Strat Pickup wiring question??

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Chiogtr4x, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Not sure where to post,
    but last week I was talking to a repair tech friend...
    ( who did a hell of a setup and fixed PU wiring on my Martin)

...About changing the PU wiring on my Strat ( originally stock) whose rear Tone Control, now works both middle AND bridge pickups, to a switching option that allows me to have the stock ' wide open' no Tone control on bridge pickup?

He told me he could do this, but told me that when you turn the Tone control all the way UP, you are taking Tone control out of the circuit ( as they are passive/subtractive only) therefore it is 'wide open' - I guess I thought there was a difference? ( rawer/touch more Gain)

So just checking is this true?
    Bridge PU NO Tone control wired=
    Bridge PU with cranked Tone control?

Thanks!

2. Chiogtr4x

Bumpy bump!

3. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

Ya for the most part he is right on. Those that claim to have (or wish you to believe they do) a doctorate in electrical engineering will argue otherwise, and bla bla bla.

In a true A/B BLIND test, tone control there, tone control not............some MAY notice a difference, but then again, who's to say the difference means jack anyway.

A lot of times these differences are like splitting hairs. I wouldn't sweet it, either way not anything earth shaddering.

I'm a believer in what the ears tell you, not what books or theory claim thing to be.

Option:
    The tone control on the bridge is a must have I would say. To not loose that option, and if a person is of the camp that doesn't want any interference there, then you could put a no load pot there...........then at 10 (detent position) it is truly out of the game.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0OBD94/?tag=tdpri-20

https://guitarelectronics.com/cts-250k-no-load-tone-pot/

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Chiogtr4x likes this.
  4. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  5. Chiogtr4x

Thanks guys for info/ comment- have bookmarked CTS pot

My tech buddy said that " Technically there may a difference, but you would never hear it!"
    Maybe I would? I have 'magic ears'!

6. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

Fender put those 'no load' tone pots in the last of the American Standards (2012-2017). I had one, and I found it to be noticeable... although you can't really compare the "no-load" bit to the tone on 10, since it falls out of the circuit apparently. But turning the tone to 9.5 brought on a fairly significant change in sound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.