strat build(s) 3 and 4...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mistermikev, Feb 1, 2019.

1. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

One slightly more traditional, one "radical"! Truth be told, after I bought my 25.5" scale rosewood fretboard I was regretting not going with a 25" scale because that sl just fits me... so I figured it isn't that much more work to build 2 so why not, after all - I want me to be happy!

Here are the concept drawings...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

some details:

[​IMG]

my templates:
    [​IMG]

rough cut weight...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

got both my bodys fully hogged out, belly cut 'steps' in... both right at 3lbs.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Barncaster likes this.
  2. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Meister

Very cool! How do you cut those steps?!

3. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

thank you sir. I just cut them with my router... followed the template for the belly cut and raised the bit a bit (hehe) and moved the template in a bit.

4. Treadplatedual

Nice! I like the traditional-looking headstock with 3 on a side, can't wait to see it done!!!

5. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

Thank you tread plate dual. I kind of like that myself but had my doubts and how it might look in reality. I guess we'll see!

6. Treadplatedual

I like the idea of 3-on-a-side with straight string pull :D Ideas for future builds!

7. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

Cool. I'll be watching this one. What's the body woods Mike?

8. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

admittedly, I stole the concept from some small name korean brand I saw. Not quite the same but the jist. As with the blues... borrow from everyone but put your own spin on it... that's the way!

I very much appreciate your interest macrogats... half the reason I do it! Bodys are aaaaaah frican mahog. tops will be as pictured: one quilt and one flame, both 1/4". set neck will be flame with gabon fretboard. bolt will either be flame or birdseye with indian rosewood.

9. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

Niiiiiiice!

mistermikev likes this.
  10. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

feel like I got a lot done this weekend anyway! cut my rear trem cavity and my battery store...

[​IMG]

haven't bought material for covers yet so may have to alter the depth later but figured I might as well get them in there.

[​IMG]

also started the work for my radius jig this weekend... might have been better ways to do it as this felt like a lot of work but for better or worse here's how I approached;

started off with a 31.5" radius. I'm using poplar here and if I had to do over I'd have chosen oak or something a bit more rigid.

[​IMG]

after I got one rail cut out i trimmed it up nice and used it as the template for another 3 rails. Was planning on doubling up the rails to keep them from bending easily at the center.

[​IMG]

at top center here you can see the sled I made to ride the rails. Then I switched over to working on my neck pocket templates. since the one neck will have a 'paddle' it adds a little complexity to determining if it is on the body straight. I overcame this by adding a board at the back to 'raise up' my centerline. after precision 'jacking' with the clamps and loosening/tightening screws, etc (hehe)... I arrived at a fit that is "tighter than a fish's turd cutter" to quote Larry the cable guy.

[​IMG]

and the centerline is spot on:

[​IMG]

then routered out my pocket for the paddle neck:

[​IMG]

11. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

so, got my radius jig somewhat setup. need to fine tune it a bit... trim off the ends, add some teflon spacers from a cutting board to my router mount so it won't rock, and trim off just a hair from the inside of it so it slides a little bit easier. I want a little bit of resistance so I decided to forgo the bearings.

[​IMG]

the convex version is sitting on my rails with approx 1.75" of room I could move downward, and the sled is sitting 2.25 high. this is about perfect as the blade needs to stick out 1/2" from the bottom to achieve a 30" radius. adjusting this thing is sort of a pain and since the concave version sits a hair low... think I'll probably just mount a couple of 2x4s to raise the body up instead. have enough clearance to do 22" piece so perfect for a body. a bit tired so this is as far as we go tonight.

[​IMG]

12. SandyMays

SandyMays TDPRI Member

Wow your not messing around! great job and loved the concept drawing of the white one.

mistermikev likes this.
  13. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

thank you for saying so. I do appreciate. Might be a bit ambitious as white is next to impossible to keep clean but... for better for worse i'm gonna go for it.
    thanks again for the reply.

14. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

So that jig is to do a 30" radius to the top? This is getting interesting - subscribed.
    Rex

Treadplatedual likes this.
  15. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

yessir. should be quite the challenge because the edge is going to get a 1/2" roundover and binding. still have to build a jig for binding on that edge so... need to snag some drawer slides!
    thank you for your interest.

Barncaster and Treadplatedual like this.
  16. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

last night I roughed out my two necks... learned why birdseye is often called 'rock maple' (it's not because it's meant for rock n roll). long story long I probably ruined a fairly new timber wolf blade with a kink as I tried to back out of a cut and it was bound (saw was off).

[​IMG]

my wood grain dictated to me that the bolt version is going to be a rev headstock... I had to agree.

[​IMG]

flamed maple piece isn't looking so bad either. really big wide flames in this so can't wait to see it planed down. almost looks like quilt when you catch it at the right angle. lots of little tan flecks on this piece so figured I try out a neck in it.[​IMG]

cut a small piece of birdseye for the bolt version. neck pickups will mount to this and spring claw will screw into it. need to remove the cove edge so it sits flush will likely do that next.

[​IMG]

17. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

"like all the bowling alleys had been destroyed... sos I spent most my time looking for beer". and that would explain why all I have to show for the last two weeks is the following...

here's how I did my neck pocket for the bolt on w 7" radius at heel: 1 rough cut around neck pocket leaving approx 1/8" gap, cover neck template with masking tape...

[​IMG]

2 clamp everything down and ensure it is on center...[​IMG]

3 fill 1/8" gap with epoxy...[​IMG]

4 break the pieces apart - later I will use this as a guide to make a 3/4" template. [​IMG]

same process for my trem rout cover...

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

made some truss rod templates:[​IMG]

finished neck pockets:

[​IMG]

kept checking my birdseye and it was stable over the last two weeks (since I rough cut it) so I planed it down and it's ready for final shape cut.

[​IMG][​IMG]

made a template for my gretsch inlays... will lay this at an angle on the fretboard to keep the inlay flat on the radius and then dremel out the areas...[​IMG]

got my set neck stock planed down and sanded...

[​IMG]

installed my truss rod in the bolt version. used a bull nose 1/4 in combo with a normal 1/4 bit so that the bottom of the channel is mostly radiused except for the parts where the truss requires a flat bottom. sharpened my chisel and cut some corners... voilla, fits like a glove.[​IMG][​IMG]

and that's all I got in me today! man am I beat!

Barncaster and PingGuo like this.
  18. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Great job!!

mistermikev likes this.
  19. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

thank you sir!

20. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

using my jig to cut the truss access holes in the fretboard... shims to prop it up to square...

[​IMG]

and here is my truss access closeup

[​IMG]

had a tiny little blowout on the very edge of the bottom wing on the headstock... only about 1/8" but I couldn't find the piece so I routered out about 3/16 x 3/16 x 1/2 and glued on a small piece... area will be covered by headstock overlay and binding anyway. the dark spot is a shallow burn mark where I stopped w my router also will be covered.

[​IMG]

and all better!

[​IMG]

used a couple of finish nails to line up and hold the bolt version fretboard on...

[​IMG]

and glued up the fretboard for the bolt version...

[​IMG]

forstnered (is that a verb?) out my neck pocket for my set version...

[​IMG]

and routered out the pocket... she's sitting 1/4 (top) + 1/8 (typical fender overhang) above so will have to barely touch things with the radius when I get there...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

made a funny video...

neck joint test

[​IMG]

routed my inlays using the jig above... but this time at an angle to minimize sanding. got my inlays all ready to be cut, will take them out, glue up the neck, trim it, then reinstall them.

[​IMG]

also redid my wiring diagram for the strat style... think I might use a piece of vero board to make wiring in the pickups (and potential replace) easier.

[​IMG]

Barncaster and Treadplatedual like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.