Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Strat pickups, bell like tones, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by bluesholyman, Oct 16, 2017.

1. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Meister

Aug 10, 2016
    SF Bay Area/California
    Can you kindly explain to me what those values mean? I know the higher the k the hotter the output but I never really understood why. Thanks in advance

2. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Not even with a prescription....

3. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    I don't understand all the recommendations for CS 69's. I had a set and found them midrangey and noisy.

I find the Fat 50's sweeter with less noise and more chime. I've got them in two Strats.

Or for a non-Fender product, check out the Lollar Dirty Blonde set. Very bell like tones... I've only got them in one Strat, but they meet all your criteria.

http://www.lollarguitars.com/blog/2010/05/best-selling-lollar-strat-style-pickups/

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    jannodude likes this.

4. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    My understanding is that generally the higher the impedance values, the more output and often times the fatter or less articulate the output but... impedance is only part of the equation. The inductance, type of magnets and materials all play into it as well.

Those numbers look pretty reasonable and not super hot. I would expect a nice, clean pickup from those values, all things being equal. I’ve got a set of vintage 60’s A5 pickups with that sort of value and they sound nice and chimey. I tend to keep my pickups almost flat with the pick guard though and that does allow them to be really clean and articulate with a nice chime in positions 2 & 4.

jannodude likes this.

5. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc

6. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    Aren't these noiseless/humbuckers in a single coil size?

7. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    absolutely not, these are a radical design. they are hollow, and wiegh nothing what you see is the pick up the Rare earth magnets and the aluminum frame is the coil, there is a tiny-tiny coil underneath the frame and thats it , they have the best sound of any strat pick ups I have ever used ( I made 7 pickguards with different pick up combinations untill I found these ) totally noiseless and dead quiet. and at 2k each as oposed to 7-8 K for the neck and mid and upto 13K for the bridge these are a different design , well worth looking into.

I have a set of alumatone humbuckers i cant wait to try out ( Now I have to sneak a new guitar into the house!)

My other strat has a rainbow pack of Lace sensor Blue-neck ,Silver-Mid, Hot Gold 13K-bridge. these rock as well. well worth looking into!

P1011411.JPG

JayFreddy likes this.

8. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Meister

Aug 10, 2016
    SF Bay Area/California
    Thanks!

9. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Mar 19, 2003
    Paris region, France
    Yet another vote for SSL1s which make a lovely, bell-like sound.

I had my luthier work on my strat once and he immediately inquired what those pickups were as he liked them a lot.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.

10. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Meister

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    Bill Lawrence has some documentation , not only as a designer but also scientist that explains a lot.
    it can be found here
    http://billlawrence.com/Pages/All_About_Tone.htm/Pickupology.htm

take the time to read and you save a lot of money at the end ;-)

jannodude and JayFreddy like this.

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    What your describing is a humbucker. You have a solid aluminum coil(low output) wired to a transformer coil to boost the low output, 2 coils wired together in series making them noiseless and that makes them humbuckers.

12. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    may be true, here is a close up of the Humbucker version of the pick up, notice it is almost completely hollow

P1011812.JPG P1011814.JPG P1011816.JPG

My camera doesnt focus at 3:30 AM pacific time, I cant wait to try these out the singles sound fantastic and have more "Quack" than any other pick up I have tried

13. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Meister

Aug 10, 2016
    SF Bay Area/California
    Thanks a bunch! That's my type of literature

14. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I love these pickups, they sound great. There was a "How to hack a Alumitone" thread over on CigarBoxNation about how they were made and several people made versions of them or submitted ideas, it was very interesting Even Alumitone chimed in and they now offer a pickup for CBG's.
    http://www.cigarboxnation.com/forum...vity&id=2592684:Topic:2850716&page=1#comments

15. Praxis

Praxis Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2007
    Out There
    Cavalier 50's Tigers. Amazing pickups, very reasonably priced.

I'll add that I've tried literally dozens of strat pickups, looking for that sound. Cavaliers nail it.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    awasson likes this.

16. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    I'm not usually into this kind of thread, everyone has their favorite Strat sounding pickups.
    Well I bought the 50th anniversary limited run AMSE in 2004 , it has the 54 Custom shop pickups, two tone burst, all maple neck and a very cool tweed case with a big embroidered 50th patch inside the case.

Maybe its the pickups and maybe the combination of wood and electronics, however I have played a big old bunch of Stratocasters and nothing has the bell tones for me like that guitar !

Also played that guitar through Vintage Fenders, Clark Piedmonts and several Victoria's too, sounded so good through them all !

I would love to try the 54's in a MIM just to see if there is any discernible difference to my ears.

17. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Go with your first instinct, and get the Fralins. I have a set of his Vintage Hots (not really hot), and they sound very sweet. The Blues Specials are a bit hotter and hence darker, I believe, which will get that big, full sound.

Another suggestion is Texas Specials. Those are the first decent Strat pickups I played, when I upgraded a MIM. Wow!

But I would have been even happier with the Fralins, had I known.

18. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2011
    Connecticut
    I've got Rose "Robusta's" in my Strat. They're wound just under 6k I believe. Great pickups IMHO

19. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2010
    North east coast
    I'm agreeing with moosie. Fralin Vintage Hots are super nice for clean tone. I've had them in my '99 strat since day 3 and they are terrific... detailed and balanced. The stock AM standard PU's were overwound sounding, a little dark and uninspiring for clean country playing IMO. Changing the "block" saddles to vintage style ones improved the tone too.

20. Mekhem

Mekhem Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Minneapolis

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.