Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Strat nut and bridge width, yesterday and today.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by DougF, Oct 3, 2017.

1. DougF

DougF Tele-Meister

Nov 7, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    Let me see if I have this right...vintage Strats generally had a 1 5/8 nut width going to a 2 7/32 spaced bridge. Modern American strats are generally 1 11/16 at the nut going to a 2 1/16 spaced bridge. So vintage strats went narrower to wider spacing up the neck while modern ones go wider to narrower up the neck? The reason I'm asking is I have a parstcaster I am think of assembling with a vintage spec'd neck but an American Profession spec'd bridge. I am trying to figure out a way to make both ends a little more compatible width-wise so my string spacing over the pickups and neck isn't too off.

2. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I always found strat's pole spacing an issue, too wide on the neck because it simply doesn't match up and then too narrow on the bridge because they slant the pickup making the effective spacing shorter. Don't worry about it too much just get a nut appropriate for the neck because the nut string spacing is negligible a when it comes to the string spacing over the pickups. 1.5 mm difference between modern and vintage spec on the nut so it'll translate to 0.5mm at the 24th fret position (or the neck pickup) so the e strings will be out by half that so it's 1/4 of a mm at each side which is about as accurate as you can get to the correct placement of the pickguard anyway. If you really want to nail string spacing you have to slant the pups to match up.

moosie and DougF like this.

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Yup, get the nut to match the neck width, then double check by eyeballing a pair of E strings against the edges of the neck. Expect that with a vintage style bridge you'll have a bit of that "falling off" feeling, if you're used to playing a modern bridge.

awasson likes this.

4. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Meister

From March 1962 to 1969, Fender marked their necks with an "official" neck width letter at the butt of the neck (in front of the date code). The "B" neck width is the normal width, as used on about 99% of all Fenders from this period. All other sizes were available by special order only. Also all pre-1962 Fender necks have a 1 5/8" nut width (though I'm sure there are some exceptions, but none I have seen).

• A = 1 1/2" wide at the nut.
    • B = 1 5/8" wide at the nut (normal size).
    • C = 1 3/4" wide at the nut.
    • D = 1 7/8" wide at the nut.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.