strat build(s) 3 and 4...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mistermikev, Feb 1, 2019.

1. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

so got one neck profile done... but I was out of breath a few times... but then I'm old and in rough shape so... fairly thin profile ended up at .77 at the first and .90 at the 12th... the asym is quite nice as you can get a nice thicker feel on the low side but slide your thumb towards the high e and it feels very fast/thin.

[​IMG][​IMG]

a shot of my cavity prep (no jokes please): put some true oil in there then did some shielding paint after.[​IMG]

so then clamp city...

[​IMG]

hot off the press... er um... clamps?[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

had to take several breaks as it was killing my back to use this sander but finally done with that part anyway!

[​IMG]

nice solid join between the mahog and maple

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

so keeping an eye on weight... looks like 3lb 8oz body, 1lb 5oz neck, 2oz per pickup so 8oz, 1lb 3oz bridge, 8oz tuners so 7lb? still will be removing some pickup wood and a deep belly cut - I'm guessing that will take about 12oz off so estimating just over 6lbs here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

got a little hairy this week when I dry fit my top and cut the neck pocket for my set neck version. the neck needs to be glued before I attach the top... but wouldn't be able to cut the top with the neck installed so it's a catch 22.

[​IMG]

now to deal with the rounded corners... I'm not that great with chisels... but give me a laminate file and I'm right at home (see below)

[​IMG][​IMG]

spent a lot of this week building/testing my binding jig... required quite a bit of tweaking. Added and then removed springs, changed the length for tension several times... to get it just right. these drawer slides have built in mechanism/springs for making a 'soft close' which is nice. the carriage doesn't just drop... it eases back into position.

[​IMG]

rebuilt my plexi piece because I couldn't cut the last 1/8" right up at the neck pocket - literally was that close. So rebuilt and now it has plenty of room.

[​IMG]

it works pretty intuitively. nice and straight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is perfect everywhere except right at the highest points...you can kind of see here. My donut was simply a plumbing piece that is a cover for faucet pipe. had a 7/8" hole already, and has a nice slope. It is a hair too large (approx 1.5") around and this is preventing complete flattness on most of the guitar. The two closeups below show that it drifts almost a 1/16th at those spots.

For this guitar: it will kind of be cool. There is going to be some manual shaping of the 1/2 round as it won't dig in as much on the sides... but will dig in fully at the back. This should follow that pretty good so I'm going to use it as is... but will likely build a new donut at the point where I use it again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

guitarbuilder and Zepfan like this.
  3. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

don't think I'm bob villa or anything but just thought it might be nice to show a time lapse of my set neck carving... here it is with the facets drawin:

[​IMG]

halfway through the first facet (3mins)

[​IMG]

facet 1 done:

[​IMG]then hold at 22.5 degrees and facet 2 done

[​IMG]

then hold at 67.5 degrees and facet 3 done:

[​IMG]

sm thing on the other side... about 10-15mins per side total. this side shows them after being blended together:

[​IMG]

move my clamps and do the vallute

[​IMG]

the blend the vallute/heel on the spindle:

[​IMG]

thanks to vallute, heel truss, ebony overlay and fretboard, and 1.75 width at the nut... this thing is very rigid. can't bend it at all yet it's .786 thick at the 1st. no flex in the headstock at all.[​IMG]

the wood I used here is something I have a lot of. wanted to use it for this neck to see if it would be "pretty enough" for a body. It has all these 'brown specs" and it didn't occur to me till now what they are - or at least what I think they are: ambrosia? there are no holes anywhere and I thought ambrosia typically would have that. they are just tiny versions of what looks like ambrosia here and there. Would love some enlightenment on this topic. [​IMG]

for the bolt neck... i wanted to get my neck attached before I cut the pickup and trem cavities from the top... so even though I hadn't cut my neck relief on the back... I drilled my ferrule holes to depth and bolted her up.

[​IMG]

drew my neck lines on the body and checked it against the top centerline - looking good. then used a level and shims to get my top sitting flat on the radius and clamped it down ensuring my template was matching up with my centerline. used a combo square to ensure the but end was sitting correct above my binding rabbet.

[​IMG]

routered out my pickups and trem cavity...

took the whole thing off and set it at an angle to do the jack plate...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

glued up my set neck version... MORE CLAMPS!!![​IMG]

and removed all the clamps (28hrs later... 24 to dry and 4 to remove all the clamps!)...

[​IMG]

followed basically the sm proceedure for the set neck but had to elevate my template 3/8" to sit on top of the fretboard...[​IMG]

and all done w that!

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.