Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Strat pup recommendation?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by WetBandit, Mar 10, 2018.

1. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016
    I'm putting together a parts caster to play "spaghetti western"....

In really just want to make those big reverbed wobbly sounds...

I thought on p90s but they seem too hot/harsh....

What would do best for This?

Budget let's say is $150 as this is a cheap build.

2. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016
    Wow, someone could have at least said something dumb like EMG's.

3. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    I am going to tow the TDPRI line and recommend talking to Rob DiStefano and see what he recommends or more likely can wind special for you.

telemnemonics and Nickadermis like this.

4. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016
    Is he some sort of pickup guru? I'm unfamiliar...

5. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Yes, his Cavalier pickups are widely regarded and he contributes to the forums often.

Plus he is that rare combination if knowledgeable and accessible.

Here are his usual strat winds, but if you email him and tell him what you want I am sure he can recommend one or wind something special.

http://www.frettech.com/#strat

telemnemonics and WetBandit like this.

6. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    Was a particular guitar / pickup used for Spaghetti Westerns? I'd think the main thing would be to have something like a Fender Deluxe Reverb for on board analogue reverb and tremolo (and is a killer sounding amp otherwise), and then any guitar with a vibrato system, and a working bridge pickup.

When I think Spaghetti Western I think thinner sounds, like Fender or Filter'tron, but I think it could sound nice with a P-90, it would just be softer in the high end, more bold in the mids. I think it's a preference thing at that point. When it came to producing the actual music, I imagine they used a variety of guitars.

7. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016
    I'm just going for that type of deep big weepy wobbly sound....

I guess tone wise it's sorta like surf/rockabilly just a different play style...

I've heard that a baritone would be useful as well...

8. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    I bought a Squier baritone. I'd agree somewhat, the main problem is that the notes are really low, half way to a bass guitar. The tone would be good, but it would sound dark.

I'd sooner get a Bass VI , and then alternate between that and a standard Tele. I ended up converting my baritone to a Bass VI, because it so happened that the Squier used the same scale length for both.

9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas

I think oilcan delay when I hear spaghetti western, western Italy theme music.....

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Nickadermis likes this.

10. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016

DUDE!!!

Thanks for the video

I just bought it!!

And a TC pipeline tremolo.

4pickupguy likes this.

11. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Congrats man!!!
    I believe my work here is complete

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    WetBandit likes this.

12. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016

Where do I send the check? ....lol

4pickupguy likes this.

13. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Caveliers are top-notch, I am certain.

Otherwise, may want to give some EMGs a try...?

WetBandit likes this.

14. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

Apr 22, 2011
    Virginia
    Derek Kiernan likes this.

15. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    If I recall that spaghetti western song is more of a baritone sound. For some reason I seem to remember seeing mosrites used for some of those tunes too. Which, weren’t the mosrite pickups hotter than p90s?

16. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Holic

Sep 28, 2016
    UK

Well, these pups are only about 20 bucks a piece, so you could come in half-way under budget if you go for them:

http://www.entwistlepickups.com/pickup.php?cat=singlecoil

Some of them are only 10 bucks a pop.

For a parts caster I say they'd be perfect.

Entwistle makes amazing pups and he can't be touched for the price. Maybe they aren't perfect, I don't know, but for a fun guitar project? Suck it and see!

If you are pondering the P-90's then take a look at his X-90's. They are wound a bit differently to the typical P-90, but I must say they do sound absolutely superb. The first pup where I've ever heard a definite edge over everything else. And this was just the ceramic one in my Revelation Jazzmaster. 10 bucks a pop too! He does an Alnico one as well.

Why not both? (it's a Partscaster)

WetBandit likes this.

17. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016
    Those would be pretty cool to try if shipping and the exchange rate wouldn't "brain me"

I'm thinking about just ordering some generic alnico v p90s from amazon... I mean they are dirt cheap at 24 bucks for the pair.

I mean it is a bigger single coil...what could go wrong, especially at that price?

Teleposer likes this.

18. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Holic

Sep 28, 2016
    UK

Ah yeah, the shipping. Didn't think of that. Good point.

Go for the cheapies, then. If they are no good put them in the bin or give them away. They might work. I buy the cheapest guitars I can find in the world and they constantly surprise me how good they are.

Still searching for that first guitar I ever played that was just terrible and sounded horrible. I don't think I'll ever find it these days.

Have fun!

WetBandit likes this.

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    The biggest thing that could "go wrong" on a budget build would be trying to fit two big pickups into a body/ guard made for three small pickups.
    The second thing might be that you don't like the sound of the first set of pickups and need to randomly buy more until you get what you like.

If your partscaster is Strat shaped, Strat pickups are a really good option!

Something like a used set of almost any basic MIM or USA Fender pickups including the common good sounding but often replaced plastic bobbin alnico Fender Strat pups that seem plentiful on ebay.

And I'd agree that numerous guitars could do the spaghetti western thing, but clean spanky Strat tone is a good start, especially if building an F style parts guitar.

20. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016

Oh it is def strat shaped. And I'm really just wanting to cram p90s in it for some reason?

Cutting out a pickguard isn't exactly an issue as I have built several guitars from complete scratch, and as soon as my wood finishes drying I'll be building some more, it may take a year or two more though...lol

Everytime I see someone playing with the sound I'm thinking of, they are using either a tele or a big hollow body with p90s... come to think of it, Jazzmasters as well.

And seeing as how I currently don't have anything with p90s, I want to change that.

Guess I'll string the tele with flatwounds while I wait for everything to arrive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.