Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Strat pickups paired with Tele bridge pickup

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by brunocvieira, Dec 6, 2017.

1. brunocvieira

brunocvieira TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2016
    Vila Velha, ES, Brazil
    Hi guys, I have a question about pickups today. I’m thinking of putting Strat neck and middle pickups paired with a Tele bridge and was wondering if the middle would work in RWRP paired with both the neck or the bridge.

IMG_1803.JPG IMG_1804.JPG IMG_1802.JPG

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    chemobrain likes this.

2. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yes it will providing that the bridge has the same directional wind and polarity as the neck. Basically you want the bridge and neck to have the same direction and polarity and the middle reversed.

songtalk, CFFF and brunocvieira like this.

3. Revnelli

Revnelli TDPRI Member

May 23, 2016
    Trail, BC, Canada
    I have this on two guitars, well a strat middle pup at the neck position. I love the combination. The key thing AFAIK is to use pups from the same manufacturer so the wind and polarity are consistent. The S.D. pups you show will do this. My pups are Duncan Designed and they are hum cancelling.
    BTW a four wire vintage stacked pup is awesome at the bridge and gives extra tonal options. Just saying...

brunocvieira and awasson like this.

4. brunocvieira

Jun 20, 2016
    Vila Velha, ES, Brazil
    Hi! Thanks for the answer! I already have one Tele with stacked pickups, for this one I want something different.

5. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    That should work - but dang, those pickups are dirty!

brunocvieira likes this.

6. brunocvieira

Jun 20, 2016
    Vila Velha, ES, Brazil
    Do you think the brigde pickup is wound in the same direction as the neck?What about the polarity?

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    To be certain of RWRP compatibility you should contact Duncan, I hear they are good with that stuff.
    WRT those pickups, you might not like the balance between "hot" neck and middle combined with "not hot" bridge.
    Either the bridge will be thin and weak, or if you set the amp to fatten up the lower output brighter bridge, then the neck will have overpoweringly boomy bass.
    I have wired up that combo of Tele Strat Strat, and chose lower winds for the neck and middle to balance with the bridge.
    You can also go to a hot overwound Tele bridge pickup to balance with the Texas hot neck and middle if you really want the hotter winds.

brunocvieira and awasson like this.

8. Revnelli

Revnelli TDPRI Member

May 23, 2016
    Trail, BC, Canada
    My strat middle posn pups (which I use at the neck of my Tele) are RWRP wrt the bridge. They are therefore in phase but hum cancelling. I believe SD are consistent with their winding and polarity. Bridge single coil pups will match with middle strat pups and neck Tele pups.... But like a previous poster said, it's worth checking. Fender pups do not have the same consistency.....

brunocvieira likes this.

9. brunocvieira

Jun 20, 2016
    Vila Velha, ES, Brazil
    According to Seymour Duncan specs, their output is very close, around 6.5k, and both are made with Alnico II magnets. Are those strat pickups really that hot?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017 at 10:45 AM

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I don't know exactly how those Duncan Strat pickups are wound and magnetized, but in general a "Texas Hot" is hotter than stock, and "'50s classic spanky" Tele bridge pup is not hot.

WRT the duncan specs you refer to, 6.5k refers to the resistance of the coil, and not the output.
    More confusing is that Tele nck pups are wound with thinner wire that reads "hotter" resistance but is not a hotter pickup.

If you put two identical pickups at bridge and neck, the neck will produce much more output, because that's what the bigger string excursion at the neck does to a pickup.
    So to get a good balance between the pickups you generally need a hotter wind bridge pickup and a lower wind neck pup.
    Some sets are designed all the same like the CS69, but that is what it is, not what is most likely to work. The CS69 will likely have a very thin weak bridge sound.
    If you want that then it's fine.

awasson, brunocvieira and songtalk like this.

11. ProfRhino

ProfRhino TDPRI Member

Saturday
    good old days
    with this particular combination you will be safe.
    worst case - maybe you might have to swap N and M, but one of the two options will give you noise cancelling in pos. 2 & 4, exactly like on a typical RW/RP Strat.
    however - not so for the Tele middle position then.
    hope that helps,
    Rhino

brunocvieira likes this.

12. brunocvieira

Jun 20, 2016
    Vila Velha, ES, Brazil
    Actually, I found the Bare Knuckle Blackguard Tele - Flat ‘50, which is their take on a Broadcaster pickup and it seems like a better choice for me. The Seymour Duncan Antiquities have a different wound and this might be a problem.

IMG_1830.JPG
    IMG_1829.JPG
    IMG_1831.JPG

Anyone familiar with this term? “Original wind direction and polarity”

13. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    Lowell George, what did he do?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.