Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Strat noise issue

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Rigel7, Jan 11, 2018 at 8:56 PM.

1. Rigel7

Rigel7 TDPRI Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    Hey all. I have a MIM 50's Classic Strat, with the stock 50sish pickups. It's got some serious hiss going on.
    It dies down slightly when you touch metal, but not completely. It actually gets worse if you go to 2 & 4, and I've noticed recently if I roll back the guitar's volume to 7-9 the hum just takes on a "deeper" "tone".
    The grounds seem fine. I went in and added a touch of solder to them for coverage, this didn't seem to help much. I went ahead and copper shielded the pickguard and cavity. This did absolutely nothing. It gives me the same noise in every amp I own - battery or wall/mains powered.
    Any ideas left?

2. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Are you using pedals? And if so, are they powered by batteries or by a power supply? Are you playing with super high gain or clean? Try a different cable with no pedals and clean amp tone and no effects. If it still happens, then a trip to the guitar doctor might be required.

3. Rigel7

Rigel7 TDPRI Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    I'm not running any pedals. I've used numerous cables and amps. It's definitely the guitar.

4. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Are you playing your Strat under any flourescent lights?

Single coils *are* prone to picking up noise, but it's usually a 'hum' (roughly 50-60Hz depending where in the world you are playing).

5. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2016
    Belgrade
    I just wait for somebody to say "try reversing your cable" thing :).

Rigel7 likes this.

6. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama

7. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

take a wire and touch the jack cup to the bridge when all hooked up, any changes in noise? If so you have a broken/bad ground.
    sometimes just a fiber of copper wire is bent over and shorting out at the switch or pots.

post pics of the back of the pickguard showing all the pots and switch. a couple of angles to see all sides of the parts.

next step is often unsolder the pickups hot leads and using gator clips to jack cable test pickups by themselves. then try testing one pickup attached at a time. another section of parts (like without switch but with pots and caps). and so on until you locate.

LowThudd likes this.

8. Rigel7

Rigel7 TDPRI Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    No, I can be sitting in the dark and it'll be the same.

9. Rigel7

Rigel7 TDPRI Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    Not bad enough yet for Dr Expert. Actually, there's not a lot I take to him these days.

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS

11. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    You said grounds. Did you check the spring claw ground? The come loose common enough.

Also, like mentioned, you could have a small strand of wire shorting. I've had that.

I have also had a situation where a pickup lead was mostly broken at the pickup, and just dangling by a strand. That caused noise also.

You can try spraying the pots with Deoxit. I recently did this on a hollowbody because the pots were scratchy. But, it also got rid of some noise and also a howl I had under heavy drive.

12. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    Do you live in an old house with 50's or 60's wiring(2 conductor only, no ground)? I do and I get that all the time. You put your volume full up and it's ok but as the dial the vol back it gets worst. Just a thought! Platefire

13. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    It gets worse in positions 2 & 4. That’s odd and unless there is a serious pickup grounding issue, I can only suspect it’s an external source of RF that your picking up.

With my Strat, into a high gain amp, in positions 1, 3, 5, I get that familiar single coil hum that one gets from single coils into a high gain amp. Positions 2 & 4 are silent unless I have my phone in my pocket. The phone puts out all sorts of RF and even in a shielded body, the noise gets picked up. Oddly enough, I don’t here the phone RF in positions 1, 3, 5.

14. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    I think from memory these like the US Vintage pickups are not rwrp, so not hum cancelling, in 2-4 position. If anything they might be noisier.

Shielding in these isn't extensive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.