Strat necks on a tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Milspec, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I realize that the heal pocket is different between the two (tele is square and strat is rounded) but what would be the issues with installing a strat neck on a tele? Does that rounded heal make a big difference?

Fender has done that on a few models before (the Chris Shiflett Deluxe comes to mind) but does it create any issues with the stability of the neck?

I know, it would look "weired" to many, but I ran into a deal on the exact neck that I want for this pine body project (right profile, frets, scale, finish, etc.) except that it is a strat neck. I don't really care that the headstock would be different, I play them regardless of such frankenstein aspects, but I worry that there might be a problem with the neck shifting due to the heal shape being different.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  2. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

strat neck on a tele looks good, but a tele neck on a strat is unspeakably cool. sheer bad ass.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  3. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I love the big strat headstock/neck on a tele.

A 22 fret neck covers the gap in the pocket but it’s not a deal breaker to slap a 21 fret in there.

I haven’t tried the tele neck on a strat yet.

[​IMG]

radiocaster and Milspec like this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

A Strat neck fits a Tele better than a Tele neck fits a Strat.

schmee, DADGAD and Milspec like this.
  5. Ydwen Jones

Ydwen Jones Tele-Meister

I'm not a big fan of a Strat neck on a Tele or vice versa. I like my Tele to be a Tele. It's just perfect the way it is.

Milspec likes this.
  6. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

That is pretty much the direction I am considering. I don't think a tele neck works well on a strat due to the ill-fit and intonation issues, but as long as it isn't a problem going strat to a tele, I think I found my neck. I did some research on the Shiflett Deluxe model that Fender produced and that neck does have the same rounded heal of a strat so if it was good enough for a production run it should be good enough for my needs right?

7. memiller

memiller Tele-Meister

Don't. Just smash it on there and go. That face of the neck pocket is essentially vestigial. You could remove it completely and it wouldn't matter as long as the sides and the neck heel are cut properly. There's nowhere near as much tension on a guitar neck as people think there is, and the sides shouldn't allow any rotation.

brookdalebill and Milspec like this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It’ll work.
    I’ve done it a bunch of times.

9. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

A tele neck won't fit a strat pocket without routing.
    A strat neck is direct fit in a tele pocket, as mentioned there's just going to be gaps, barely noticeable with a 22frets neck.

Photos from Warmoth site:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JL_LI, TeleTucson, tlsmack and 5 others like this.
  10. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I just completed a Stralecaster©. Strat neck was just a drop-in, fits like a glove :)

I have the feeling that the string tension went way down with the strat neck - three-fret bends with any string on any part of the neck are a breeze. Even four-fret bends are doable. It's not a question of strings - I've got the same Elixir 10-46 set in multiple guitars. It's so fun to play that I've not even managed to finish the setup yet :D

11. bladeswitcher

bladeswitcher TDPRI Member

Or, rounding off the corners of the tele neck.

I just installed a tele neck on an ebay Robert Cray body. I figured the neck was the more easily replaceable part . . . plus, if I ever changed my mind and wanted to put a strat neck on this body I didn't want the neck pocket wrong. The scale length is the same on a tele and strat neck so just keep the end length the same. Simple matter to ease the corners of the neck until the bolt holes line up. Worked great.

ETA: Plus, sandpaper and files are cheaper than buying a router.

JCL50 and JeffBlue like this.
  12. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I prefer tele necks on teles and strats.

13. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

If your strat or tele body is MIM, with that special routing, a tele neck will fit just fine, as well as a strat. Of course, the pickguard probably won't.

Attached Files:

t guitar floyd and JCL50 like this.
  14. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

It was good enough for Clapton. :)

t guitar floyd and Milspec like this.
  15. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Holic

Here's a can of worms, talk amongst yourselves::D

Fact or Fiction: The extra mass of a big 70's strat headstock will add sustain to your Tele.

I always kinda wanted a tele neck on a strat body with a lone humbucker at bridge, maybe even angled. I don't even know why I want this, but would love to see a pic if you have one!!!!:)

16. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'd assumed that because this is a production guitar from Fender that the Shifflett model has either an appropriate rounded heel pocket for the strat neck or the strat neck has a squared off heel for the tele body pocket. Surely they're not dropping in a the strat heel into a tele pocket straight from line are they (which will work easily, like others have said)? Are they?

17. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Holic

The Schiflet is a strat shape, both neck heel and pocket. I'm too lazy to upload the pics, but you can find them at Stratosphere.

18. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

I didn't think of doing this, but you are right.
    Any way, in most cases, a Tele neck in a strat body will be a lot more work than a strat neck in a tele body.
    The MIM pocket shown by @GuitarJonz is an interesting solution I didn't know about.

19. cjrincon03

cjrincon03 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Whoa ! I was just thinking about this concept myself , and here we have confirmed it will work . Great ! I think I want a strat neck in my next tele project

20. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

As long as you route the neck pocket to fit the radius of the Strat heel, there's no functional or sonic difference.

Back in the 70s I put a mid-60s Strat neck on a Tele body I made fron hard maple. I got rid of it before the bright tone split my head open and killed me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.