Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Strat pup recommendation?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by WetBandit, Mar 10, 2018.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    P-90s it is then!
    I routed a Strat body for Jazzmaster pickups but only routed a guard for the bridge position JM, because a JM pup in the neck position is bigger than the edge of the guard.
    But there are also the Classic Player JM and the Squier J Mascis JM with pickups that are really a P-90 under the JM cover.
    Just in case you need a few more trees to bark up!
    Right now I have a Tele bridge pickup under a JM cover routed into a Strat guard with a Tele style three saddle hardtail bridge.

So I'm barking for sure.

WetBandit likes this.

2. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016

I honestly thought about taking a standard sss guard and cut the bridge and neck for p90 and leave the middle pu so I could retain noise cancellation in 2n4...

That would probably sound interesting with p90s?

But then again i have thought on socking one p90 in the bridge and that's it...but then I would miss my neck pup and I know it.

I find myself liking LO-FI sounds more and more as of late....

God i may put lipsticks in this thing...?

Sollipsist and eclecticsynergy like this.

3. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    EMG's are not a bad idea - great pickups, but you're looking at low cost so they likely would not be in your ballpark.

4. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Holic

Nov 16, 2014
    Albany NY
    Lipsticks might be a good option. For spaghetti Western type tone you want a lower output, thinner sounding guitar. While I'm a big fan of P90 tone, IMO P90s might not be the best direction in this case. Lipsticks or low wind Strat pickups or even something like the GFS Surf90s, which are pretty cheap, somewhat less fat than a real P90, and pretty vintage-cool looking. GFS also makes gold-foil types, another decent low output 60s-type option. Haven't tried those. But the Surf90s are quite decent.

If you decide to go with P90 type pickups, remember there are several brands making Strat-sized pickups in a P90 configuration. I have a set of Vintage Vibe SP-90s that really rock. Not cheap new, but they can be found used sometimes.

5. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Sep 7, 2008
    Princeton, NJ
    I think this is actually pretty easy -- go for a low inductance Strat set. Bill Lawrence released an Alnico version of his microcoils, which are available from Wilde, so they have more sweet highs and far less noise than a standard Strat set. They're 1.4H instead of a more usual 2.3H (or even possibly up to 3H), and are as clear as any Fender-style pickup possibly could be. As a drop in, you'll get those tones, no problem.

Just as a general rule, I like making sure I have a tone control on the bridge pickup, whether that means a master tone or one neck, one bridge, etc.

BB likes this.

6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Most of those Spaghetti Westerns would have been recorded on Italian or Euro weird guitar and amp combos. Like Ekos with rocker switches and weird tremolo arms, plastic resin bodies etc. A lot of the pickups would have been very low impedance bright unpotted single coils.

7. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Holic

Nov 16, 2014
    Albany NY
    Yup. Soundtracks for them were made in Italy too. I have one oddball Eko guitar; it has humbuckers but they're low output and the lead pickup is placed so close to the bridge that it's extra twangy.

[​IMG]

8. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Holic

Aug 25, 2016
    The GFS lipsticks came to mind before you even mentioned lipsticks. I've used mine for surf, twang, slide, shoegaze and 12-string. They're weak and hollow-sounding but nevertheless great in ways that I'd never have expected.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.