Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Strat Pickup Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by HybridTele, May 10, 2018.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

So I found an RE live in Germany recording from 1996 to listen to ... and my suggestion is look for lower wound pickups 5k range, maybe a middle pickup close to 4k. Weaker and different strength pickups in parallel will help.

Did you deck the pickups? A lot of classic players did that while the modern way is to nearly touch the strings.

Put the middle as low as it will go without falling off the elevator screws and put your neck pickup 'half way up' then strum and raise the middle pickup until the quack is maximized. Set the bridge so it's volume equal to the neck pickup.

You know what I've come across recently and quite consistent for that kind of guitar tone (amp obviously influences it) is the Indonesian built Squier Bullet hard-tail Strats. Yes they are ceramic. You might locate a loaded pickguard and swap for a bit in your chassis, if you only put pickguard screws in the holes that line up you'll be ok.

hrstrat57 and Mr Ridesglide like this.

2. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I love the Fralin Blues Specials and the old Gold Lace Sensors from the '90's......by far my favorites over everything else that I have used.

3. x2plex

x2plex Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    Another vote for the Pure Vintage 59's. Love them. Single drawback is they aren't hum cancelling in the 2 & 4 positions.

4. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    CS 69's sets middle pickups are not RWRP. And although the cork sniffers will poo-poo this suggestion, I've had great luck with Guitar Madness 62z, which are Chinese made vintage spec Alnico 5s, and they sound as good as, and quack better than, many more expensive Strat pickups I've tried (even though their middle pickup is RWRP). Available in flat pole and staggered magnet versions, with white, cream, or black covers, for $24 a set on Ebay.

rmendozajr likes this.

5. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson

6. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I have a Fralin Vintage Hot set in my American Special Strat.
    Others have mentioned , RW middle or non RW middle doesn't matter, when you have more than one pickup on at a time in parallel you lose some volume, that's just way it works.
    Guess I'm used to it, it doesn't bother me.

7. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    The simplest, easiest and cheapest solution is just don't play in 2&4 if you don't need any Noiseless option.
    The next easiest, cheapest option is to just buy a neck Fat 50 and put it in the middle position.

8. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Captain Obvious but have you played with pickup height, especially the middle pickup

9. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Tampa Bay Area
    I agree, it isn't the fact that one is rw/rp..that isn't how it works. Change the pickup heights and you will notice a difference. Having a completely different wind in the middle will also change the balance.

hrstrat57 and Teleterr like this.

10. HybridTele

HybridTele TDPRI Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Yes, everything is dialed in to my liking!

11. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 22, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Pick up the set that was used in the American Standard strats before they started using the Fat 50’s. Should be $80-100 tops.

12. rmendozajr

rmendozajr TDPRI Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Texas
    I have two sets of Guitar Madness pickups and I can agree...they’re pretty good for the money spent. They’re actually quiet which is saying a lot at their price point.

13. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Holic

Apr 18, 2013
    California
    Is he still winding these? I was interested in a pair and now I don't see them on his web site.

14. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

May 4, 2010
    San Antone
    Stratohacker likes this.

15. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Holic

Apr 18, 2013
    California

16. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Holic

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    These! I have a custom set..Ryan is a great guy and he listens to what you want... hand wound in the USA fast shipping without all the fancy packaging...just a good product...I just got a P90 from him and it's one the best I've heard...its super clear and articulate ....sounds better than the Fralin or Lollars I had...they all went on the chopping block. I can't recommend his work enough. I am getting ready to order Strat and some Tele pups I am so pleased.

https://bootstrappickups.com/products/bootstrapt-54-vintage-pro-set-for-strat®-flat-poles

17. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2012
    pennsylvania
    get a dimarzio hs-3 for the bridge, a hs-2 for the middle and a hs-4 for the neck and rip it up

18. LAGinz

LAGinz Tele-Meister

Sep 27, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Get a set of Pre-CBS Rumpelstiltskins from Aaron, who will even further customize them to your taste. They are spectacular and literally transformed my 1989 American Standard. I’ve now had them for over 10 years, and have never given a single thought to trying anything different on my Strat.

19. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Rose Robusta's. Ken will wind you anything you want, including not having a RWRP middle p'up. I tried the stock pickups in my MIM Strat, couldn't get them out fast enough and installed a Keystone set based on what I've read here. The Robusta's sound better to me, the vintage Strat sound that's been in my head for years. Great tone IMHO and you get a full set for the price of one pickup from some winders.

20. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

Apr 22, 2011
    Virginia
    Have you checked out any of the Wilde (Bill & Becky Lawrence) offerings? http://www.wildepickups.com Terrible website, but awesome pickups (many are noise-cancelling) at great prices.

TeleTex82 and Derek Kiernan like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.