 2003
    South Florida

I am very fortunate to have one of each, both American Standard. To put it simply yes. I think others on here have described it better than I could already. If you are considering a purchase, try them both through the same amp. By the way, IMHO, they are the two best guitars in the world.

5. jtoomuch

jtoomuch TDPRI Member

Sep 6, 2003
    South Florida
    I don't get it. I have never had a tuning or intonation issue with my Strat. Is it American made?

6. cordellnut

cordellnut TDPRI Member

Jun 8, 2009
    clarksville tn
    yeah theres a pretty big difference, telenator explained it really well, but to be honest your playing style will effect the sound as much as the guitar will, with a strat youre gonna get more defined mids and about even lows and his, tele is gonna have less defined lows and punching hi's, bout average on the mids, causing that distinctive twang, of course all of this is effected by the pickup switch and tone knob

7. nathan549

nathan549 TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2009
    australia
    the only difference between the 2 is the pickups, put strat pickups in a tele and it will sound like a strat and vice vera, they mite not sound EXACTLY the same but not noticeable to tell a difference.

8. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    It's not quite as simple as that, but you're definitely on to something.

Jazz guitarist and techniqual wizzard, Ted Greene, put 3 Strat pickups in Danny Weis' and Doug Hastings' Telecasters (Rhinoceros, David Ackles), and they sounded very Strat'ish (actually fooled me :oops:)!

But different bridge plates and mounting of the pickups also make a difference, as does different electronics.

9. nathan549

nathan549 TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2009
    australia
    yes that is very true. a tele with a strat pickup in the bridge will sound a bit brighter because of the metal bridge plate that the pickup is mounted to. but either way they are both great instruments

10. mcfm2n

mcfm2n Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2003
    Plano TX
    when is time to play my teles go out with me. My strat stays home all alone.

11. Ortho

Ortho Former Member

Oct 28, 2009
    New Jersey
    When I consider the Strat, esp. as it applies to my opinion of them, I take guitar legends off the list. Hendrix or SRV seem far less representative of the Strat sound I encounter listening to most bands not simply because of talent or ability. Instead, even at high volumes, the Strat always seems somewhat submerged, even Townsend's Strat vs. his Tele rhythms. The David Gilmour sound? Great glassy leads. Beautiful. But IMO, the Strat requires a spotlight to shine (provided for sonic space as in the Edge or even John Frusciante and yes even Gilmour), still relies heavily on the guitar hero history, the now fading icon of "lead guitar" genius. Hurt by its own success and ubiquity, it is not unfair to consider its sound somewhat "generic" since even in the hands of a great like later Clapton Lay Down Sally a sense of "really competent" very middy sounding guitar emerges. Clapton himself did not say he preferred the Strat sound to any other.

To be frank, I also tire of endless refs to Tele giants to "sell" that guitar.

Instead I take a more down to earth gut approach to my evaluation, however offensive: I am tired of the dry, nasal. even needs to be midboosted and needs to be beefed up quality of most Strats I've heard in most bands (hey not big names here) as well as the belief that it is somehow more versatile. A big BTW, I have owned quite a few Strats over the years, and I have always reached the same conclusion. A friend of mine once coined the unkind phrase, "another jerk with a Strat." But there is a certain truth to that.

I prefer a Tele and its sound in MOST band (even cover band) and solo applications. It is truly a guitarist's guitar. Playing one can improve one's playing (force the issue vs. encouraging funky noodling vs. "getting lost" in one's playing). And yes indeed, it can go from warm to raunchy with a definite set of balls.

Add to the list of "tired of": aspiring to play blues on a Strat.

If there's any lesson to be learned from even a John Mayer: it's that music is about songs, not simply "playing." I actually prefer a Mark Knopfler, a descendant of James Burton.

I am not BTW, a Tele purist but prefer the modern Tele when forced to be completely honest, shockingly.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009

12. KY-TwangBanger

KY-TwangBanger TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Owensboro, KY
    I have a beautiful Strat, LP and Gretsch - I enjoy playing them all. But my Tele - now that's a fantastic and unique sound. I don't think anything compares to a Tele with a good classic bridge pickup (mine is a Seymour Duncan SL-1 Vintage '54 Lead). People comment all the time on the great and "original" tone - yes I play relatively "clean" with a little reverb and compression. If I plug my Strat in with the same effects and settings the tone is good but COMPLETELY different from the Tele. Strats to me are more mellow - which is great for the right music. If I play in Church, I usually play the Strat. To play a Blues Jam - out comes the Tele. All my guitars have a place depending what I'm playing. But my favorite and most unique is the Tele. It's the only guitar I own that I want to own more of - in a variety of configurations. I already have plans for about 6 variations - which I plan to commence with in the New Year.

13. ADK Teleman

ADK Teleman Tele-Afflicted

Sep 30, 2009
    A-Bay NY
    +1..to me it is like comparing a Harley and a Ducatti...

14. timmer114

timmer114 Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I have had a couple strats over the years. Back when I started guitar in 1978, and then into the 80s and 90s, I always had one real Fender strat around, and a few pointy hair band super strat style guitars.

I picked up my first tele on a whim back in 2006 after a gear trade in. There was some money left over, and the GC guy cut me a deal on a "new upgraded 2006" MIM tele. It just caught my eye, I always looked at telecasters as a country guitar. Wow was I in for an awakening.

I have sold every other guitar I had, and play only the tele now, I can't explain it, it just feels right. It can do most anything I want it to do. I don't need to put 13s on for strings to get a SRV sound, I can get a nice old school Judas Priest chug with some gain, I can play surf tunes, country, blues, it really does most anything outside of deth metalz. And it just plain looks and feels cool, your holding a piece of history.

Playing my tele makes me want to play more and more, I stare at the thing when I am not playing it, it hangs on my wall, I truly love my tele.

When you think of it, the tele transcends so many different players and playstyles. From the Clash to Jerry Reed to Roy Buchannon, it's easily identifiable as the electric guitar that started it all, but also picks up new followers along the way. When I check out telecasters on You Tube, I am pleasantly surprised at the amount of younger people playing teles and making really good music with them. I wish I had gotten one back when I was younger now.

I think my music would have taken a whole different direction had I had a more open mind back in the days of pointy guitars and Floyd Roses..

Thats not to say Strats are bad, they certainly have a great piece of rock history owed to them. And Strats in capable hands sound wonderful.. there's just something about the Telecaster, it's kinda freaky, but you feel connected when you play it, connected to the past and all that great music that the telecaster has been a part of =)

15. telecat33511

telecat33511 Tele-Holic

Aug 9, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    Said perfectly in a post above:
    Twang and Quack
    Strat fits in between the Tele IMHO
    I have and use both

16. dickey

dickey Tele-Holic

Jan 2, 2010
    Florida
    Saw Roy Buchanan at Hofstra University in the mid 70's. He was playing a brand new Strat (I think his Tele was stolen or something) and he sounded exactly the same on the Strat as on the Tele. Even with the harmonic squealers.

17. dickey

dickey Tele-Holic

Jan 2, 2010
    Florida
    No, that's not a good comparo 'cause a Strat & a Tele BOTH sound good;just different. NOTHING sounds as good as a Harley. Absolutely NOTHING!

18. dickey

dickey Tele-Holic

Jan 2, 2010
    Florida
    I Have an '89 Custom Shop Tele (one of the first made) and an original '73 Strat. The Strat is all original except for medium jumbo frets,and I wired it to have a master volume,master tone, & the 3rd knob is a blend control. With this setup, I can get ANY & ALL pickup combinations, which makes the Strat a much better sounding & more versatile guitar. You would not believe how good a Strat sounds with the 2 outside pickups on, or all 3, for that matter, and the jumbos make it sustain forever. You must do this mod to a Strat to make it sound REALLY good. I never liked that "in between out-of-phase sound;it always irritated me. The ONLY player who used that sound that really made good use of it was Jimi.

19. IdahoPicker

IdahoPicker Tele-Afflicted

Jun 20, 2009
    North Idaho
    The Strat neck tone is still my favorite guitar sound of all time. Of course, there's nothing a Les Paul can do that hurts my feelings.....

Oh yeah, the Tele is great too.....:cool:

20. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Mar 11, 2009
    Sand Land
    It's like chocolate frosting and chocolate cake very different and very much alike. I love em both.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.