Strat pickups... next set to be?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by DHart, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I haven't tried an A-B test, but the Orig 57-62s don't seem any lower output than usual. I have them screwed down fairly low under the strings, I went up and down until I found a nice sparkly tone. The neck pickup is nearly flush with the pickguard on the bass string side, and they're plenty loud enough. I wasn't looking for a "hot" sound. I suppose raising them closer to the strings would drive them harder. They sound great through a Tube Screamer into a DR. With the gain turned up, it has plenty of nice harmonic feedback. Their straight clean tone is what I really like.

lineboat likes this.
  2. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Nice that you like the Kinmans. I think the same can be said for Lollars & Fralins, too. I don't doubt that any of those are great sounding pickups... I just don't believe that one needs to spend that much money to get great sounding pickups.

Take Cavalier, for example... they are hand scatter-wound to your specification, use premium components, sound awesome, produced with very quick delivery times, and are very reasonably priced. Not dirt cheap, like $40 for a complete Stratocaster loaded pick guard made in China, but not significantly high-priced either.

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  3. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

So, you would estimate that the 57-62s volume output is at least on par with the Texas Specials.

I wonder if any other 57-62 owners would chime in with their thoughts on this aspect of the 57-62s?

Blue Bill likes this.
  4. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Meister

I would have suggested D. Allens until just recently when I learned they weren't actually made in USA, and that I unknowingly spent far too much, twice, for something made in China. I'd rip them out and chuck them, if they didn't sound so good.

5. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Nice that they sound good!

I have a set of DAllens from about 5 years ago, VooDoo69s, that sound great, though not necessarily better than Fender's. Like a slightly beefier Fender Custom '69s set.

But I would suggest caution about buying DAllens these days, as there is far too much uncertainty about who makes them and where - especially for the price he's asking for them.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  6. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Meister

All I need to know is that David himself is not winding them, and many of us were misled, perhaps with a lie of omission, but misled none the less. No more business from me.

When I play my tele with the Cheetah set, all I hear is who the real cheater is.

7. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I'm with you on that... the apparent deception is a huge turn-off. No more DAllens for me, neither.

8. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

At present, these are the sets I'm running, with tested DC Resistance. Apparent volume output with these sets seems fairly consistent with their DCR readings. And, I believe they all have A5 mag slugs.

Stratocaster Pickup Sets....... N / M / B

Fender Tex-Mex ...................6.3 / 6.4 / 7.2
    Fender CS Fat '50s.............. 6.0 / 6.0 / x.x
    Fender CS Fat '50s.............. 5.9 / 5.9 / 6.3
    DAllen VooDoo '69............... 5.6 / 5.8 / 6.2
    Fender 1976 Standard......... 5.5 / 5.5 / 5.5
    Fender CS Custom '69s........ 5.2 / 5.1 / 5.1

9. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Of all the Strats I've owned and played, the one with the 57/62 pickups has the hollowed -out, vintage tones that are buzzing round in my head. I've had limited experience with O.C. Duff, Duncan and Becky Lawrence's work- and all of them impressed me. Of your listed choices, the 57/62s are the ones I would choose, use and recommend. :)

YMMV, of course. I play old-fashioned music, through old-fashioned amplifiers with a minimal pedal rig. What works for me may leave you stranded…..;)

Luthier Vandros and DHart like this.
  10. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I've tried the 57/62 in shops, and thought the were lovely (based on limited experience, granted, but I thought they were a bit smoother and nicer than my CS69s.

Just to name another good maker, I've had good experience with Klein, though they aren't the cheapest.

(Also keep an eye on the classifieds here)

DHart likes this.
  11. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I always liked the tone Robin Trower got from his guitars and his signature guitar's came with the Fat 50's neck, regular RWRP 60's middle and a Texas Special in the bridge.
    Of course the Marshall Plexi had a lot to do with it too.

DHart likes this.
  12. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Contact Ken at www.rosepickups.com and tell him what you're looking for. He made me a Strat set for $100 to my specifications: Buff Beauty in the bridge with two Mariposas in the middle & neck positions. A3 magnets w/flat pole pieces + cream covers.

bo likes this.
  13. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

What howlin said! Rose pickups are great period; not just "for the money". I like the Robusta/Buff Beauty set personally. YMMV.

14. macatt

macatt Tele-Holic

I never install 'sets' but rather choose individual pickups that sound best to me for each position.
    it can vary from guitar to guitar but what I like most often is:

Bridge - Seymour Duncan Twangbanger (somewhat Tele like with a base plate and dedicated tone control)

Middle - Van Zandt Blues (slightly over wound)

Neck - Seymour Duncan vintage type (this position is not quite as critical it seems. Any good vintage wrap will do)

S Mac

15. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

16. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

Lovely strat.

Luthier Vandros and DHart like this.
  17. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Tele-Meister

Robustas in my Strat. Killer pickups for any price.

bo likes this.
  18. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I just installed a set of Bootstrap 54 Vintage Pro’s in a Strat a few days ago.
    They’re great. They’re 99.9% 57/62’s to me, and a fraction of the price.

19. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I would recommend that you try the new Yosemite pickups as found on the Am Performer Strat. Since I got that Strat (my avatar), it's the only one that I play. Go try an Am Performer Strat, and if you like them, they're only $94 at Sweetwater. To my ears, they have the oomph of Texas Specials or Fat 50's, but still retain the clarity and sparkle of more vintage style pickups. The best of both worlds IMO. The are flat poles like the original Am Std pickups, not staggered poles, if that matters to you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.