Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Strat pickup help

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by voodoo tele, Sep 6, 2017.

1. voodoo tele

voodoo tele Tele-Meister

Sep 30, 2009
    kansas
    Wanting to put new pickups in my strat.I have a set of fender custom shop tx.specials in the neck and middle,and a reversed wired twangbanger in the bridge.hate the twangbanger harsh and ear splitting treble.have been looking at sd antiquities but I can't decide on the tx.hot or the surfers.my strat has a solid maple neck and ash body.any help or ideas would be appreciated.

2. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Sep 7, 2008
    Princeton, NJ
    How do you have it wired? I'm no fan of the twangbanger, but most Strat players keep the stock wiring, which has that effect on nearly every bridge position due to the lack of a tone pot.

Zepfan likes this.

3. voodoo tele

voodoo tele Tele-Meister

Sep 30, 2009
    kansas
    Wiring is normal strat I just turned the leads around on the twangbanger so it would play nice with the tx.spcls.

4. Tootone

Tootone Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2015
    Perth WA
    I can vouch for the full set of texas specials... including bridge.

I have the height set relatively low though and the lower rone control is the fender " no load" tone pot (delta tone). The middle tone is neck only the delta tone is bridge and neck.

Sounds good.

5. Scott P

Scott P TDPRI Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    Before you spend any money, have you tried adjusting the bridge pup? Typical Fender specs have the high E side of the pup closer to the strings than the low E side. That works great for the neck and middle pups to cut out the mud but can leave the bridge a bit strident. Try settng your bass side closer to the strings than your treble side. I do this on all my Strats. They all have the standard vintage control setups and vintage style pups and they all sound much better setup like this.

Another cheap option is to buy a Fralin base plate and glue it to the bottom of the bridge pup. It provides more of a Tele-like mid punch and works great with the setup I mention above.

6. voodoo tele

voodoo tele Tele-Meister

Sep 30, 2009
    kansas
    Tried raising the bass side on the banger ended didn't help the banger already has a plate on the bottom.I've tried pretty much everything I can think of.

7. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    what I did was get 6 blank pickguards loaded them with what I was wanting to try out, and different wirings that way I could keep the original pick guards stock and if I need a new strat I change the pickguard,
    I ended up with a set of Lace alumatones in My 96' and a rainbow pack of Lace sensors in the 78' strat N=blue, M=silver, B=hot gold 13K I put a 3 way switch in set to 1=N, 2=N+B, 3=B I took out the first tone and made it a blend pot for the mid pickup (so I could bring it up as much as I wanted in all settings) and put in a TBX tone for the whole guitar.

this worked best for me

wiring.jpg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017

8. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Sep 7, 2008
    Princeton, NJ
    Use a wiring with the tone one the bridge, or put a resistor in parallel. Anything else is a losing game.

9. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    A buddy of mine yanked his twang bangers out. Was not what he expected.
    You didn't put down what you are looking for. A fat bridge, a P90 bridge,
    a fat standard bridge.?

10. tatittle

tatittle Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2010
    North NJ
    Antiquities are great. The Surf 60's are cleaner/mid-scooped sounding while the Hots have more mids and perceived output.

I sent my neck Surf 60 back to them bc it was cutting out and they sent me back a hot neck as replacement (likely by accident). I kept it cuz it sounds great and the Surfs were like 3 yrs old so I was fortunate to get a free replacement (pulled it couple yrs back though). The problem is they have opposite magnet polarity I lost hum cancel in the 4 position.

If you use more drive get the hots, want more crystal cleans/articulation get the surf's. I would get the Hots with ash/maple but depends on what your going for. They are both high quality pups that are good at what they do.

voodoo tele likes this.

11. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    I've got this exact set, and it sounds pretty good to me.... but it's in a G&L Legacy with a different tone control setup than a Strat. Definitely try moving the mid tone control to the bridge- it's just moving one wire on the selector switch, and it makes any Strat bridge pickup a lot easier to dial in. Also try raising the bridge pickup- I usually run middle and neck strat pickups about flush with pickguard, but the bridge a lot higher.

12. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Have antiquity hot texas and Lollar special in another

13. voodoo tele

voodoo tele Tele-Meister

Sep 30, 2009
    kansas
    Thanks for all of your replies y'all was very helpful!

14. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Why did you have to switch the leads around?

15. voodoo tele

voodoo tele Tele-Meister

Sep 30, 2009
    kansas
    I was told that fender wiring and Seymour duncan wiring are opposite so I switched leads on the twangbanger to compensate

Grux likes this.

16. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    Yeah, their polarities are reversed

17. metale

metale Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 30, 2013
    Portugal
    Sorry to bump this.

The wires on the Twangbanger should not be switched. The baseplate, which is connected to the ground lead, now connects to the switch (hot). I don't think it will solve all your problems, but it will be more correct if you swap the leads on all the 3 pickups as it stands.

18. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Tampa Bay Area
    If you decide on the Antiquity Texas Hot, keep in mind, that is 1 Seymour Duncan pickup that is wired in phase with Fender pickups- it is opposite phase with all other SD pickups.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.