Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Strat pickup that sounds like a Tele neck pickup

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by arablue, Dec 23, 2016.

1. arablue

arablue TDPRI Member

Mar 31, 2009
    kentucky
    Does anyone make a neck pickup in a Stratocaster form that sounds like a Telecaster neck pickup? Im looking for a smooth, dark sound for my Strat. Thanks

2. coolikedat99

coolikedat99 Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2015
    Texas
    I'm very interested in this as well.

3. arablue

arablue TDPRI Member

Mar 31, 2009
    kentucky
    The best advice i got so far was to get a mellow low output pickup and roll down the volume and/or tone to approximate the sound. I havent tried it yet but hopefully it will work

4. AnAxeNamedBeverly

AnAxeNamedBeverly Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2017
    SC
    I know this is a stupid question, but I'm here to learn and I must ask it. Why can't you just use a tele pickup?

5. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

The Tele neck pickup cover introduces capacitance and hysterisis to produce effective darkening of the tone as if you turned the tone knob down to '8' or so.

Drop your current strat pickup further from the strings and mess with the tone knob. The usual request is making a Tele neck sound like a Strat neck which is a lot more effort...

You could also play with adding a capacitor in parallel to the neck pickup to darken it all the time.

AnAxeNamedBeverly likes this.

6. ComingApart

ComingApart Tele-Meister

Aug 11, 2003
    Southern Arkansas
    i remember someone making dano style lipstick pickups that had mounting holes spaced like a strat pickup, or you could get a pickguard setup for lipsticks. I had a lipstick picked strat years ago, it sounded great.

7. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    Duncan makes Strat sized Dano pickups

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.