Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Strat or Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Emilinconfussion, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Emilinconfussion

Emilinconfussion TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Denmark
    Hey again guys! I wonder whether i should get a Stratocaster or a Telecaster...

I want the Best guitar for dreampop/shoegaze, funk, jazz, indiepop/indierock, alternative rock, that stuff..
    I just dont know which is best

2. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    Both are great and more alike than different. I'd say either way you win but think about budget, buying used and having money for an amp/effects. Now of course on the tele forum, the answer is telecaster

ScribbleSomething and drlucky like this.

3. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    A guitar isn't created for a specific genre...you make the guitar play a specific genre well.

If there's a local music shop within driving distance try both a Stat and Tele and find which neck feels the most comfortable in your hands. The neck is what you are in contact with most intimately. It should feel good.

4. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Both would do well, but since you ask on TDPRI: a Telecaster ;)

A lot of country guitarists use a telecaster, but some do exceptionally well on a stratocaster. The telecaster neck pickup was designed to attract jazz players. There are telecaster players in each of the genres you name, and there are strat players in each of those genres, and a lot of other guitar models too....

5. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement

6. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    can a moderator move the thread so more people can see it?

regarding your question obviously, most people on this forum favour the Telecaster but either will do what you want. If I was to look at your list and associate each genre with either a strat or a tele it would look like this,

dreampop/shoegaze - any guitar or maybe another instrument altogether :D
    funk - Strat
    jazz - Tele
    indiepop/indierock - either
    alternative rock - anything again

Try both and then decide and if you don't have a nice amp then get one. I tend to think people look at things in reverse of importance, I used to. People usually think what guitar do I need, what pedals do I need and what amp do I need to get a certain tone (in that order). I believe that it should go the other way in most cases, if you want to sound like slash and had the choice of a Les Paul into a Fender tweed or a Telecaster into a Marshall stack what would be most authentic? That's not to say the guitar isn't important but as long as it plays well and the rest of your setup is voiced for what you want you could use a les paul and get away with it.

Ex-riverman likes this.

7. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    For jazz, just remember a TELE told you so.

SonsOfMoog and Ex-riverman like this.

8. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    heh .. that's a good question, there is realy no way to tell exactly .. from the top of my mind i would say ...72 custom telecaster

But ...

Whatever speaks to you more and sounds more in line .. try them both .. and try as much guitars as you can get under your hands

Hope it helps

Nickadermis likes this.

9. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    Try everything you can get your hands on ! They all feel different. The necks and bridges can feel alien or superb to me. But only you can tell what feels good to you.

MDent77 likes this.

10. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2016
    Peabody, MA
    I'd go with what feels best and what is most comfortable...but I have two strats and one tele....

Strats.JPG

11. teledude1958

teledude1958 TDPRI Member

Mar 23, 2017
    bradenton fla
    Why not get both?

nicod98 likes this.

12. warrent

warrent Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    The best guitar is the one you don't have. Having said that I've seen strats, teles, Pauls and
    others play all those types of music well. The first key is the player, the second is finding the guitar that allows you transcend the physical part and just play music. My suggestion go play a bunch of guitars you'll know the right one when you find it.

13. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
    ^This.

Ex-riverman likes this.

14. Dobronaut

Dobronaut TDPRI Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Leicestershire UK
    I agree with MDent77 - it's the neck that's most important. If it's not comfortable, no matter how good it sounds you won't bond with it. Try them all, and get the one that feels good, and makes you play. Doesn't matter whether it's a strat or a tele.

Fiesta Red likes this.

15. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Mar 12, 2016
    San Antonio
    Everyone above is correct that both those guitars can play any of the styles you mentioned.

My first love (3rd guitar) was a 73 tele deluxe. But if this is your first guitar I'd nudge you in some sort of strat direction. Just to see if the wiggle bar is something you desire/need.

Like someone mentioned in your other thread, rondo is a great place to get an inexpensive guitar.

The advice about getting a set up is good too.

It is easy, but if you don't know anything about the guitar set up can be very intimidating. Concitrate on playing and having fun first. Learn what you like before trying to set it up yourself.

That said, I know a guy (brilliant pro player) who's been playing over forty years and is too scared to take a neck off of a guitar. Don't be that guy.

16. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

I can't decide either. That's why I have a strat AND a tele. Both get equal time.

nicod98 and ScribbleSomething like this.

17. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    If I only had to choose one I'd go Strat, fortunately I don't so I have both AND and esquire!

nicod98 and ScribbleSomething like this.

18. poirier

poirier Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2008
    Connecticut
    Don't the shoegaze guys play Jazzmaster?

ScribbleSomething and jvin248 like this.

19. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Most people here probably started with a strat ... then add on as time goes on. Good luck and have fun,

20. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

If you have a Strat you can buy additional pickguards, load 'em up with whatever pickups you want, and swap them when you change strings. I have one that gets SSS Strat, Tele, 'esquire' humbucker, HH Les Paul, Dual P90s, and some others in the works.

A Tele can cover most of the ground on it's own (maybe a 4-way switch will help) -- but that's heavily player technique dependent.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.